Future Domain SCSI + Sankyo TAPE

Post by Halasz Csa » Tue, 10 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Hi!

I have just installed a somewhat old Future Domain TMC860 SCSI adapter
and use it with a Sankyo CP-525 tape drive. All is well, except that
my cpu load soars to 50% with a Cyrix 6x86-PR200 Cpu.
OK, the adapter is slow, the tape drive is slow but it shouldn't
influence the cpu unless something is wrong. Maybe the driver
is busy waiting somewhere? How can I find out where the problem is?

My main concern is, that having a SCSI adapter I might want to buy
a SCSI CD drive so that it doesn't mess with my hard drives, but
at 50% cpu load I'll stick with an IDE drive.
(Don't tell me to buy a decent SCSI card, I just spent my savings
on the other parts - cpu, mobo, ram)

Thanks,
        Csaba Halasz

PS> Add me to the "Linux and AMD/Cyrix cpus" thread - ran nicely with
a Cyrix 5x86M1Sc-120 and now with the above mentioned M2 PR200 :)))

Post by Jaap Schelleke » Wed, 11 Mar 1998 04:00:00

: Hi!

: I have just installed a somewhat old Future Domain TMC860 SCSI adapter
: and use it with a Sankyo CP-525 tape drive. All is well, except that
: my cpu load soars to 50% with a Cyrix 6x86-PR200 Cpu.
: OK, the adapter is slow, the tape drive is slow but it shouldn't
: influence the cpu unless something is wrong. Maybe the driver
: is busy waiting somewhere? How can I find out where the problem is?

Accordign to the SCSI Howto this is board does fifo polled io. CPU usage
can be as high as 75% on fast devices. They are supposed to be good for
tape drives etc. Looks like you tapedrive is faster than you think.

: My main concern is, that having a SCSI adapter I might want to buy
: a SCSI CD drive so that it doesn't mess with my hard drives, but
: at 50% cpu load I'll stick with an IDE drive.
: (Don't tell me to buy a decent SCSI card, I just spent my savings
: on the other parts - cpu, mobo, ram)

I never regretted the $75,- I paid for my asus SC200 (ncr53810) ;-)

Cheers -- Jaap

1. Sankyo 250MB SCSI tape drive compatible with linux?

Hello,

I am thinking about installing a tape backup drive on my 486/66 VESA local
bus machine with IDE hard drive on it.  Since the manufacturer
says that once I
open up the package of the tape drive I can not return the product even if
the drive does not work on my linux system.  The dealer is not sure if the drive
will work on linux or not.

I am desparately looking forward to the comments from the
linux news group on the following tape drive,
        Sankyo 250MB SCSI
        Sankyo SCSI adapter (with adaptec chipset)

I am particularly interested in its conpatibility with linux.  Please
e-mail me at

Thank you.

Tsung

2. Help - Broken reverse lookup (remote only)

3. SCSI: TMC 855 + SANKYO CP150SE (Tape) does not work

4. : Can one redirect ALSA sound to disk?

5. Need Future Domain SCSI 18xx SCSI drvier for Linux

6. dlopen on sunos 4.1.[3|4]

7. HELP: Future Domain SCSI with 2 SCSI drives

8. Cheapbytes CDROMs--my drive can't read them!

9. Future Domain 9C50 SCSI chip (as in Orchid SoundWave 32 pro SCSI)

10. Future Domain TMC950 + tape drive - ANYONE?!?!

11. Future Domain SCSI Problem

12. Possible changes to the FUTURE DOMAIN parts of seagate scsi driver.

13. need help with future domain tmc-845 scsi