Does anyone know how to get a DLink DE- 220 Network Card working?

Does anyone know how to get a DLink DE- 220 Network Card working?

Post by Darren and Marla Welso » Wed, 01 Sep 1999 04:00:00

I have the same NIC and the same problem.  They told me they do not support
Linux, even though their literature says they do.  They recommended I use a
Novel NE2000 compatible driver.  Nada.  I am planning on returning this and
getting a 3COM card.

> A while ago a bought a DLink DE-220 ISA Network Card for my P-120.

> It worked well under Crash OS '95 however I cannot seem to get it working
> with either Caladea 2 or Red Hat 5.2. I have tried to set it up as a
NE2000
> compatable however it doesn't work. I e-mailed DLink and they don't have a
> Linux driver. I have just started using linux so it is posibly just a
stupid
> mistake on my part. If anyone has an idea on where to get drivers could
you

Post by Steven Lawe » Thu, 02 Sep 1999 04:00:00

A while ago a bought a DLink DE-220 ISA Network Card for my P-120.

It worked well under Crash OS '95 however I cannot seem to get it working
with either Caladea 2 or Red Hat 5.2. I have tried to set it up as a NE2000
compatable however it doesn't work. I e-mailed DLink and they don't have a
Linux driver. I have just started using linux so it is posibly just a stupid
mistake on my part. If anyone has an idea on where to get drivers could you

Does anyone know how to get a DLink DE- 220 Network Card working?

Post by Gary » Thu, 02 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Yes!
I had the same problem - disable the plug & play OS setting in your BIOS,
and the card will be recognised as a NE*000 clone.
Mine now works fine.

Post by Alex Tayl » Fri, 03 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> A while ago a bought a DLink DE-220 ISA Network Card for my P-120.

> It worked well under Crash OS '95 however I cannot seem to get it working
> with either Caladea 2 or Red Hat 5.2. I have tried to set it up as a NE2000
> compatable however it doesn't work. I e-mailed DLink and they don't have a
> Linux driver. I have just started using linux so it is posibly just a stupid
> mistake on my part. If anyone has an idea on where to get drivers could you

(Sorry, can't mail right now.)

Anyway, the DE-220 works just fine with the ISA NE2000 driver (ne.o).
There are two gotchas, however:

 - All ISA NE2000 cards *must* have the base I/O address of the
   card specified as a parameter to the driver.  For example, my
   DE220 uses address 300.  So to manually load the driver, I
   would say "modprobe ne io=0x300".
   To load automatically, I put "ne" in /etc/modules, and make
   sure "options ne io=0x300" appears in /etc/conf.modules.

 - This is where the other gotcha comes into play - you need to
   have a fixed base I/O address for the card.  However, recent
   versions of the DE-220 are PnP cards.  Fortunately, you can
   disable Plug'n'Play on the card itself.  DO THIS.
   To do so, you need to boot into DOS (plain DOS command line,
   *not* a Windows DOS box), and run the SETUP program off the
   driver disk that should have come with the 220 card.  (If not,
   you can get it off D-Link's website.)  It's a pretty easy
   program to use - just turn OFF Plug'n'Play (PnP), and choose
   suitable IRQ and I/O Port settings (i.e. ones that aren't
   used by anything else - 10 and 2c0 are usually good choices).
   Then boot back into Linux and load the ne driver as describe above.

Once the driver is loaded successfully, you can go ahead and configure
networking protocols (probably TCP/IP).

Good luck...

Alex Taylor
--
.signature temporarily out of order

1. Strange behaviour: NE-2000 driver and DE-220-T DLink ethernet card

I am using the NE-2000 driver for a DLink DE-220-T ethernet card.  It
works, but only sometimes.  /sbin/route shows that the kernel is using
the routing table to direct outgoing packets to the eth0 interface, but
/sbin/ifconfig shows that the packets are NOT being transmitted through
the interface.

The funny part of this problem is:

Once my DHCP client daemon has configured the eth0 interface, and once I
have added the appropriate routes to the routing table, I start to ping
any host on my network or beyond my gateway machine and observe what I
described above.  HOWEVER, after anywhere between 5 minutes and half an
hour later, without me touching my machine, the packets spontaneously
begin to get through the eth0 interface and everything works fine!

Does anyone have any insight into this, or, since I suspect the problem
may be in an incompatibility with the driver and ethernet card, does
anyone have a driver known to work with the DLink DE-220-T card?

Thanks,
Hugh.

2. [Fwd: About old IDE HDDs.]

3. ethernet Dlink DE-220 PCT not detected

4. VNC on Solaris for Intel

5. DLink DE-220

6. Source for mount command?

7. Mandrake 7.1 and D link DE-220 network cards

8. adduser program (and some others - maybe)

9. D-Link DE-220 Network Card

10. Dlink 220 ether cards question

11. D-Link DE 220 Ethernet Cards

12. D-Link DE 220 card for RH-5.2 ?