Celeron A366 vs. AMD K6-2 400

Post by Bert Konstanti » Tue, 13 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Which cpu should I choose for the same price:

Celeron A366 or AMD K6-2 400?

Maintasks: large databases and spreadsheets, internet, no games
OS: Linux, Win95b, BeOS

I have no mainboard, so advice for a board is appreciated too.

Albert

Celeron A366 vs. AMD K6-2 400

Post by Rod Roar » Tue, 13 Jul 1999 04:00:00

>Which cpu should I choose for the same price:

>Celeron A366 or AMD K6-2 400?

>Maintasks: large databases and spreadsheets, internet, no games
>OS: Linux, Win95b, BeOS

Tough to say... I tend to like the PPGA Celerons right now as being a
good value.  You should be able to get a Celeron 400 for about the
price of a K6-2/400.  Plus they're more overclockable.

Quote:>I have no mainboard, so advice for a board is appreciated too.

Check out the AOpen MX3L and MX3ZA.  Both have onboard sound (ALSA
drivers needed), and the latter also has decent onboard video and
supports 100 Mhz FSB.

-- Rod
Sunset Systems                           Preconfigured Linux Computers
http://www.sunsetsystems.com/                      and Custom Software

Celeron A366 vs. AMD K6-2 400

Post by Scott Marlow » Fri, 16 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> Which cpu should I choose for the same price:

> Celeron A366 or AMD K6-2 400?

> Maintasks: large databases and spreadsheets, internet, no games
> OS: Linux, Win95b, BeOS

Generally speaking, the strong suit of the AMD K series is integer
performance, and the strong suit of the Pentium / Celerons are floating
point.  Given the same clock rate, the AMD will run a database or web
server about 15-20% faster than the Celeron.  The Celeron will likely
run the spreadsheet and any graphics editor 20-50% faster.  At work,
I build web pages on my PII 300 with a GUI and things like GIMP and the
PII feels like a good choice there, but the web server is an
AMD K6-2-300 and it is more responsive than the similar PII-300 Linux
servers other folks have.

For a large database, L2 cache is nice, and the K6-2 will have way more
than a Celeron, depending on the motherboard.  I've build 5 or so
servers on K6-2s with the FIC VIA-MP3+ based motherboards and been very
happy.  Most of the FICA VIA based boards come with 1Meg L2 cache, and
are PCI 2.1 compliant and can handle and cache 512Megs of ram.

For Pentiums, we use Intel Mobos and cases.  Expensive, but reliable.
I don't have much experience with any other mobos for pentium / celeron
use.

1. AMD K6-2 300 vs Celeron 300a?????

Well, I have been shopping for a new motherboard/processor set up for some
time now. I was pretty much set on the AMD K6-2 300 with a FIC 503+
motherboard to run a Debian workstation on. After spending the day roaming
through many a computer store I have heard many a tale of problems with the
VIA chipset, the 503+ etc etc...I really was thinking that I wanted to go
with the AMD chip, cos of mixed feeling about intel. Trouble is everyone I
spoke with was raving about the Asus P2B and celeron 300a setup and its
grand overclocking ablilties and how that makes the K6-2 not even be able to
compete.

Even tho I think I care very little about overclocking, it still sounds cool
(know what I mean?) 450mhz for a couple hundred bucks is tempting! But, my
main concern is the motherboard and its reliablility and stablility. So I am
liking the P2B cos I have had nothing but luck with the Asus boards of my
past, and I am really fearing the VIA and ALI chipsets due to the hell I
hear the owners are having with them:(g200 for example)

Anyway. Was wondering what peoples experiences were with both of these CPU's
and especially the motherboards using linux, as this is my primary concern.
Most reviews seem biased towards windows and Icould give a rats ass about
that ;).

What are linux users experiencing with the celeron a? etc...

thanks in advance..

-----------------------------------------------------------*
Chris Schwan/ Systems Admin
Capital High School-Olympia School District

2. How to install win 2000 over linux from inside linux partition from folder with win setup no cd burner want windows back

3. Celeron vs AMD k6-2

4. CD-RW drive via PCMCIA SCSI drivers?

5. Any advantages running AMD K6 vs. AMD K6-2 w/3DNow!

6. XFree86 Configuration Problem

7. celeron 300a vs 333, 366, 400... celerons

8. recv() socket call returns ENOENT

9. RC5-64 and AMD K6-2 400

10. AMD K6-2/400

11. AMD K6 III 400 vs PIII 500

12. Upgraded from Intel Pentium 200MMX to AMD K6-2 400 3dNOW (Problems)

13. Linux on AMD K6-2/400?