Linux on Cyrix's MediaGX processor

Post by Mohd Hanafiah Abdull » Thu, 20 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Has anyone successfully installed Linux on a Cyrix's MediaGX processor.
I believe Cyrix has integrated VGA, Sound, and Memory Controller
circuitries on silicon together with the processor.  This looks like a good
solution for Thin Client type of environment based on Linux, assuming no
major modifications to Linux is necessary.  I think that the drivers for the
abovementioned peripherals are in the BIOS provided by Cyrix.  Will that pose
a problem for Linux as it is now?  This board is supposed to be much cheaper
than regular boards for desktop PCs.  A Cyrix rep did mention that they woul
like to sell complete PCs based on MediaGx for around US$1,000.

DesignName  Revision CPU Chipset I/O         TVOUT  AudioCODEC
----------  -------- --- ------- ---         -----  ----------
MKTG253     2.0      GXm 5520    NSC-PC87317 CH7003 AD1819

The website in refernce is: http://www.cyrix.com/2c1b3a4z

Napi
--
http://www.cs.indiana.edu/hyplan/napi.html

Linux on Cyrix's MediaGX processor

Post by John Smit » Sun, 30 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Linux runs on a MediaGX system, I have tested it myself.  However I do not
beleave SVGA modes are supported under XFree86 yet.  This will come
eventually and if you willing to wait you can use the VGA16 server for now.