EIDE CD-ROM + EIDE 1280 WD HD + all kinds of shit

EIDE CD-ROM + EIDE 1280 WD HD + all kinds of shit

Post by BoLo » Sat, 27 May 1995 04:00:00

Okay...

I haven't installed Linux yet but I want to address these problems BEFORE
they occur.

I have an old 486DX/33 motherboard with 8Mb of RAM, 256K cache.  It does
NOT support large EIDE drives by default.  I am running a Western Digital
1280 Caviar drive on my primary IDE channel.  I am using Ontrack Disk
Mangler^H^H^H^H^H^H^HManager to address the whole drive.

I have a Reveal 4X E-IDE CD-ROM drive on my secondary IDE channel, set as
master.  No slave drives on either channel.  Primary IDE is on my VLB
IDE/IO card; secondary is on a cheap card that came with the Reveal kit.

Everything works fine in DOS/Windows.

I have what I think is the latest version of Slackware on a DOS partition.

Questions:  Will Linux support my 1280 Mb drive without any hacks or
modifications to ide.c?  What drivers do I need for my ATAPI CD-ROM, or
are they already there?

Thanks in advance,

[ Matthew A. Schnoor ]

Post by Riccardo Facchet » Mon, 29 May 1995 04:00:00

>Okay...
>I haven't installed Linux yet but I want to address these problems BEFORE
>they occur.
>I have an old 486DX/33 motherboard with 8Mb of RAM, 256K cache.  It does
>NOT support large EIDE drives by default.  I am running a Western Digital
>1280 Caviar drive on my primary IDE channel.  I am using Ontrack Disk
>Mangler^H^H^H^H^H^H^HManager to address the whole drive.
>I have a Reveal 4X E-IDE CD-ROM drive on my secondary IDE channel, set as
>master.  No slave drives on either channel.  Primary IDE is on my VLB
>IDE/IO card; secondary is on a cheap card that came with the Reveal kit.
>Everything works fine in DOS/Windows.
>I have what I think is the latest version of Slackware on a DOS partition.
>Questions:  Will Linux support my 1280 Mb drive without any hacks or
>modifications to ide.c?  What drivers do I need for my ATAPI CD-ROM, or

Linux as far as I can remember (note that I have not the problem ... errr
the disk :) Linux can handle EIDE (big) disks without problems.
The only thing is that if you are using LILO, try to have the kernel
file near the start of the disk because at very first boot time BIOS services
are used and the kernel file must be reached by them.

Quote:>are they already there?

Yes ATAPI CDROM driver is in the kernel. Just

make clean && make config && make dep && make zImage

I have a configuration very similar.
I have an old 486/33 (256 cache) with 2 HDs (250 Mb each) on the first IDE (ISA)
interface (Primary address, interrupt 14) and an ATAPI CDROM on the second
IDE (ISA) interface (Secondary address, interrupt 15) set as master.
As a side effect I have 4 COM ports and 2 LPT ports. All with their
interrupts (4 3 2 5 for com ports and polling driver for lpt ports).
The two IDE (ISA) controllers are 10$ each multi I/O that can do the coffee too.

If my configuration works ... any configuration MUST work :))

Ciao,
        Riccardo.

Post by Louis Lagendi » Wed, 31 May 1995 04:00:00

>Okay...

>I haven't installed Linux yet but I want to address these problems BEFORE
>they occur.

>I have an old 486DX/33 motherboard with 8Mb of RAM, 256K cache.  It does
>NOT support large EIDE drives by default.  I am running a Western Digital
>1280 Caviar drive on my primary IDE channel.  I am using Ontrack Disk
>Mangler^H^H^H^H^H^H^HManager to address the whole drive.

>I have a Reveal 4X E-IDE CD-ROM drive on my secondary IDE channel, set as
>master.  No slave drives on either channel.  Primary IDE is on my VLB
>IDE/IO card; secondary is on a cheap card that came with the Reveal kit.

>Everything works fine in DOS/Windows.

>I have what I think is the latest version of Slackware on a DOS partition.

>Questions:  Will Linux support my 1280 Mb drive without any hacks or
>modifications to ide.c?  What drivers do I need for my ATAPI CD-ROM, or
>are they already there?

Linux does support the disk, but Disk Manager will cause problems.
DM claims all disk space and tricks dos to get dos working right.
At the same time it leaves the disk inaccessable to any other
operating system (exept maybe OS/2).....`
The disk is not the problem (I have one myself), but DM is crap..
Cheers, Louis

Post by Erik Cor » Wed, 31 May 1995 04:00:00

: Okay...

: I haven't installed Linux yet but I want to address these problems BEFORE
: they occur.

: I have an old 486DX/33 motherboard with 8Mb of RAM, 256K cache.  It does
: NOT support large EIDE drives by default.  I am running a Western Digital
: 1280 Caviar drive on my primary IDE channel.  I am using Ontrack Disk
: Mangler^H^H^H^H^H^H^HManager to address the whole drive.

You need to get rid of the Ontrack Disk Mismanager. Linux will not
understand the partitioning system unless you have a really new
version, of Ontrack which is rumored to work with Linux.

Unfortunately, this means reformatting the whole drive, and
fitting all your DOS/Windows/booting-Linux data onto the lower
ca. 512MB. Once Linux is booted, with loadlin, lilo, or whatever
it can use the rest of the disk.

You weren't going to leave more than half a gigabyte for Windows
were you?

--

1. Install OpenServer 5.0.2 on an EIDE HD using a SCSI CD-ROM??????

I am so lost!!
I have install OpenServer at least 5 times now.
I have a dual Pentium Pro 200 machine that has the following
configurations:
4.2 Gb SCSI HD running off of a Adaptec 2940UW controller
SCSI CD-ROM drive running off the same controleer as the HD
and a 4.4 Gb EIDE HD running off the built in IDE controller on the MB.

The IDE drive is my startup drive. I have Winslow '95 installed it.
I purchased System Commander so that I could run both OS'es safely.
All is well.

I put the boot disk in the drive and start the installation process. SCO
is installs itself onto the SCSI HD, which is not the primary therefore
it can not load even though I setup System Commander correctly.

I figure the only way to get the OS to load is to install it onto my
EIDE drive. How the hell do I do that?
I read all the help at SCO's web site but there is nothing about
installing from a SCSI CD-ROM to an EIDE HD!!

Has anybody out there found a way to get around this problem?????

                                                                Thanks,
                                                                Eli

2. Prinitng!!!!!

3. Help w/ SCSI hd, EIDE/ATAPI CD-ROM, 1.2.13 system

4. postscript fonts

5. WD hd + QD8500 EIDE +interface

6. 6225 ssa tuning

7. WD 1Gig HD + EIDE w/ Linux

8. sendmail, mail, mailer-problems on linux-PC

9. EIDE CD-ROM and AUDIO CD

10. Q: EIDE CD-ROM Installation...

11. Question: Support SIIG SoundCard EIDE/TAPI CD-ROM

12. Need help setting up EIDE CD-ROM

13. EIDE CD-ROM problems