ICH6R/ICH6RW SATA and 2.6.10?

Post by jef » Wed, 05 Jan 2005 12:29:04

I tried tacking this as an add on to a different message, but it might
have been missed.

I have a Dell PowerEdge SC420.  I'm having a problem with building a fresh
2.6.10 kernel from source. I _am_ able to build a 2.4.28 kernel, and it
works just fine. I can't seem to figure what I am missing here that 2.6.10
doesn't like.

All boot attempts end with a kernel panic:

        VFS: Cannot open root device "803" or unknown-block(8,3)
        Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(8,3)

lspci -vvv shows:

0000:00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corp. 82801FR/FRW (ICH6R/ICH6RW) SATA
Controller (rev 03) (prog-if 8f [Master SecP SecO PriP PriO])
        Subsystem: Intel Corp. 82801FR/FRW (ICH6R/ICH6RW) SATA Controller

So, following http://www.linuxmafia.com/faq/Hardware/sata.html
under 2.4.28, I've built into the kernel:
CONFIG_SCSI_SATA=y
CONFIG_SCSI_ATA_PIIX=y
And all is well. System boots as normal.

Under 2.6.10, I've tried (I also tried both of them together):
CONFIG_SCSI_SATA=y
CONFIG_SCSI_SATA_AHCI=y
and
CONFIG_SCSI_SATA=y
CONFIG_SCSI_ATA_PIIX=y

I also should mention that I'm using Reiserfs, but I have also built
support for this directly into the kernel. No modules. No combination of
the above configuration options under 2.6.10 will boot.

Lilo.conf entries relating to filesystem:
        boot=/dev/sda
        root=/dev/sda3
        map=/boot/map

        default=Linux

        # 2.4.28 working kernel
        image=/vmlinuz
        label=Linux
        read-only

        # 2.6.10 broken kernel
        image=/vmlinuz-2.6.10
        label=Linux-2.6.10
        read-only

/etc/fstab:

/dev/sda3       /               reiserfs defaults        0       1
/dev/sda2       /boot           reiserfs notail          0       2
/dev/sda4       /stuff          reiserfs defaults        0       2
/dev/sda1       none            swap    sw              0       0

So, has something changed under 2.6 that I am leaving out? The device
naming in /etc/fstab was put there by the Debian installer, and works fine
with their 2.6.8 kernel - so I'm guessing the boot message is either a red
herring, or there is something missing from the kernel that is needed, but
not explicitly mentioned as being required for SATA.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
jef

ICH6R/ICH6RW SATA and 2.6.10?

Post by Jerry McBrid » Thu, 06 Jan 2005 11:10:52

> I tried tacking this as an add on to a different message, but it might
> have been missed.

> I have a Dell PowerEdge SC420.  I'm having a problem with building a fresh
> 2.6.10 kernel from source. I _am_ able to build a 2.4.28 kernel, and it
> works just fine. I can't seem to figure what I am missing here that 2.6.10
> doesn't like.

> All boot attempts end with a kernel panic:

> VFS: Cannot open root device "803" or unknown-block(8,3)
> Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(8,3)

> lspci -vvv shows:

> 0000:00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corp. 82801FR/FRW (ICH6R/ICH6RW) SATA
> Controller (rev 03) (prog-if 8f [Master SecP SecO PriP PriO])
>         Subsystem: Intel Corp. 82801FR/FRW (ICH6R/ICH6RW) SATA Controller

> So, following http://www.linuxmafia.com/faq/Hardware/sata.html
> under 2.4.28, I've built into the kernel:
> CONFIG_SCSI_SATA=y
> CONFIG_SCSI_ATA_PIIX=y
> And all is well. System boots as normal.

> Under 2.6.10, I've tried (I also tried both of them together):
> CONFIG_SCSI_SATA=y
> CONFIG_SCSI_SATA_AHCI=y
> and
> CONFIG_SCSI_SATA=y
> CONFIG_SCSI_ATA_PIIX=y

> I also should mention that I'm using Reiserfs, but I have also built
> support for this directly into the kernel. No modules. No combination of
> the above configuration options under 2.6.10 will boot.

> Lilo.conf entries relating to filesystem:
> boot=/dev/sda
> root=/dev/sda3
> map=/boot/map

> default=Linux

> # 2.4.28 working kernel
> image=/vmlinuz
>         label=Linux
>         read-only

> # 2.6.10 broken kernel
> image=/vmlinuz-2.6.10
>         label=Linux-2.6.10
>         read-only

> /etc/fstab:

> /dev/sda3       /               reiserfs defaults        0       1
> /dev/sda2       /boot           reiserfs notail          0       2
> /dev/sda4       /stuff          reiserfs defaults        0       2
> /dev/sda1       none            swap    sw              0       0

> So, has something changed under 2.6 that I am leaving out? The device
> naming in /etc/fstab was put there by the Debian installer, and works fine
> with their 2.6.8 kernel - so I'm guessing the boot message is either a red
> herring, or there is something missing from the kernel that is needed, but
> not explicitly mentioned as being required for SATA.

> Any ideas?

Yeah... under /usr/src/linux/Documentation read changes.

You have to upgrade more than the kernel sources to go from 2.4.x kernels to
2.6.0 ones...

ICH6R/ICH6RW SATA and 2.6.10?

Post by Markus Kossman » Thu, 06 Jan 2005 16:22:19

> I tried tacking this as an add on to a different message, but it might
> have been missed.

