Video card

Post by ACS » Fri, 27 Aug 1999 04:00:00

I've been using a rather old Creative Labs card on my OpenLinux/RedHat 6.0
box but I'm tired of having to run graphics programs in 640x480 screens to
prevent system lockups and crashes.  I'm looking for a new video card and
would like to know which, if any, new cards on the market work really well
with OpenLinux 2.2 and RedHat 6.0.

And how do you go about swapping video cards in Linux?  Do you change the
drivers first then power down, install the new card, and then start the
computer again?  Or should I install some sort of generic video display
driver (VGA), put in the new card then install the new drivers?  I've not
quite figured this part out yet with Linux.

B. Bye

Video card

Post by LhD Administrato » Mon, 30 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> And how do you go about swapping video cards in Linux?  Do you change the

Well, any card will work in text mode, so you can set everything up in
text mode, then go into X.  Same for framebuffers, basically.
Or you could switch the settings, then switch the cards, but that leaves
less room for error.  There is also telnetting into the box if you do end
up in some incompatible video state and need to tweak the settings.

LhD Administrator
LhD: Linux Hardware Database
http://lhd.datapower.com

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

1. Trident 9680 Video Card vs. Cirrus Login 5430 Video Card

Greetings!

    I'm in a situation here...  Got my choice of a Trident 9680 or a Cirrus
5430 video card.  Both are PCI, both have 2 megs.

    They're both supported under Win/NT 4.0..  Here's the rub - Which is the
better card under X-free86?  Are there problems with either of them?  I'd be
after 800x600x256, will these cards handle this mode under X?

    Thanks!

             Heath Doane

2. AMD Dual processors & Linux????

3. video card info - what is the fastest video Card on X?

4. Problem with telnet

5. Programming video card (ATI card w/ s-video & tv-out) Need direction to correct info

6. mail command | view local machine mail with Mozilla

7. Setup TV-Card and additional Video-In on Video Card

8. NCSA 1.4.1 and PGP/PEM

9. On-Board video vs PCI video card: can linux recognize?

10. Jaton Video 67 PRO PCI VIDEO CARD DRIVERS

11. Integrated video plus a video card

12. Sun Video Plus drivers for SBUS video card ?

13. Playing video to firewire or SDI video card