About memcards

Post by Nivel_1 » Mon, 28 Jan 2002 04:45:07

Hi! All
This Q is just to know if it WOULD BE possible or not to use those
CompactFlash memcards for other thing than storing pics. I recently saw
on the Inet one of those memcards able to store 1 Gb. It is amazing!! It
is very small!! I think it would very easy for computers enterprises to
add to the standard architecture one small and tiny slot for
CompactFlash cards. Finally, pics are just one type of data format,
Aren't they?? Floppy units and CD units would became obsolete the next
day, ... ... I think. May be I'm wrong.
Anyway, many thanks in advance for your patience

About memcards

Post by Dances With Cro » Mon, 28 Jan 2002 05:52:00

On Sat, 26 Jan 2002 20:45:07 +0100, Nivel_13 staggered into the Black
Sun and said:

Quote:> This Q is just to know if it WOULD BE possible or not to use those
> CompactFlash memcards for other thing than storing pics.

Of course, provided the thing that reads the CF card is also capable of
writing to it.  There are some USB CF readers that are currently only
capable of reading.  Some of them can write, too.  The filesystem used
on CF cards is pretty simple--the USB readers act as normal USB Mass
Storage devices.

Quote:> on the Inet one of those memcards able to store 1 Gb. It is amazing!!
> It is very small!!

Yes, but the read/write speed is pretty slow, all things considered.

Quote:> I think it would very easy for computers enterprises to add to the
> standard architecture one small and tiny slot for CompactFlash cards.

There are a number of laptops that have CF readers integrated.  Actual
makes+models escape me atm, but that's what Google is for.  And sure,
it'd be easy, but the manufacturers are not interested in easy.  They're
interested in what they can make money on.  If you want this, write to
various manufacturers demanding this feature, and get your friends/
colleagues to do the same.

Quote:> Floppy units and CD units would became obsolete the next day, ... ...
> I think. May be I'm wrong.

Yes, you are.

2 CD-R blanks:  $0.50 , 1.2G storage, can be read in 99.6% of machines
2 CD-RW blanks: $7.00 , 1.2G storage, can be read in 90.0% of machines
1 1G CF card: $450.00*, 1.0G storage, requires external device in 96% of
machines

Not to mention that there are several billion CDs already out there, and
it will be necessary to read/write them for at least 5 years to come.
One lesson that anyone should be able to pick up on is that a new,
better technology cannot make an older tech just vanish.  ISA cards,
DOS, analog modems, 3.5" floppies, Windows... they're all still around
despite the existence of better alternatives.  You have to deal with the
effects of an existing base of installed systems, and the only thing
that helps there is time.

Maybe it'll happen eventually, but I wouldn't hold my breath for at
least 3 years yet.

[*] Pricewatch doesn't list 1G cards, so I took the 512M price, doubled
it, and added $50.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /

About memcards

Post by Nivel_1 » Mon, 28 Jan 2002 06:22:37

Dances With Crows escribi:
Quote: