CD-RW or DVD(+-)RW?

Post by Henrik Carlqvis » Mon, 05 Apr 2004 19:04:27

> My CD-RW drive (HP 9201) died yesterday.  <SFX: aww>  So, I guess I need
> to get a new one.  I will almost certainly get a SCSI one
>  Can you recommend one to get
>  How about DVD writers?  Is the technology settled down
> yet?  How about the "-R" vs "+R" thing?  I will probably buy mail-order;

The technology about -R vs +R has settled down so to say that most
writers today is able to handle both formats. Unfortunately I haven't
been able to find any SCSI DVD writer, if SCSI is your main concern you
will have to buy a new CD-RW.

regards Henrik
hc2(at)uthyres.com Examples of addresses which go to spammers:

CD-RW or DVD(+-)RW?

Post by Lenar » Mon, 05 Apr 2004 22:51:25

> since one has to emulate SCSI
> for writing ANYHOW, it makes since to me to skip the emulation step.
> (The dead drive was SCSI.)

Not any longer, with the 2.6 series kernels SCSI emulation is no longer
required. And with some 2.4.20+ compiled kernel packages this is also
true. You do need the current versions of the 'cdr' tools for this
however.

--
Posted under the XFree86 v.1.0 license
Copyright remains with the author

CD-RW or DVD(+-)RW?

Post by ray » Mon, 05 Apr 2004 23:58:42

> My CD-RW drive (HP 9201) died yesterday.  <SFX: aww>  So, I guess I need to
> get a new one.  I will almost certainly get a SCSI one, as I have six open
> SCSI IDs and two open IDE IDs; also, since one has to emulate SCSI for
> writing ANYHOW, it makes since to me to skip the emulation step.  (The dead
> drive was SCSI.)  Can you recommend one to get (I use Linux on this machine
> exclusively, except W2K in VMware), or disrecommend one _not_ to get?  How
> about DVD writers?  Is the technology settled down yet?  How about the "-R"
> vs "+R" thing?  I will probably buy mail-order; I hate dealing with rebates.

I would suggest a +-R/RW unit; then you'll have all the bases covered.

CD-RW or DVD(+-)RW?

Post by pete » Mon, 05 Apr 2004 14:49:32

> My CD-RW drive (HP 9201) died yesterday.  <SFX: aww>  So, I guess I need to
> get a new one.  I will almost certainly get a SCSI one, as I have six open
> SCSI IDs and two open IDE IDs; also, since one has to emulate SCSI for
> writing ANYHOW, it makes since to me to skip the emulation step.  (The dead
> drive was SCSI.)  Can you recommend one to get (I use Linux on this machine
> exclusively, except W2K in VMware), or disrecommend one _not_ to get?  How
> about DVD writers?  Is the technology settled down yet?  How about the "-R"
> vs "+R" thing?  I will probably buy mail-order; I hate dealing with rebates.

i have a pionner 107 (oem) dvd-r/+r (8x) ide drive installed and working
in linux, no problems so far. i even flashed it to the latest bios  under
linux (180$cad)

--
//peter1478963
//at

1. DVD SCSI burner, I want DVD+RW, DVD-RW, DVD-RAM

I've googled until I'm blue (would that be bluegled?) and I can't
find a DVD burner that has all of what I want.  These seem to be
what people like for Linux:

Ricoh MP5125A DVD+RW/+R, DVD-R, CD-R/-RW (OBSOLETE)
http://www.computervideogear.com/dvd-burners/ricoh-mp5125a.htm

NEC ND1100A DVD+RW/+R, DVD-R, CD-R/-RW (replaces above Ricoh)
http://www.computervideogear.com/dvd-burners/nec-nd-1100a.htm

HP DVD300i (DVD+RW/+R, CD-R/-RW)
http://www.shopping.hp.com/cgi-bin/hpdirect/shopping/scripts/product_...
(watch the line wrap)

Pioneer DVR-A05 CD-R/RW, CD-RW, DVD-R/RW, DVD-ROM
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?...

All of the above units are EIDE.  Is there a SCSI DVD burner that
works with Linux?  My reason for wanting this is the wonderful
burning throughput I get with my SCSI CD burner.  I *NEVER* have
buffer underruns no matter how much else my system is doing.
I can even backup to my SCSI tape at the same time without
problems.  I'm nervous that an IDE burner will force me into
buffer underrun land.

Thanks....

2. C++ for RS6000?

3. Sony DVD-RW/CD-RW drive problems

4. RAID 5 on FBSD 3.4??????

5. DVD-RW/CD-ROM-RW

6. MICROSOFT TO PURCHASE GOD!!!!!

7. broken 2.2 IDE CD-RW (was Re: plain 2.2.X: no ide CD-RW?)

8. ready to nuke linux -- help me!

9. SCSI CD-RW: yamaha 4416s: HowTo REWrite CD-RW's?

10. CD-RW support specifically with NEC NR 7700A CD-RW drive

11. ide-scsi cd-rw woes (creative cd-rw blaster)

12. DVD/cd-rw fails to play DVD movies

13. Ricoh CD, CD-R, CD-RW and DVD drive