USR 56k Int Voice/Faxmodem and COL 2.2

Post by Russell E. Smit » Thu, 06 May 1999 04:00:00

I seem to be running into problems getting my modem to work under kppp.
Whenever I set it to the correct port (/dev/cua2 or /dev/modem).  But
whenever I attempt to query the modem, It says the modem is busy. I am
running COL 2.2 w/ KDE. A walkthrough would be greatly appreciated, but any
help would do.

Thanks in advance.

Russell E. Smith

http://www.wolsi.com/~homerj/

Post by Lyle Taylo » Thu, 06 May 1999 04:00:00

> I seem to be running into problems getting my modem to work under kppp.
> Whenever I set it to the correct port (/dev/cua2 or /dev/modem).  But
> whenever I attempt to query the modem, It says the modem is busy. I am
> running COL 2.2 w/ KDE. A walkthrough would be greatly appreciated, but any
> help would do.

You need to configure /dev/cua2 so that it uses the proper IRQ and
port.  By default, cua2 uses the same IRQ as cua0, but a different
port.  This doesn't work.  I don't know why they did it that way, but
they did.  Try running the following command as root:

/sbin/setserial /dev/cua2 auto_irq autoconfigure

That tries to determine the correct IRQ and port to use.  If it works,
then you're set, except that you'll need to do it everytime you boot.
Place the line in the file /etc/rc.d/rc.local so that it will be called
each time to boot.

If it doesn't work, and you know the IRQ, try

/sbin/setserial /dev/cua2 irq 5 autoconfigure

but replace 5 with the correct IRQ.  If that doesn't work, you will need
to specify both the IRQ and the port used by the modem like this:

/sbin/setserial /dev/cua2 irq 5 port 220

but replace the 5 and 220 with the appropriate values.  If you're using
Windows as well, you can get the correct values from the device manager.

If that doesn't work, I don't know what to tell you.

Good luck,

Lyle

Post by o.. » Fri, 07 May 1999 04:00:00

   >I seem to be running into problems getting my modem to work under
   >kppp. Whenever I set it to the correct port (/dev/cua2 or
   >/dev/modem).  But whenever I attempt to query the modem, It says
   >the modem is busy. I am running COL 2.2 w/ KDE. A walkthrough would
   >be greatly appreciated, but any help would do.
   >Thanks in advance.
   >Russell E. Smith

   >http://www.wolsi.com/~homerj/

Russell,

I had the same problem after bringing up COL 1.3 with a new 3Com USR
56K FAX/Modem.

Two things:

   (1.) the port you set up on should probably be /dev/ttyS2
        for COL 2.2 (the old COM4).

and

   (2.) 3Com USR Internal modems are increasingly a problem.
        I won't use another one.  They are being sold out of
        boxes poorly marked with respect to the product
        capability.  A 56K FAX/Modem INT with the same product
        number may have jumpers (Good!), be PnP (not as good),
        or be one of two varieties of erzatz WinModem.  The
        only way you can tell which you have is to open the
        box and look at the trailing two digits on the product
        number and call 3Com USR for the scoop.  If you happen
        to have purchased one of the modems with Windows drivers
        installed in its ROM it will *not* work with LINUX;
        they will tell you it is not a WinModem ('cause the
        software is not on the HD), but effectively it is; and
        they will not take it back (the shop that sold it to
        you has to do that and they have trouble understanding
        the problem).  The solution?  Buy a real internal modem
        with jumpers on it that you can know the configuration
        of with out doubt; worked for me :), bought a Zoom 56K
        dual mode FAX/Modem!

So, that's my two cents; hope it helps/illuminates.

--William

USR 56k Int Voice/Faxmodem and COL 2.2

Post by Jeanette Russ » Fri, 07 May 1999 04:00:00

Same thing happened to me what is 3Com trying to pull?  They have resorted
to putting the winmodems in the fax modem boxes and trying to pass them off
as the regular hardware faxmodems.  I sent mine back.
Jeanette

USR 56k Int Voice/Faxmodem and COL 2.2

Post by Russell E. Smit » Sat, 08 May 1999 04:00:00

Thanks for all your guys' help, but it still doesnt work. No matter where I
set the modem (/dev/modem, /dev/cua2, /dev/ttyS2), whenever I query the
modem or attempt to get it to dial, it says "Modem Not Responding" or "Modem
Busy". Any other suggestions?

Post by Bob Ewar » Sat, 08 May 1999 04:00:00

> Thanks for all your guys' help, but it still doesnt work. No matter where I
> set the modem (/dev/modem, /dev/cua2, /dev/ttyS2), whenever I query the
> modem or attempt to get it to dial, it says "Modem Not Responding" or "Modem
> Busy". Any other suggestions?

<snip>

Does the modem have "Sportster" written somewhere on the card?  If it
does and has jumpers, it comes out of the box configured for Plug and
Pray.  Mine did.  I downloaded usrv90v.pdf from somewhere on the 3com
site.  It told me how to set the jumpers for a specific port.  I think I
set it for com2 (/dev/cua1) so as to not conflict with the mouse. You
may need to do a "ln -s /dev/cua1 /dev/modem"

If all that doesn't work, try the modem on a windows machine to see if
you have a hardware problem.

--

Out of my mind                                 back in 5 minutes

1. external USR 56K Voice Faxmodem Pro?

Hi there,

does anyone know wether the US Robotics 56K external Voice Faxmodem
Pro, as described at:

http://www.3com.com/client/pcd/products/prod-voice5605-pro.html

is working under Linux?

If it is, anything special to get it to that point or is it working
ootb?

Thanx already,

Ciao

2. write () to TCP socket question

3. Sucessful USR 56K Voice INT setup

4. questions about switching to Linux

5. USR 56K Voice INT PnP - Compatible??

6. Apache/JServ running problem

7. USR 56K Int. Voice Modem: Set to non-PnP ???

8. Do CPU's have to match on SS10's and SS2000's?

9. US Robotics 56K External Voice Faxmodem small problem

10. 3Com -External US Robotics 56k Voice Faxmodem Pro

11. 3com 56k Voice Faxmodem PCI (model 5690)

12. modem/ppp 3com 56k voice faxmodem