HELP: Problems booting after RH7.2 install, both GRUB and LILO

HELP: Problems booting after RH7.2 install, both GRUB and LILO

Post by Craig McCluske » Tue, 20 Aug 2002 15:34:36

Using a DCS S7SXB motherboard and a K6-2/350 processor, I installed
RH7.2 on a WD31600 hard disk. The installation process was completely
normal with no hitches. When the system rebooted after the install,
however, it hung with the word "GRUB" at the bottom of the screen.

Reinstalling and selecting LILO as the bootloader also went completely
normally. Rebooting the system brings it to "LI" where it then hangs.

I did notice the boot parameters during the install were hdd "ide-scsi",
something I have not noticed with other motherboards.

Is this a hardware problem, a BIOS problem, or a software problem?

Craig

--

send mail to   mccluskey (at) mail (dot) utexas (dot) edu

 /"\
 \ /  ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN       "Friends don't send friends
  X   AGAINST HTML MAIL                   HTML email."
 / \  AND POSTINGS

Post by johninsd at san dot rr dot co » Wed, 21 Aug 2002 09:02:50

>Using a DCS S7SXB motherboard and a K6-2/350 processor, I installed
>RH7.2 on a WD31600 hard disk. The installation process was completely
>normal with no hitches. When the system rebooted after the install,
>however, it hung with the word "GRUB" at the bottom of the screen.

>Reinstalling and selecting LILO as the bootloader also went completely
>normally. Rebooting the system brings it to "LI" where it then hangs.

>I did notice the boot parameters during the install were hdd "ide-scsi",
>something I have not noticed with other motherboards.

>Is this a hardware problem, a BIOS problem, or a software problem?

>Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

You are probably beyond cylinder 1023 on the hard disk.  Thus, the boot sector
cannot access the second stage loader.

First, try "lba32" in the /etc/lilo.conf file.

If that fails (older m/b), then you will have to install a /boot partition
below the 1024 cylinder limit on your hard disk.

--John

HELP: Problems booting after RH7.2 install, both GRUB and LILO

Post by Craig McCluske » Wed, 21 Aug 2002 12:30:28

Quote:

> You are probably beyond cylinder 1023 on the hard disk.  Thus, the boot sector
> cannot access the second stage loader.

> First, try "lba32" in the /etc/lilo.conf file.

> If that fails (older m/b), then you will have to install a /boot partition
> below the 1024 cylinder limit on your hard disk.

During the fresh install I did a custom disk format with a 23 MB /boot
partition. I would have thought it would have been put in the correct
location.

I'll try the lba32 option.

Thanks,

Craig

--

Post by Craig McCluske » Wed, 21 Aug 2002 14:07:23

> > You are probably beyond cylinder 1023 on the hard disk.  Thus, the boot sector
> > cannot access the second stage loader.

> > First, try "lba32" in the /etc/lilo.conf file.

> > If that fails (older m/b), then you will have to install a /boot partition
> > below the 1024 cylinder limit on your hard disk.

> During the fresh install I did a custom disk format with a 23 MB /boot
> partition. I would have thought it would have been put in the correct
> location.

> I'll try the lba32 option.

I tried the lba32 option by:

- booting with the rescue floppy
- deleting the line that said "linear" in /etc/lilo.conf
- executing /sbin/lilo -L

It still hangs with LI on the screen when I don't use the rescue floppy.

Craig

--

Post by johninsd at san dot rr dot co » Thu, 22 Aug 2002 06:02:36

>> > You are probably beyond cylinder 1023 on the hard disk.  Thus, the boot sector
>> > cannot access the second stage loader.

>> > First, try "lba32" in the /etc/lilo.conf file.

>> > If that fails (older m/b), then you will have to install a /boot partition
>> > below the 1024 cylinder limit on your hard disk.

>> During the fresh install I did a custom disk format with a 23 MB /boot
>> partition. I would have thought it would have been put in the correct
>> location.

>> I'll try the lba32 option.

>I tried the lba32 option by:

>- booting with the rescue floppy
>- deleting the line that said "linear" in /etc/lilo.conf
>- executing /sbin/lilo -L

>It still hangs with LI on the screen when I don't use the rescue floppy.

Your M/B bios may not support "lba32" -- it is an older system.

