SCSI Emulation with ATAPI Zip drive?

Post by Brion Vibbe » Sat, 14 Feb 1998 04:00:00

I've got an ATAPI internal Zip drive, and have heard that it's possible
to use SCSI emulation to use the drive with jaZip, which would be a good
thing.

How would I go about actually setting this up? I tried disabling ATAPI
Floppy support and enabling SCSI Emulation and SCSI Disk support, but it
doesn't seem to be working. The Zip is still /dev/hdc and works as it
did with ATAPI Floppy support enabled. There isn't anything on on the
/dev/sd* devices, and if I run jazip on /dev/hdc it naturally complains
that it's not a raw SCSI device. Are there any other tricks I need to do
to get this to work?

I'm using Red Hat 5 with kernel 2.0.33 patched for FAT32, Joliet, and
the Promise Ultra33 controller (which the Zip is not connected to).

Here are the disk-related messages from /var/log/dmesg:

loop: registered device at major 7
ide: i82371 PIIX (Triton) on PCI bus 0 function 57
    ide0: BM-DMA at 0xff60-0xff67
    ide1: BM-DMA at 0xff68-0xff6f
ide: Promise Technology IDE Ultra-DMA 33 on PCI bus 0 function 88
ide2: probing at fff0, ffe6
ide3: probing at ffa8, fbe6
ide: Enabling legacy (non Ultra) DMA for Promise Technology IDE
Ultra-DMA 33 on
PCI bus 0 function 88, port 0xff80
ide: timings == 0
    ide2: BM-DMA at 0xff80-0xff87
    ide3: BM-DMA at 0xff88-0xff8f
hda: CONNER CTT8000-A, ATAPI TAPE drive
hdc: IOMEGA ZIP 100, 96MB w/16kB Cache, CHS=512/12/32
hdd: FX240S, ATAPI CDROM drive
hde: QUANTUM FIREBALL ST6.4A, 6149MB w/81kB Cache, CHS=13328/15/63
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
ide2 at 0xfff0-0xfff7,0xffe6 on irq 10
Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M
FDC 0 is a National Semiconductor PC87306
scsi0 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices
scsi : 1 host.
scsi : detected total.

As you can see it detects all my IDE/ATAPI devices, and it claims to
have the SCSI emulation enabled, but it doesn't say anything about any
drives for it.

Any ideas?

SCSI Emulation with ATAPI Zip drive?

Post by Brion Vibbe » Sat, 14 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> IOMEGA manafactures two versions of IDE ZIP drives -- one which is using
> the ATA protocol, and one which is using the ATAPI protocol. Your IOMEGA
> ZIP drive is not the ATAPI version, as it is being detected as:

>         hdc: IOMEGA ZIP 100, 96MB w/16kB Cache, CHS=512/12/32

> rather than

>         hdc: IOMEGA ZIP 100, ATAPI floppy drive

> Gadi

Doh! Well, at least now I know the SCSI emulation won't work no matter what I
do so I can stop wasting my time on that front... Does anyone know of another
program that will work on the IDE Zip or a way to modify jaZip to work with
the IDE zip directly?

1. ATAPI 250MB ZIP and IDE-SCSI Emulation HELP!

If any one has any information on how to configure an internal atapi
Iomega ZIP drive, PLEASE help. I have heard that I must compile the
kernel without IDE-FLOPPY and with IDE-SCSI. That I did and I am abel to
mount the zip on /dev/sda4. I can read and write to it and even umount
the dev.

I JUST CANT EJECT IT. It is driving me batty!

any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Brian

2. IBM AIXwindows for DOS on a 486?

3. PD-Drive (ATAPI) via SCSI-Emulation

4. Sound Setup in Linux 2.1.26

5. SCSI Zip drive w/ Zip zoom scsi adapter problems...

6. HELP! Xfree86 question!

7. ATAPI Zip in Linux (Was Re: ZIP drive parameters)

8. Using SLIP and Ethernet questions

9. Mount SCSI NCR 810 + ZIP DRIVE + SCSI DRIVE

10. Zip Zoom & SCSI Zip Drive

11. Iomega SCSI Zip drive and Zip Zoom card

12. ide-scsi emulation for ATAPI cd writing problem

13. Does the HP7200i ATAPI CD Writer need SCSI emulation