Merry Christmas and a SMP survey

Post by Edward Hoope » Mon, 28 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> I'm running linux on an asus p2b with a P2-333 and am considering getting a
> dual cpu motherboard to experiment with SMP. There hasn't been much
> discussion about people running more than one processor lately. Any comments
> about setups you're either happy or disappointed with? I primarily use my
> system as a personal workstation and am debating wether I'll see a big
> speed-up with the change.

> I hope everyone has a happy holiday,

> Adam

I have a Tyan Tomcat III with 2 P5-166's (old style, not MMX) and I had
no problems getting SMP to work.  I really haven't seen a speed
increase, but I haven't done any thing CPU intensive yet.  (Of course,
my system is bound by using an old Adaptec AHA-1542CF that won't go
above 8Mb/s transfer because of some old hardware...)

If you can, try to find either an old Socket 7 motherboard or someone
who can patch the Celeron-A processors for SMP, because going dual on a
Pentium II is going to be expensive.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Edward Hooper
--
Why Linus Torvalds moved to Silicon Valley:  It's the cheese!

Edward Hooper: SysAdmin for the Love Boat(tm).

Merry Christmas and a SMP survey

Post by TURBO101 » Fri, 01 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Tomcat IV here, no real increase in speed with dual 233MMX processors, but
have noticed that I can now recompile the kernel, and play a game of
astroids in KDE without any jerkyness.  Maybe the 2nd processors is working.

>> I'm running linux on an asus p2b with a P2-333 and am considering getting
>> dual cpu motherboard to experiment with SMP. There hasn't been much
>> discussion about people running more than one processor lately. Any
comments
>> about setups you're either happy or disappointed with? I primarily use my
>> system as a personal workstation and am debating wether I'll see a big
>> speed-up with the change.

>> I hope everyone has a happy holiday,

>> Adam

>I have a Tyan Tomcat III with 2 P5-166's (old style, not MMX) and I had
>no problems getting SMP to work.  I really haven't seen a speed
>increase, but I haven't done any thing CPU intensive yet.  (Of course,
>my system is bound by using an old Adaptec AHA-1542CF that won't go
>above 8Mb/s transfer because of some old hardware...)

>If you can, try to find either an old Socket 7 motherboard or someone
>who can patch the Celeron-A processors for SMP, because going dual on a
>Pentium II is going to be expensive.

>Just my $0.02 worth.

>Edward Hooper
>--
>Why Linus Torvalds moved to Silicon Valley:  It's the cheese!

>Edward Hooper: SysAdmin for the Love Boat(tm).

Merry Christmas and a SMP survey

Post by Andrew A. Neuschwande » Wed, 13 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I've been lucky enough to play with a handfull of SMP boxes where I
work.  I compiled kernel 2.2.0-pre5 and all modules in under 2 minutes
and 25 seconds.  Granted this is a Duel PII- 450 with 384 MB Ram and 2
9.1 Ultra SCSI-2 hard drives on a DPT RAID Controller.  SMP is really
fast, especially in the 2.2pre series.  But scsi is more important, the
slowest part of your computer is your drive, so go scsi before smp.

Andrew

--
--==/|/   _    ...enjoy the ride,
--=/|/   (_) _____  __  ______  ___

1. Linux PR: Merry Christmas, Microsoft

Linux PR: Merry Christmas, Microsoft

[ http://linuxtoday.com/ltbs/cgi-bin/click.cgi?adnum=169 ]

Affiliate site of

[ http://linuxtoday.com ]

Merry Christmas, Microsoft

Dec 26th, 14:21 UTC

Small Linux-oriented consultancy gives software giant Microsoft a Christmas gift

In keeping with the Christmas spirit, Michael Chaney, owner and president of Michael Chaney Consulting Corporation of Nashville, TN, today paid Microsoft's outstanding bill for the "passport.com" domain name to Network Solutions.  The $35 invoice was dated October 2, 1999, and was currently unpaid, according to information available at Network Solutions' website.  As of December 25, 1999, Microsoft's Hotmail service was unavailable, possibly because of passport.com being unavailable.  Hotmail uses Microsoft's passport.com service to authenticate users.

When asked if he expected reimbursement for the payment, Chaney responded, "It's a Christmas present from me to Microsoft.  If they don't wish to accept a gift, that's their choice, but I'm certainly not going to expect reimbursement."

Michael Chaney Consulting Corporation has been in business and growing for about 6 months in the Nashville, TN area, following a successful 5 year run as a sole-proprietorship in Indiana.  MCCC offers support services for Linux-based operating systems, and free web hosting for open source/free software projects.  For more information, contact:

Michael Chaney, President/Owner

Michael Chaney Consulting Corporation

mdchane

Full text at: http://linuxpr.com/releases/913.html

Posted with: http://www.angelfire.com/ca4/mccluretroy/web2news.html

http:  linuxpr com releases 913 html web2news.pl

2. Enabling sshd on a Solaris 10 minimal install

3. Merry Christmas to All of You

4. Zoom Dualmode USB under Linux

5. Thanks and Merry Christmas

6. Keyboard keyscan utility for console

7. This is just starting (and Merry Christmas)

8. FreeBSD and DVD

9. Merry Christmas

10. Merry Christmas!

11. Merry Christmas: Unix for the Holidaze... :)

12. Merry Christmas everybody.

13. Merry Christmas everyone! :-D