scsi hard drives

Post by Lisa » Mon, 16 Aug 1999 04:00:00

what is the difference between wide and ultra wide hard drives?  can you use an ultra wide controller card if you have a regular wide hard drive?

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

scsi hard drives

Post by paul » Tue, 17 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> what is the difference between wide and ultra wide hard drives?  can
> you use  an ultra wide controller  card  if you have a  regular wide
> hard drive?

Ultra Wide speaks at 40MB/s, Fast Wide at 20MB/s and Wide at 10MB/s,
with 20, 10 and 5 megatransfers/second respectively.

Controllers will negotiate down to the lowest common denominator among
your connected drives so it shouldn't be a problem.

paul

scsi hard drives

Post by Cowo » Wed, 18 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>what is the difference between wide and ultra wide hard drives?  can you use an ultra wide controller card if you have a regular wide hard drive?

>                    http://www.searchlinux.com

You are meaning fast-wide and ultra-wide, I bet. Roughly speaking fast means
SCSI-2 and Ultra SCSI-3: besides fast use a bus freq of 10 MHZ while ultra uses
20 MHZ, thus doubling bandwidth.
Regular wide hard drive? It's likely to be compatible with Ultra command set,
please take a look at product's datasheet. However, if it's a fast-wide hard
drive it's fully compatible with an ultra wide controller (SCSI standards are
mostly backward compatible)
Giuseppe

1. Replaced scsi hard drive can no longer find scsi tape drive

My Linux system had a hard disk crash just recently and I had to
replace the hard drive.  I did so and installed a "brand-new" copy of
RH 7.2 on it.  Previously it was running RH 6.2, but since I needed to
catch up a bit, it seemed like now was as good a time as any.....
The system is now up and running.

Now, I would like to restore my backup tapes on to it.  The system has
a HP SCSI DDS-3 tape drive on it, which I have used with tar to keep
backups.

The problem is Linux is no longer "seeing" my tape drive.

So, I look for the device file, and it looks "ok"

And I look to see if the device is known:
Ooops, no tape drive, just a disk.

Am I missing support in the kernel:
Well, the kernel seems to know about scsi tapes.

I also checked the physical connections to the drive and they seem "ok".

I'm not certain what to check next.

Suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
-Chris

Compiler Resources, Inc.       Web Site   :  http://world.std.com/~compres
3 Proctor Street               voice      :  (508) 435-5016
Hopkinton, MA  01748  USA      fax        :  (508) 435-4847  (24 hours)

2. SOLUTION Re: ssh login died suddenly, can't reconnect

3. Installing Linux 2.1 with a scsi controller and scsi hard drives

4. Solaris 2.7 Patches

5. Installing linux using SCSI CD-ROM on PCMCIA card, onto SCSI hard drive

6. 4mm DAT drive configuration??

7. Problems using cdrecord to scsi cdwriter from scsi hard drive

8. Gnome 2.0.x rpm update for RedHat 7.3?

9. SCSI CDROM corrupted my SCSI hard drive

10. WRONG HEADING - should be " Installing SUSE 6.4 on SCSI hard drives from SCSI CD"

11. Large SCSI hard drive and partitions (4GB drive)

12. Need 540MB SCSI Hard DRive

13. Problems formatting SCSI hard drive