redhat 6.2 install failure

Post by David Yos » Sun, 24 Jun 2001 17:28:39

I got an "Acorp" super socket 7 with onboard ultra dma 66.
I got rh 6.2...tried to install...locked up at the line:

ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7 ,0x3f6 on irq 14

...been reading all night(sleepy) redhat.com says 6.2 does not support udma
66.
can someone confirm for newbie...is this the case?
Or, could it be something else? Is there a work around?

Dave

1. install problems, redhat 6.2 vs redhat 7.2 on PC-104+ single board computer

Hi all,

This is my first venture into trying to create a (pseudo) embedded
system, so please pardon the naivete.

I am trying to install redhat 7.2 on a Tiny886ULP-X from Advanced Micro
Peripherals (UK).  This is a PC-104+ single board computer with a 666mhz
transmeta, 256mb ram, video, ethernet, a 132mb compactflash on the IDE
as the primary master (looks like a disk), and an ATAPI compatible CDROM.

So, I boot off the CD, and .....

The symptom is that the CD boots fine, but cannot proceed past keyboard
selection. I select English as the language, US as the keyboard, and
then it goes to look for the install files on the CD, and asks me where
to find the installation files, giving me the hard drive as the only
option to install from.

Redhat 6.2 boots and installs fine, with the exception that I can't get
it to install with under 132mb of flashdisk space.  However, it does
find the files on the CD,(it does not prompt for me to show it where the
files are on the hard drive) and allows me to reformat/repartition the
flash-disk and select install packages before it tells me there's not
enough diskspace. So, if I did have enough space on the flash (which I
will soon) I could install 6.2 just fine.

I have been suspecting that the 7.2 boot kernel is trying to do
something fancy with DMA/UDMA on the CDROM, so I have tried booting by
passing the flag "linux ide=nodma" to the boot kernel. This yielded
exactly the same results.

I'd like to get 7.2 up because of the 1394 support in their standard kernel.

Thanks,

Dan

2. beginner's question

3. RedHat 6.2 and Kernel 6.2 on an SMP machine

4. Red Hat 7.1 Miscellaneous Emacs Set Up Questions

5. RedHat 6.2 and 6.2 doesnt get acces to..

6. RedHat 5.0, ghostview and segmentation fault

7. partitioning 4 redhat 6.2 complete install

8. sendmail/addressing question

9. newbie: trouble installing redhat 6.2

10. Is Samba installed with Redhat 6.2

11. redhat 6.2 install problem with 10.2 GB hdd

12. Install redhat 6.2 whit 2.3.3 kernel

13. GTK & LIBSIGC install on redhat 6.2