a technical question

Post by Shahriar Mohktar » Wed, 16 Aug 2000 15:01:54

Hi there,

Suppose you have video card V1 and video card V2. They have the same
characteristic but V1 has 4meg memory and V2 has 8meg memory. Does it make
any difference in the performance of a Linux box if we use any of them for a
low resolution of a monitor? Say 800 * 600.

Shahriar Mokhtari

a technical question

Post by Stanislaw Flatt » Wed, 16 Aug 2000 04:00:00

> Hi there,

> Suppose you have video card V1 and video card V2. They have the same
> characteristic but V1 has 4meg memory and V2 has 8meg memory. Does it make
> any difference in the performance of a Linux box if we use any of them for a
> low resolution of a monitor? Say 800 * 600.

> Shahriar Mokhtari

Hi there!
The performance of graphical segment of hardware is limited by the
weakest link.
If what is the limit in your case is the monitor, which cannot accept
information faster than 800x600 pixels refreshed X times a second, then
you will get the same performance from both cards as both of them are
capable of more than that.
And it is not dependent on the OS, just that in Linux you can destroy
the monitor by instructing the card to put it in gallop.
But this is for gamers and we are serious computer users;-)))
--
    Stanislaw on Slak 7.1
Slacker No.162760 on Linux counter.

a technical question

Post by J Bla » Wed, 16 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>> Suppose you have video card V1 and video card V2. They have the same
>> characteristic but V1 has 4meg memory and V2 has 8meg memory. Does it make
>> any difference in the performance of a Linux box if we use any of them for a
>> low resolution of a monitor? Say 800 * 600.

Generally it wouldn't make any difference, *but* the more video memory you
have free the more space there is for caching pixmaps and stuff, which
improves the performance of 2D work.

It has more impact on 3D performance, where generally you need enough ram
for the actual display, 2x as much again for double buffering and some more
to cache textures.

But for general desktop work, if the only difference is amount VRAM you're
unlikely to notice any difference.

Frinky

--
John Bland MPhys(Hons) GradInstP  Webmaster and Sys Admin.
http://ringtail.cmp.liv.ac.uk/      Condensed Matter Group

a technical question

Post by Lew Pitche » Wed, 16 Aug 2000 04:00:00

> Hi there,

> Suppose you have video card V1 and video card V2. They have the same
> characteristic but V1 has 4meg memory and V2 has 8meg memory. Does it make
> any difference in the performance of a Linux box if we use any of them for a
> low resolution of a monitor? Say 800 * 600.

In theory, no. 32bit colour on an 800x600 screen will only take 2Mb of
video memory. IIRC, you can't get better than 32bit colour, so 2Mb is
the _most_ memory you would use on the card.

The only caveat I can think of is p'haps you use animation sw that
would use the extra space for animation buffers (i.e. page toggling,
etc.). If so, then I don't know what the limit is.

--
Lew Pitcher

Master Codewright and JOAT-in-training

a technical question

Post by Christopher Brow » Fri, 18 Aug 2000 09:53:43

Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw a time when Lew Pitcher would say:

>> Suppose you have video card V1 and video card V2. They have the
>> same characteristic but V1 has 4meg memory and V2 has 8meg
>> memory. Does it make any difference in the performance of a Linux
>> box if we use any of them for a low resolution of a monitor? Say
>> 800 * 600.

>In theory, no. 32bit colour on an 800x600 screen will only take 2Mb of
>video memory. IIRC, you can't get better than 32bit colour, so 2Mb is
>the _most_ memory you would use on the card.

>The only caveat I can think of is p'haps you use animation sw that
>would use the extra space for animation buffers (i.e. page toggling,
>etc.). If so, then I don't know what the limit is.

Also, I've used video cards where "left over" RAM could be used to
buffer font data, which should speed up rendering a fair bit.  More
RAM is usually somewhat better than less RAM.

[Mind you, when I upgraded from an ATI 8MB board to a Voodoo with 16MB
of RAM, system performance suffered until I added 128MB of extra
system RAM; servicing that Voodoo board seemed to chew up around 32MB
of system memory...]

--

<http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/lsf.html>
Rules of the Evil Overlord #227. "I will never bait a trap with

1. 1 Technical Question & 1 Educational Question.

Greetings,

Tech Question

In my Sparc Solaris 8 i have configured the /etc/coreadm.conf file. So
all my programmers are getting different core file name .(core.<prg
name>.PID).Thats fine for me ,but i face a small issue . Even though
the umask is set to 022. The core file generate in the 600 mode. In
the man page they clearly say it will create by 600 only. Is the
anyway to create the core file in 644 so another user can debugger the
core file.

Edu Question

I finished my Solaris 2.6 Certification ,now am planning to write the
Solaris 8 upgrade exam .Please provide some links or info or dumps.
If any one finished the exam pl. provide how the exam was?

thanks & regards

2. xterm or color_xterm problems....any ideas?

3. USENIX Winter 1993 Technical Conference - Technical Sessions

4. Network backup for freebsd/netbsd

5. USENIX Summer 1993 Technical Conference: TECHNICAL SESSIONS

6. opera with solaris

7. USENIX Winter 1994 Technical Conference - Technical Sessions

8. getsockopt() for RCVBUF

9. USENIX Summer 1993 Technical Conference - Technical Sessions

10. USENIX SUMMER 1993 TECHNICAL CONFERENCE: TECHNICAL SESSIONS

11. USENIX Winter 1993 Technical Conference - Technical Sessions

12. WinNT vs Linux technical question