hardware for linux

Post by lz » Tue, 03 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Dear LINUX-Gurus,

I want to start with LINUX and would like to know if there is something
like a hardwarecompatibility-list.
Aspecially I would like to know which motherboards, grafikcards and
SCSI-controller run under LINUX
without troubles.

Thank you for the help !
L. Zyka

hardware for linux

Post by Howard Man » Wed, 04 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Dear LINUX-Gurus,

> I want to start with LINUX and would like to know if there is something
> like a hardwarecompatibility-list.
> Aspecially I would like to know which motherboards, grafikcards and
> SCSI-controller run under LINUX
> without troubles.

> Thank you for the help !
> L. Zyka

 http://metalab.unc.edu/LDP/HOWTO/Hardware-HOWTO.html

Cheers,

--
Howard Mann
http://www.newbielinux.com

hardware for linux

Post by root » Thu, 05 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> Dear LINUX-Gurus,

> I want to start with LINUX and would like to know if there is something
> like a hardwarecompatibility-list.
> Aspecially I would like to know which motherboards, grafikcards and
> SCSI-controller run under LINUX
> without troubles.

> Thank you for the help !
> L. Zyka

To find this information you need to decide which Distribution of linux
you are going to use.  Then you can go to that distributors web site and
find a compatiblity list.  My personal suggestion for a newbie is
RedHat.

hardware for linux

Post by le.. » Mon, 09 Aug 1999 04:00:00

I'm new to linux. I've heard a lot about it and figured I'd give it a
try.  I've been hearing that linux won't work with some hardware. Is
this usually a big problem or does linux work with most hardware?

hardware for linux

Post by Justin B Willough » Mon, 09 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> I'm new to linux. I've heard a lot about it and figured I'd give it a
> try.  I've been hearing that linux won't work with some hardware. Is
> this usually a big problem or does linux work with most hardware?

Yes it works with most hardware (in my option).

RedHat has a hardware compatibility guide and there is also a hardware HOWTO
or MINIHOWTO I dont remember which.

Go to linux.org and click on support and then take a look at the HOWTOs
and MINIHOWTOs. After you install Linux you have the option to install the
(MINI)HOWTOs on your local system.

- Justin
--
   _/     _/_/_/  _/    _/  _/    _/ _/   _/   RULES!! * LINUX RULES *
  _/       _/    _/_/  _/  _/    _/   _/_/     Justin Willoughby

hardware for linux

Post by ant.. » Tue, 10 Aug 1999 04:00:00

: I'm new to linux. I've heard a lot about it and figured I'd give it a
: try.  I've been hearing that linux won't work with some hardware. Is
: this usually a big problem or does linux work with most hardware?

I've found that linux works with most reasonably well known hardware.
If a lot of people use it, someone has probably written a driver for it
under linux.

Check out the Hardware HOWTO at linux.org for specific devices, etc.

Antryg - Semi-new to linux.

--

hardware for linux

Post by John Nelso » Tue, 10 Aug 1999 04:00:00

>I'm new to linux. I've heard a lot about it and figured I'd give it a
>try.  I've been hearing that linux won't work with some hardware. Is
>this usually a big problem or does linux work with most hardware?

There's an awful lot of hardware out there that Linux will NOT work with.
That said, most common mainstream components are supported by Linux.

Where you are likely to encounter issues (in no particular order) are SCSI
controllers, video cards, sound cards, network cards, and modems.

When it comes to modems, I have been able to get internal modems working,
but never as easily as an external model. Of course, the CPU-driven
"WinModems" won't work at all.

Most NE2000-clone NICs work fine. Some don't. Save the yourself the pain and
go with an Intel card.

RedHat's support pages have an extensive list of supported SCSI controllers.