> > I tried the lba32 option by:
> >- booting with the rescue floppy
> >- deleting the line that said "linear" in /etc/lilo.conf
> >- executing /sbin/lilo -L
> >It still hangs with LI on the screen when I don't use the rescue floppy.
> It is suggested that you contact me directly thru the LILO project at
After MUCH consultation with John Coffman off group (he was VERY helpful
and patient), I have solved the problem.
Updating to the latest beta LILO didn't work; all I got was an "L" and
9.5 lines of "99 99 99 ...." on my screen followed by a hang.
The problem actually was BIOS settings (my motherboard uses an Award
The label on my hard disk, a WD 31600, says the disks specs are:
3148 cyl, 16 heads, 63 spt
The test software that comes with the LILO source code indicated that
BIOS was trying to access my hard disk as though it had 64 heads (a not
unusual re-mapping). I noticed, however, in the BIOS Standard CMOS Setup
page that the BIOS said it was using 16 heads. That page, however, had
nothing about disk accesses.
On the Integrated Peripherals page, there were many IDE options, but
had no effect.
Going to the IDE HDD Auto Detection page and running it brought up the
following information for the primary master:
Option Size C H Precomp Landz S Mode
2 1624 707 64 0 3147 63 LBA
1 1624 3140 16 65535 3147 63 NORMAL
3 1624 707 64 65535 3147 63 LARGE
NOTE: Some OSes (SCO-UNIX before V5.0) must use NORMAL
which is what I had seen when I originally set the system up. Since my
hard disk actually has 16 heads, and since the #1 option is labeled
NORMAL, and since I was installing Linux and the NOTE seemed to apply,
I naturally chose option #1. That was my mistake. Going back this time,
I chose option 2, the default, and things work. Don't ask me why.
Hope that helps someone.
send mail to mccluskey (at) mail (dot) utexas (dot) edu
\ / ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN "Friends don't send friends
X AGAINST HTML MAIL HTML email."
/ \ AND POSTINGS