Tapping Internet from a computer to another

Tapping Internet from a computer to another

Post by Pras » Thu, 15 Jun 2006 02:29:37

HI,

I have a old PC running Ubuntu and a new one with winXp Pro. The new
one with WinXP is connected to a wireless network using a Linksys
wrieless card. I have my old PC next to this one and both share a
common monitor and keyboard and both are powered 24hrs.

How do I tap internet from the windows machine to the Linux machine?
The simplest way to tap internet from the internet connection available
is to put a wireless card in my old pc. But I would like to know how to
tap internet from the Windows system to the old machine running linux
without a wireless card either through cross over ethernet cables or
???  I would like to play around and would like to know whether it is
practically achievable or not. If yes some tips or methods would help
me a lot.

Thanks,
Prash

Post by ray » Thu, 15 Jun 2006 03:59:05

> HI,

> I have a old PC running Ubuntu and a new one with winXp Pro. The new
> one with WinXP is connected to a wireless network using a Linksys
> wrieless card. I have my old PC next to this one and both share a
> common monitor and keyboard and both are powered 24hrs.

> How do I tap internet from the windows machine to the Linux machine?
> The simplest way to tap internet from the internet connection available
> is to put a wireless card in my old pc. But I would like to know how to
> tap internet from the Windows system to the old machine running linux
> without a wireless card either through cross over ethernet cables or
> ???  I would like to play around and would like to know whether it is
> practically achievable or not. If yes some tips or methods would help
> me a lot.

> Thanks,
> Prash

I'd try a crossover cable. Set up internet connection sharing on MS and
tell Linux to use that box (by IP address) as gateway. This is basically
what I used to do when I had an internal DSL modem in a Win98 box.

Post by RRB » Fri, 16 Jun 2006 01:34:20

> HI,

> I have a old PC running Ubuntu and a new one with winXp Pro.

Mmmmmmmm...... linux ubuntu deserves the NEW one! :-)

--
Faciait li signeur!

Roy Batty
http://www.allservice.it/

1. Tap, tap, tap, is this thing on ?

Thought it only fitting that my first post from this box be to COLA, Many of
you suffered with me through the ordeal of setting it up.

Some first impressions from a long time Win2K user:

Not sure about KNode for news yet, so far it doesn't feel as convenient as
Agent.it's too early to make final judgements though.

Ethereal is doing, its thing, and KMail seems to sub nicely for my normal
Eudora/Outlook combination.

I'm still undecided on how I feel about Konqueror as a file manager, my raw
first impressions are quite mixed, it's definitely different from Windows
Explorer. and "different" can go either way.

All in all though I'm quite pleased, and am looking forward to having a
torrid affair with SuSE.

2. FTP Win98 <==> Linux

3. Connecting to Internet through another computer...

4. Help: Afterstep in Debian 2.0

5. Mailorder Computer Dealers on the Internet, periodic posting

6. relocation error:

7. centralized printing

8. Two computer use one modem to connect internet...

9. Mailorder Computer Dealers on the Internet, periodic posting

10. setting up an internet computer

11. How do I connect Internet to my computer using a modem?????????