> I have a Dell PowerEdge SC420.  I'm having a problem with building a
> fresh 2.6.10 kernel from source. I _am_ able to build a 2.4.28 kernel,
> and it works just fine. I can't seem to figure what I am missing here
> that 2.6.10 doesn't like.

> All boot attempts end with a kernel panic:

> VFS: Cannot open root device "803" or unknown-block(8,3)
> Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(8,3)

Is there "SCSI-disk support" ? Either build into the kernel
(CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SD=y) or build as module (CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SD=m). When
you are using the module, you will have to use an initrd to load the
sd_mod module. And don't forget that you will need upgraded module
utilities to get modules working with kernel 2.6.

ICH6R/ICH6RW SATA and 2.6.10?

Post by jef » Fri, 07 Jan 2005 12:18:54

> Is there "SCSI-disk support" ? Either build into the kernel
> (CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SD=y) or build as module (CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SD=m). When
> you are using the module, you will have to use an initrd to load the
> sd_mod module. And don't forget that you will need upgraded module
> utilities to get modules working with kernel 2.6.

I have CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SD=y built directly into the kernel. Also, I'm using
no other kernel modules. Thanks for the suggestions, tho.

ICH6R/ICH6RW SATA and 2.6.10?

Post by jef » Fri, 07 Jan 2005 12:43:19

>> Any ideas?
> Yeah... under /usr/src/linux/Documentation read changes.

> You have to upgrade more than the kernel sources to go from 2.4.x kernels to
> 2.6.0 ones...

I've read through it. Nothing in there that I can see that relates to my
problem. I guess I left out of my original post, that a Debian stock
2.6.8 kernel works, but they are using an initrd, something I wish to
not use.

I'm not actually moving forward to a 2.6.10 kernel, I've had to
move back to a 2.4.28 to get the system to boot from fresh kernel sources.

Everything in changes that I have is current or newer, as the install was
a Debian testing snapshot from December.

I'll keep poking around the Docs dir, tho, to see if anything else sticks
out. Thanks for the reply.

ICH6R/ICH6RW SATA and 2.6.10?

Post by Imitheo » Mon, 10 Jan 2005 09:05:45

>>Is there "SCSI-disk support" ? Either build into the kernel
>>(CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SD=y) or build as module (CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SD=m). When
>>you are using the module, you will have to use an initrd to load the
>>sd_mod module. And don't forget that you will need upgraded module
>>utilities to get modules working with kernel 2.6.

> I have CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SD=y built directly into the kernel. Also, I'm using
> no other kernel modules. Thanks for the suggestions, tho.

Hi.
I have the exact same controller.

my kernel .config has the following options enabled

#general
CONFIG_SCSI=y
CONFIG_SCSI_PROC_FS=y
#scsi disks
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SD=y
#scsi cds
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SR=y
#scsi generic
CONFIG_CHR_DEV_SG=y
#sata general
CONFIG_SCSI_SATA=y
#sata ahci
CONFIG_SCSI_SATA_AHCI=y
#sata piix
CONFIG_SCSI_ATA_PIIX=y

These are also my IDE options although i think they are irrelevant

CONFIG_IDE=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK=y
CONFIG_IDEDISK_MULTI_MODE=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECD=y
CONFIG_IDE_GENERIC=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEPCI=y
CONFIG_IDEPCI_SHARE_IRQ=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_GENERIC=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA_PCI=y
CONFIG_IDEDMA_PCI_AUTO=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_PIIX=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA=y
CONFIG_IDEDMA_AUTO=y

If i remember correctly the ahci driver was submitted to 2.6.9-rcX
kernels, so since you say you have a working 2.6.8 kernel
i guess you have chose "Standard IDE mode" or something like that
in your bios. You can also have "AHCI" or "SATA RAID" normally.

Under "Standard IDE" both the ahci driver and the ata_piix driver
should work out of the box with the options above.
If you have both compiled in the kernel, ahci is used.

If you enable these options i guess you will not have any problems.
I had the same problem with you when i used kernels <2.6.9 but i had
chosen AHCI in my bios and the PIIX driver doesn't work with AHCI mode.

Check your .config for these options.
I believe that you only need the following
(
CONFIG_SCSI=y
CONFIG_SCSI_PROC_FS=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SD=y
CONFIG_SCSI_SATA=y
CONFIG_SCSI_SATA_AHCI=y
CONFIG_SCSI_ATA_PIIX=y
)

ICH6R/ICH6RW SATA and 2.6.10?

Post by jef » Mon, 10 Jan 2005 13:53:48

> Hi.
> I have the exact same controller.

> my kernel .config has the following options enabled

<snip>

        Thanks for the options - I'm going to take a look at things on this end
and see if anything looks different.

Quote:> i guess you have chose "Standard IDE mode" or something like that
> in your bios. You can also have "AHCI" or "SATA RAID" normally.

        Sadly, Dell doesn't give me these options. At least not at the BIOS level
the system is currently at.

Quote:> If you have both compiled in the kernel, ahci is used.

        Good to know -- I was wondering what would happen if I did this when I
eventally get things working.

        Thanks for the info - off to see if this helps.

ICH6R/ICH6RW SATA and 2.6.10?

Post by jef » Tue, 11 Jan 2005 00:33:22

Bad form to reply to on'es own message, I know, but just wanted to post
that I solved this.

The problem was that  CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDESCSI was enabled - the kernel docs
say that you don't have to do that any more, however, they don't really
say that you can't, and that it might break stuff, including SATA. :-/

Thanks for the help, guys.