Sending SCSI commands to SCSI device

Post by Fred Spi » Sat, 28 Jul 2001 03:38:26

Hello,

I'm looking for an application that would allow me to send SCSI
commands to a SCSI device. Not only INQUIRY or TEST UNIT READY, but
ALL commands.

I already know about the sg_utils but it doesn't allow me to send out
commands like MODE SENSE/SELECT or RESERVE.

I could write my own application or extend the sg_utils but I wanted
to know if someone has been working on that already.

Thanks
Fred

Post by Morris Dove » Sat, 28 Jul 2001 04:38:22

> Hello,

> I'm looking for an application that would allow me to send SCSI
> commands to a SCSI device. Not only INQUIRY or TEST UNIT READY, but
> ALL commands.

> I already know about the sg_utils but it doesn't allow me to send out
> commands like MODE SENSE/SELECT or RESERVE.

> I could write my own application or extend the sg_utils but I wanted
> to know if someone has been working on that already.

Fred...

Two suggestions:

[1] Take a look at the Linux SCSI driver code and header files
[2] Google search on "Linux SCSI driver"

HTH
--
Morris Dovey
West Des Moines, Iowa USA

1. Sending SCSI commands to 'claimed' devices...

hello all,

Is it possible to send SCSI commands to devices that are busy (local
disk, mounted disks, disks claimed by LVM etc.)?

I tried to send SCSI INQUIRY command to devices that were 'claimed' but
the command failed. The command worked
when the device was not claimed. The following were the ioctls I tried:

No.       Disk                        IOCTL                   Remarks
1.       Fixed SCSI disk        DKIOCMD         device cannot be opened
in diagnostic mode
2.       Fixed SCSI Disk       SCIOLCMD        could not send SCIOSTART
3.       Other FC Disk          DKIOLCMD       device cannot be opened
in diagnostic mode
4.       Other FC Disk          SCIOLCMD        could not send
SCIOLSTART

regards,
Vikram

2. Call for old information: i82365.c

3. Sending SCSI device commands ...

4. what version of dga am I running?

5. Sending user commands to scsi device?

6. web advertising agencies

7. Sending SCSI device commands???

8. Is this an impossible question?

9. Sending/recieving scsi commands - DLT on Solaris

10. scsi ioctl send command?

11. How to send SCSI Medium Changer commands?

12. : sending low level SCSI commands in SunOS 4.1.4

13. (sol 2.4) number scsi devices / num. scsi ports