Neep help getting modem to work.

Post by Greg Mill » Sun, 11 Jun 1995 04:00:00

        I have been trying to get my modem to work under Linux for a very long
time now.  I've tried several different configurations, and none of them seem
to work.  I have my modem set up on COM3 (under DOS), and try testing the
modem by typing:
echo atdt5551212 > /dev/modem

        Is what I'm doing an effective method of testing the modem?  If not,
what is an effective way?  If this is an effective way, what could possibly be
keeping the modem from dialing (it doesn't click, come offline, or anything)?

        Any input is greatly appreciated.  Responses can be sent via e-mail or
to this group.

Post by de.. » Fri, 23 Jun 1995 04:00:00

>    I have been trying to get my modem to work under Linux for a very long
> time now.  I've tried several different configurations, and none of them seem
> to work.  I have my modem set up on COM3 (under DOS), and try testing the
> modem by typing:
> echo atdt5551212 > /dev/modem

>    Is what I'm doing an effective method of testing the modem?  If not,
> what is an effective way?  If this is an effective way, what could possibly be
> keeping the modem from dialing (it doesn't click, come offline, or anything)?

>    Any input is greatly appreciated.  Responses can be sent via e-mail or
> to this group.

Hi, on my system /dev/modem is only a link to the actual cua or tty used
I cant remember, i guess it's /dev/modem --> /dev/cua1. I had to set it
as cua1 because it corresponds  to com2: I guess in your example it
should be pointing to /dev/cua3. Then you can try it with minicom also.

Best regards Boris Debic.

1. Neep help with video card/modem

Hi

I'm new to linux and have recently installed RedHat 5.0.  I have not been able to set up my monitor
and graphics card, nor have I been able to make linux recognize my modem.

My monitor is a ViewSonic G790 and the graphics card is a Diamond Viper V330 (Nvidia Riva 128) at
IRQ 11 .  I've tried both SuperProbe (which returns a diagnostic of generic VGA) and xf86config.  No
go.  When I try to open an Xwindow client I get the message "can't open display"

My modem is a Motorola sm56 pci installed on port 4 in windows at IRQ10.  Although devices cua0-3
and ttyS0-4 show up under /dev, I cant get the modem to respond to an ATDT command (or anything
else).  I've read the Serial-HOWTO and tried minicom.  What am I missing?

David.

2. Sony CD Rom CDU55E (ATAPI) Hangs

3. Need help getting modem to work with Linux on IBM Thinkpad i 1411

4. Success - well, almost

5. need help getting modem to work

6. compuserve ISP dialup script

7. Need help getting modem to work

8. LOCAL NYC UNIGROUP Field Trip Meeting: 15-JUL-2004: Solaris 10 Launch Event

9. A bit of help getting the modem working?

10. Need Help getting Wincomm II modem to work with linux

11. Help getting PCMCIA modem working please

12. Need help getting modem to work

13. Help getting ELSA modem to work