pro-audio filesystem?

Post by Dave » Sat, 26 Jan 2002 08:17:32

I am setting up a pro-audio recording studio using Linux instead of Mac or
Windows. I need to know what file system is the fastest to record live audio
onto the hard drives. Linux can work with the ext2 and FAT32 both. Which is
faster at writing? Accessing for playback is not as critical. I know Reiser
is faster with very small files, but audio files can be quite large, and
ext2 has Reiser beat at that (if you can believe benchmarks).

Thanks,
Dave

pro-audio filesystem?

Post by Kevi » Sat, 26 Jan 2002 08:40:42

I also do pro-audio recording on Linux.  I would not use FAT32
for anything.  If you want speed, go with fast SCSI.  But, be
warned that if you go with 10K rpm drives, they'll be noisy.  I
use 7200 RPM SCSI drives.

G'luck....

> I am setting up a pro-audio recording studio using Linux instead of Mac or
> Windows. I need to know what file system is the fastest to record live audio
> onto the hard drives. Linux can work with the ext2 and FAT32 both. Which is
> faster at writing? Accessing for playback is not as critical. I know Reiser
> is faster with very small files, but audio files can be quite large, and
> ext2 has Reiser beat at that (if you can believe benchmarks).

> Thanks,
> Dave

pro-audio filesystem?

Post by Frit » Sat, 26 Jan 2002 10:45:12

You could for go the file system and write directly to another harddrive.
I've heard of people doing this it will just dump the audio directly onto
the HD as a PCM stream (sort of like for a cd). I have no experience with
this myself but it might do to further investigate as this would probably be
the best 'raw performance' option.

Quote:> I am setting up a pro-audio recording studio using Linux instead of Mac or
> Windows. I need to know what file system is the fastest to record live
audio
> onto the hard drives. Linux can work with the ext2 and FAT32 both. Which
is
> faster at writing? Accessing for playback is not as critical. I know
Reiser
> is faster with very small files, but audio files can be quite large, and
> ext2 has Reiser beat at that (if you can believe benchmarks).

> Thanks,
> Dave

1. SCSI driver for Pro-Audio Spectrum 16

        Does anybody has written an SCSI driver for LUNIX using the SCSI
interface on a sound card ProAudio Spectrum 16. I have a CDROM
connected to the card and I want to used it with LINUX, which is a gret
UNIX system for PC,
Thanks

        Marc

2. I dare you to tackle this Netscape problem...choose your weapon.

3. pro-audio card with dig. i/o?

4. Painless way to standardize UIDs across servers?

5. Pro-Audio CD-ROM

6. Third party hard disk on SunBlade100

7. Mediavision Pro-Audio Spectrum Sound Card

8. metro X and X setup question

9. Sound Blaster Pro vs. Pro Audio Spectrum

10. Pro-Audio Spectrum 16 SCSI supported?

11. Audio mixer for /dev/audio or USB audio?

12. Audio filesystem ?

13. filesystem to use with Audio CD