Asus P2B and Matrox AGP/PCI?

Post by Amy B. Chan Hilto » Sat, 06 Jun 1998 04:00:00

I am about to purchase all the necessary hardware to put together a
good Linux system.  Has anyone used the new Asus P2B motherboard with
the 440BX chipset for Linux?  And should I opt for the Matrox
Millenium II 4MB PCI or AGP video card, or does it make much of a
difference?  Are all these well-supported?

Thanks!
  Amy

Asus P2B and Matrox AGP/PCI?

Post by Justin Ha » Sun, 07 Jun 1998 04:00:00

: I am about to purchase all the necessary hardware to put together a
: good Linux system.  Has anyone used the new Asus P2B motherboard with
: the 440BX chipset for Linux?  And should I opt for the Matrox
: Millenium II 4MB PCI or AGP video card, or does it make much of a
: difference?  Are all these well-supported?

I'm currently waiting on shipment of a machine equipped with an LX
mother board (ASUS P2L97-S) and a Mill II AGP. The vid. card is
supported properly under Xfree86 v3.3.2 (Redhat 5.1 ships this,
otherwise you'll need to download a newer server), and the AGP card is
probably a better idea performance wise, as AGP is IIRC a separate bus
giving the vid. card extra bandwidth, and relegating the complete PCI
bandwidth for your PCI cards.

The only "gotcha" with Mill. II's is that Xfree doesn't detect the RAM
correctly, just specify explicitly how much RAM you have in your
XF86Config file, or by using the graphical setup tool and choosing
detailed configuration (or some such).

Good Luck.

--
  -----------------------------------

  |Systems Administrator            |
  |Boston University SPI Lab        |
  -----------------------------------

Asus P2B and Matrox AGP/PCI?

Post by Robert Berneck » Wed, 10 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> : the 440BX chipset for Linux?  And should I opt for the Matrox
> : Millenium II 4MB PCI or AGP video card, or does it make much of a
> : difference?  Are all these well-supported?

I just bought a P2B-DS and am running a Millennium 8MB PCI card
in it with no problems. HOWEVER, I had contemplated buying
a Millennium II AGP card, BUT checked with Matrox first,
as my supplier had problems getting stock.

Matrox says:

a. They are making fewer of the Mill II AGP cards, because...

b. In July or so, they'll be releasing a newer AGP card with
   their G100? G200? chipset which will do 128-bit transfers.

Their claim is that it'll be a lot faster for about the same price.

Not sure how long it'll take to get XFREE86 running on it, though.
Bob