motherboard trouble? Amd K5 trouble?

Post by Ervin Walt » Sun, 06 Oct 1996 04:00:00

I just got a new motherboard, processor, and memory.  I am now having
sig 11 problems and random faults.  I have read the sig 11 howto and i
have requested a new motherboard set and memory from my supplier, buti
was wondering if anyone else has had this trouble and determined
exactly what the problem is.

The motherboard has only MB-8500TVX on it.  The processor is an AMD K5
100 MHz, the memory is 72 pin nonparity 70 ns memory.  There is 256K
of pipeline burst cache.  The mother board is PCI.  As a note, Win95
also gets random errors.  However, I use linux 99% of the time and
would like to find a solution.  Like i said, I am getting new stuff in
the mail on tuesday.  I am just afraid that the new stuff will have
the same symptoms.

Any suggestions?  Please CC to my email box also.  Since I am haing
trouble with my machine, reading news is hard.

Thanks,
Erv

--
~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~
                                ____

   http://www.linux.org     \_________\/

motherboard trouble? Amd K5 trouble?

Post by William E. Powe » Sat, 12 Oct 1996 04:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

Quote:> I just got a new motherboard, processor, and memory.  I am now having
> sig 11 problems and random faults.  I have read the sig 11 howto and i
> have requested a new motherboard set and memory from my supplier, buti
> was wondering if anyone else has had this trouble and determined
> exactly what the problem is.

> The motherboard has only MB-8500TVX on it.  The processor is an AMD K5
> 100 MHz, the memory is 72 pin nonparity 70 ns memory.  There is 256K
> of pipeline burst cache.  The mother board is PCI.  As a note, Win95
> also gets random errors.  However, I use linux 99% of the time and
> would like to find a solution.  Like i said, I am getting new stuff in
> the mail on tuesday.  I am just afraid that the new stuff will have
> the same symptoms.

> Any suggestions?  Please CC to my email box also.  Since I am haing
> trouble with my machine, reading news is hard.

I recently purchased a PC Chips M520 M/B w/ an AMD K5-PR100 on it.  I also
had problems very similiar to what you describe.  The Linux/GCC SIG11 problems
could be cured by running the AMD at 90 (or 75) Mhz.  The Windows (3.11 in my
case) problems continued.  The only thing that cured _all_ the problems was
swapping the AMD K5 for an Intel P-90 out of another machine.  The memory,
cache, etc., ran fine on other machines, as well.  It was the AMD K5.  I
sent it back to the supplier to swap for an IBM 6x86 120+  We'll see if that
does any better.  If not, I'll trade up to a P-120 and consider it a lesson
learned.

--

Bill Powers

Linux:  Resistance is futile...

Post by Hyun-Min PA » Wed, 16 Oct 1996 04:00:00

>[Posted and mailed]

>> I just got a new motherboard, processor, and memory.  I am now having
>> sig 11 problems and random faults.  I have read the sig 11 howto and i
>> have requested a new motherboard set and memory from my supplier, buti
>> was wondering if anyone else has had this trouble and determined
>> exactly what the problem is.

>case) problems continued.  The only thing that cured _all_ the problems was
>swapping the AMD K5 for an Intel P-90 out of another machine.  The memory,

Had a same problem with my new AMD K5-90.  Random faults, Sig 11's.

Ran FINE when I set it to 75mhz.

Make SURE that you set the Voltage setting to 3.45 (NOT 3.3 as Pentiums).
According to my M-board manual, I was told to set the voltage to 3.3V,
where AMD's website tells me to set it at 3.45V (or above, up to 3.6)

When I swapped the chip to another chip (same AMD K5-90) it now runs
just fine.

Good luck.

1. HELP!!!! AMD K5 and OPTI motherboard setup

Has anyone got an AMD-K5-PR90ABQ 90Mhz processor working with an OPTI
viper 82C55xM chipset PCI motherboard? I am having trouble setting up
the BIOS and the linux bootup always crashes when trying to mount the
root filesys (hda2) the last boot message shown on screen is:
VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem) readonly

I am running kernel 2.0.0,   gcc2.7.0

I assume the K5 processor, or on board PCI EIDE hd controller is to
blame (this is only a wild guess)

or could it be the bios causing bus conflicts??

has anyone got BIOS config info for this setup of is there no chance of
getting the system running???

any help, info, advice greatfully received

thanks in advance

2. news server

3. More@!!.. Panasonic/SB-CD troubles, trouble, trouble...

4. UNIX domain socket shortcomings, bug in select?

5. Trouble, trouble, trouble - SCSI ?

6. fix include/linux/smp.h

7. Routing trouble with RH 5,maybe NE2000 trouble ??

8. Network Interfaces and packet selection

9. HLP: Redhat- X trouble , CDROM trouble

10. Troubles with ATAPI CDROM driver and weird network troubles <tulip card>

11. Nebie trouble ===> Trouble with ToolTalk

12. HAving trouble setting up X [Trident Troubles]

13. help i have trouble with x applicationhelp i have trouble with x application