wireless card D-link 520 on SuSe 8.1

Post by b.. » Sat, 23 Nov 2002 04:00:45

I am pulling my hair out over this.  I first tried the  520+ series but I
found out there was no opensource drivers yet and does not support the new
chipset.  So I have install D-Link DWL -520 wireless PCI Adapter.  I do see
the card uses the Prism chipset.  I think that is good? The computer
detected
the card wonderfully.  But....I am having trouble from there.

First I went modified /etc/sysconfig/eth0 and changed wireless='no' to
wireless='yes'  I then changed the wireless settings
    operating mode = ' manage'
    networkname (ESSID) = 'default' (this is what the router is set to by
    default for at the present.)

Next I did a rcnetwork reboot.  I get the following error:
    ifup-wireless: command 'iwconfig eth0 mode managed' returned
     ifupwireless: Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06): Set failed
     device eth0 operation not supported.

I get several of these types of errors and, of course, the card does not
talk
to the router.  I looked through the knowledge base and the archived mail
list and did not see anything that leads me to a solution.  I am sure I am
overlooking something.

I am really feeling stupid about this and hate to ask, but can anyone please
lend a guiding hand.  Thanks very much.

bob

wireless card D-link 520 on SuSe 8.1

Post by Peter Buelo » Sat, 23 Nov 2002 06:23:07

Go get the wireless lan package at www.linux-wlan.org. Those will get you up
and running quickly enough.

--
-Pete Buelow
replace nospam with putzin to email me back.