Keyboard with Control key next to the "A" key?

Keyboard with Control key next to the "A" key?

Post by George Entenm » Tue, 01 Dec 1998 04:00:00

I'm thinking about getting a PC to run linux, and one major concern for me
is the keyboard.  As an old Unix user, I simply can't imagine using the
command line, vi, etc. without having the control key placed next to the
"a" key, as it is on Sun keyboards.  But, try as I might, I cannot find
such a keyboard for PCs.  Does anyone know of one?

Thank you for your help.

George Entenman
Chapel Hill, NC

Keyboard with Control key next to the "A" key?

Post by Thilo Mahni » Tue, 01 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

it is really simple to change the keymap so that capslock
(which is useless anyway, IMHO) behaves as ctrl.

with xkeycaps there is even a tools that lets you do
this graphically.

greetings,

thilo

Keyboard with Control key next to the "A" key?

Post by Mike Werne » Tue, 01 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Take a look at www.pfuca.com  They make something called the Happy
Hacking keyboard - reviewed in the December issue of the Linux Journal.
The reviewer seemed to love it once he got used to it.  One major
drawback that I can see is the price - $139 US according to the
manufacturers web page.

As an alternative, why not remap the CapLock (or whatever your keyboard
has next to the a) to Control?  Can't remember the exact steps, but it
can be done.  In fact, there was a somewhat lengthy discussion about
doing just that in an older issue of the Linux Gazzette. I've got it
here somewhere ... just can't remember which issue.  I'll see if I can't
dig that up.  If / when I do, I'll post it here.
--
Mike Werner  KA8YSD           |  "Where do you want to go today?"
ICQ# 12934898                 |  "As far from Redmond as possible!"

Keyboard with Control key next to the "A" key?

Post by Kenneth Crud » Wed, 02 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>I'm thinking about getting a PC to run linux, and one major concern for me
>is the keyboard.  As an old Unix user, I simply can't imagine using the
>command line, vi, etc. without having the control key placed next to the
>"a" key, as it is on Sun keyboards.  But, try as I might, I cannot find
>such a keyboard for PCs.  Does anyone know of one?

Do what I did- remap "CapsLock" to be another "Ctrl" key.

man 5 keytables
man xmodmap

        -Kenny

--
Kenneth R. Crudup, Unix Software Consultant, Scott County Consulting

I'm getting paroled out of Boston, so I've got no real address or phone yet.