More info is needed on this situation:

1.  Version of LILO you are using:  "lilo -V".  Was this version compiled from
my released source, or obtained from a distribution:  e.g., Debian, Mandrake,
RedHat, SUSE, etc.
2.  Copy of '/etc/lilo.conf' -- i.e., your configuration file.
3.  Partition information for each disk:  copy of '/etc/fstab', and output
from "fdisk -l <dev>" for each disk.  Which partitions use Reiser Filesystem?
4.  Copy of '/etc/raidtab', if your are using RAID1.
5.  Boot install log:  output from:  "lilo -v5  >log.txt 2>err.txt" --
(earlier versions require "-v 5"; very early versions require "-v -v -v -v
-v")

It is suggested that you contact me directly thru the LILO project at
http://freshmeat.net.

--John

Post by Craig McCluske » Tue, 27 Aug 2002 06:30:00

> > I tried the lba32 option by:

> >- booting with the rescue floppy
> >- deleting the line that said "linear" in /etc/lilo.conf
> >- executing /sbin/lilo -L

> >It still hangs with LI on the screen when I don't use the rescue floppy.

> It is suggested that you contact me directly thru the LILO project at
> http://freshmeat.net.

> --John

After MUCH consultation with John Coffman off group (he was VERY helpful
and patient), I have solved the problem.

Updating to the latest beta LILO didn't work; all I got was an "L" and
9.5 lines of "99 99 99 ...." on my screen followed by a hang.

The problem actually was BIOS settings (my motherboard uses an Award
BIOS).

The label on my hard disk, a WD 31600, says the disks specs are:

        3148 cyl, 16 heads, 63 spt

The test software that comes with the LILO source code indicated that
the
BIOS was trying to access my hard disk as though it had 64 heads (a not
unusual re-mapping). I noticed, however, in the BIOS Standard CMOS Setup
page that the BIOS said it was using 16 heads. That page, however, had
nothing about disk accesses.

On the Integrated Peripherals page, there were many IDE options, but
they
had no effect.

Going to the IDE HDD Auto Detection page and running it brought up the
following information for the primary master:

     Option Size   C    H  Precomp  Landz  S  Mode

     2      1624  707  64        0  3147  63  LBA

     1      1624 3140  16    65535  3147  63  NORMAL

     3      1624  707  64    65535  3147  63  LARGE

    NOTE: Some OSes (SCO-UNIX before V5.0) must use NORMAL
          for installation.

which is what I had seen when I originally set the system up. Since my
hard disk actually has 16 heads, and since the #1 option is labeled
NORMAL, and since I was installing Linux and the NOTE seemed to apply,
I naturally chose option #1. That was my mistake. Going back this time,
I chose option 2, the default, and things work. Don't ask me why.

Hope that helps someone.

Craig

--

send mail to   mccluskey (at) mail (dot) utexas (dot) edu

 /"\
 \ /  ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN       "Friends don't send friends
  X   AGAINST HTML MAIL                   HTML email."
 / \  AND POSTINGS

1. Can't boot RH7.X from dpt raid-1 with GRUB or LILO

After installing Redhat 7.2 I can't boot from the harddisk. GRUB returns
with
"Error 28: Selected item cannot fit into memory"

Lilo hangs after
"Uncompressing kernel..."

System was installed with drivers from:
http://people.redhat.com/tcallawa/dpt/
The problem occurs with both up/smp kernels. GRUB/Lilo is installed in
the MBR.
The problem persists after updating the system with the "Redhat 7.2 Update".
Booting from a floppy works fine.

Hardware:
Intel SCB2 motherboard, 1536Mb ram
2x pIII
Adaptec 2000S RAID controller,
Raid 1 configuration with 2x2 18Gb IBM disks.

Any help or hints are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

--
Sincerely

                                 -Toem

Tommy Davis,  Technical Director
Adapt A/S,  Havnegade 41, 2. sal,  1058 K?benhavn K
Tel +45 3341 1050,  Fax +45 3341 1069,  http://www.adapt.dk/

2. NATD redirect_port problems

3. grub dual boot problem winxp and rh7.3

4. unix box with dos partition??

5. where should I install GRUB/LILO to dual boot winxp and RH9?

6. How to sysinstall in b: rather than a:?

7. GRUB vs LILO with RH7.3 ?

8. More confusion/Another DIP :)

9. SCSI Install of RH7.0 - LILO hangs at boot

10. booting new kernels: lilo/grub problem

11. grub and lilo booting problems

12. RH7.3: After install, GRUB does not give login: prompt

13. Newbie novice installed Grub on Redhat 7.3 with separate /boot partition, dual boot Windows XP