CD/DVD RW Combo drive

Post by Dave Mille » Sun, 09 May 2004 08:11:16

I have just swapped a CD RW drive with a CD/DVD RW combo drive that
handles all formats.

When using these drives under Whinedoze(XP), there is a ceremony to be
performed in the drive properties, which involves the turning off of
'Allow CD recording on this drive'(or similar) in order to write DVDs. The
reverse has to be done in order to go back to writing CDs.

Before I start making coasters, can anyone tell if I need to look for a
similar switch or incantation when using the drive under linux or will the
relevant modules handle things better?

I had a quick look at a blank 4.7GB DVD+RW using Xcdroast and GnomeToaster
and they only showed 2.2xx GB available, however 'mount /dev/dvd /mnt/dvd'
with a formatted and partly filled(on Whinedoze) 4.7GB DVD-RAM results in
the correct files and free space showing, and the disc can be read and
written to. Running Xcdroast or GnomeToaster with this disc(mounted or
unmounted) in the drive shows the drive as unavailable, but still shows it
as having having only 2.2xx GB available.

Would I be correct in thinking that Xcdroast and GnomeToaster are only
aware of cdrecord and not using dvdrecord? Is there a configuration
option in the foregoing two programs for DVDs? If not, what alternative
GUIs are available for DVD creation(mainly data).

Here is the output of dvdrecord --scanbus:

dvdrtools v0.1.3
Portions (c) 2002 Red Hat, Inc.
Based on:
Cdrecord 1.11a15 (i386-redhat-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2001 J?rg Schilling
Linux sg driver version: 3.1.24
Using libscg version 'schily-0.5'

1997 J. Schilling').
scsibus0:
        0,0,0     0) 'HL-DT-ST' 'DVDRAM GSA-4081B' 'A100' Removable CD-ROM
        0,1,0     1) *
<snip irrelevant>

Any hints and tips gratefully accepted.

Regards,
Dave

CD/DVD RW Combo drive

Post by Dances With Crow » Sun, 09 May 2004 08:38:41

On Sat, 08 May 2004 00:11:16 +0100, Dave Millen staggered into the Black
Sun and said:

Quote:> I have just swapped a CD RW drive with a CD/DVD RW combo drive that
> handles all formats.  When using these drives under Whinedoze(XP),
> there is a ceremony to be performed in the drive properties, which
> involves the turning off of 'Allow CD recording on this drive'(or
> similar) in order to write DVDs. The reverse has to be done in order
> to go back to writing CDs.

Yuck!

Quote:> Can anyone tell if I need to look for a similar switch or incantation
> when using the drive under linux or will the relevant modules handle
> things better?

I have a CD-RW/DVD+RW drive, and I can use growisofs (for burning
DVD+R(W) media) and cdrecord (for burning CD-R(W) media) interchangeably
without any fuss.

Quote:> Would I be correct in thinking that Xcdroast and GnomeToaster are only
> aware of cdrecord and not using dvdrecord? Is there a configuration
> option in the foregoing two programs for DVDs? If not, what
> alternative GUIs are available for DVD creation(mainly data).

k3b is the best CD- and DVD-writing frontend I've tried, bar none.
It'll use cdrecord, cdrecord-dvd, cdrdao, or growisofs depending on what
it identifies the drive as.  XCDRoast is an embarrassment.  You might
not have the latest version of k3b available in RPM form since you're
running Redhat though.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /    mail: TRAP + SPAN don't belong
http://www.brainbench.com     /                Hire me!

CD/DVD RW Combo drive

Post by Dave Mille » Sun, 09 May 2004 20:34:49

Thanks...

> On Sat, 08 May 2004 00:11:16 +0100, Dave Millen staggered into the Black
> Sun and said:
>> I have just swapped a CD RW drive with a CD/DVD RW combo drive that
>> handles all formats.  When using these drives under Whinedoze(XP), there
>> is a ceremony to be performed in the drive properties, which involves
>> the turning off of 'Allow CD recording on this drive'(or similar) in
>> order to write DVDs. The reverse has to be done in order to go back to
>> writing CDs.

> Yuck!

Indeed!

Quote:

> I have a CD-RW/DVD+RW drive, and I can use growisofs (for burning DVD+R(W)
> media) and cdrecord (for burning CD-R(W) media) interchangeably without
> any fuss.

Yes, I'd figured out that I would be able do it from the command line

Quote:>> ... If not, what alternative
>> GUIs are available for DVD creation(mainly data).

> k3b is the best CD- and DVD-writing frontend I've tried, bar none. It'll
> use cdrecord, cdrecord-dvd, cdrdao, or growisofs depending on what it
> identifies the drive as.  XCDRoast is an embarrassment.  You might not
> have the latest version of k3b available in RPM form since you're
> running Redhat though.

Cheers, I'll have a look at k3b and compile if necessary.

Regards,
Dave

CD/DVD RW Combo drive

Post by Dave Mille » Mon, 10 May 2004 00:40:02

> Cheers, I'll have a look at k3b and compile if necessary.

Thanks again, that was exactly what I was looking for. I had to install a
few devel packages before it would compile(I normally use Gnome, so didn't
have some of the KDE oriented ones installed). Everything went smoothly
though, and I'm most impressed!

Regards,
Dave

CD/DVD RW Combo drive

Post by Rand » Mon, 10 May 2004 15:01:12

> I have just swapped a CD RW drive with a CD/DVD RW combo drive that
> handles all formats.

> When using these drives under Whinedoze(XP), there is a ceremony to be
> performed in the drive properties, which involves the turning off of
> 'Allow CD recording on this drive'(or similar) in order to write DVDs. The
> reverse has to be done in order to go back to writing CDs.

> Before I start making coasters, can anyone tell if I need to look for a
> similar switch or incantation when using the drive under linux or will the
> relevant modules handle things better?

What the heck drive brand did you buy? I certainly don't have to turn
off CD recording with my Sony or Lite-on DVD RW drives, and I use
WinXP. That would be a royal pain.

1. Query good/bad experiences with CD-RW/DVD Combo Internal IDE drives

Hello,

Does anybody have any very good or very bad experiences using CD-RW/DVD
Combo Internal IDE drives on Linux?  (E.g. hardware compatibility /
drivers / support ... etc)

Particular models of interest to me are:
Samsung SM-352B
Sony CRX-300A

TIA,
nsb.

2. Shark Dasd

3. Will the ThinkPad combo CD-RW/DVD drive work in Linux?

4. pty's and crt windows

5. DVD SCSI burner, I want DVD+RW, DVD-RW, DVD-RAM

6. hard lockup on modprobe w83781d with Tyan Dual K7/Thunder

7. Ricoh CD, CD-R, CD-RW and DVD drive

8. Network and X Windows Conflict

9. Sony DVD-RW/CD-RW drive problems

10. CD-RW/DVD Combo

11. DVD/CD-RW Combo + notebook

12. DVD/CD-RW combo support?

13. Freecom CD-RW/DVD COMBO internal IDE