Matrox v Diamond Stealth

Post by steve.. » Mon, 20 Nov 1995 04:00:00

I am upgrading my PC from an S3 (no worries with drivers system)
to either a:

Matrox Millenium

or

Dialmond Stealth

Is the Matrox Supported under Linux ?

Does the Diamond work well in 32bit mode.
(I have an Idek 8617e, so I am looking forward to 1280 x 1024 true color)
:-)

Thanks for any pointers.

Matrox v Diamond Stealth

Post by Julian Thompso » Wed, 22 Nov 1995 04:00:00

: I am upgrading my PC from an S3 (no worries with drivers system)
: to either a:

: Matrox Millenium

: or

: Dialmond Stealth

: Is the Matrox Supported under Linux ?

The Matrox isn't supported under XFree86-3.1.2 - I guess this
situation won't change until Matrox is prepared to release the
programming information without developers having to sign an NDA...

I have the Matrox Millenium, but use a commercial X server
(Accelerated-X). I run at 1024 x 768 x 32bit with no problems.

: Does the Diamond work well in 32bit mode.
: (I have an Idek 8617e, so I am looking forward to 1280 x 1024 true color)
: :-)

Sorry, can't help you with the Diamond, but I'm actually buying the
same monitor (or the 9017e) at the end of the week! My 15" is just
not doing the Matrox justice :-)

Julian.

--

1. Diamond Stealth 3d 2000 Pro, and the Diamond Stealth 3d 3000, in Xfree86

If your having problems with the Diamond Stealth 3d 2000 Pro, and the
Diamond Stealth 3d 3000, in Xfree86, please read.

It's the "pro" part of you Stealth 3d 2000 that is giving you the
problem. It's designed for video in addition to regular display. This is
also a problem with many of the Stealth 3d 3000 cards(but not all). The
fix is to cut it back to 16bpp. You see, at 24bpp and 32bpp, the Stealth
3000 needs a special driver that handles the mpeg/avi video acceleration
features of these cards. But not at 16bpp.

Sometimes you can get away with running the Diamond Stealth 3d 2000 pro,
and the Diamond Stealth 3d 3000 at 24bpp and 32bpp. But chances are
you'll get the following problems:

XF_s3V server: lockups when user exits window manager, screen turns neon
lime green or red(other colors also reported, but these two are the most
common). However, this server works fine at 16bpp.

XF_SVGA server: works great, but acceleration at 24bpp or 32 bpp is not
complete!!!!! Boot up Netscape and you will see what I mean. The buttons
on Navigator will be in black&white.

These problems do not effect the Stealth 3d 2000 "classic", just the
Stealth 3d 2000 Pro and the Stealth 3d 3000 series cards.

Carter

2. AHH...The use of ram

3. Diamond Stealth II G460 & Matrox Millinnium G200 or Mystique G200 drivers

4. Kernel compilation error: GCC Internal errors 6 and 11

5. Matrox Millenium or Diamond Stealth 3D

6. modifying errlog - want to remove core dump logs

7. Matrox Mistique or Diamond Stealth 3000--Experiences?

8. anyone success with staroffice 4 on alpha via em86?

9. Does it support Matrox Mystique 220 or Diamond Stealth 3 D 3000

10. Matrox Millenium vs. Diamond Stealth 3D

11. Diamond Stealth 3D or Matrox Millineum?

12. Diamond Stealth 64 S3/ Now considered Diamond 3000

13. Xconfig Help with Diamond Stealth 24 and a Mitsubishi Diamond Scan 17FS