No sound when using "drvmidi" or "tkmidi"

No sound when using "drvmidi" or "tkmidi"

Post by Noury BENMANSOU » Wed, 12 Nov 1997 04:00:00

I have an AWE64 PnP card and RedHat linux 4.2

I have dowloaded the awe driver 0.4.0 from
http://bahamut.mm.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~iwai/awedrv.
After that I have recompiled the kernel.
I have installed then the midi player dowloaded from the same address.

1 - I have sound with "play" or "cat > /dev/audio" when using ".au" files
     I have sound (very bad quality compared to the one under ....95)
     When I record sounds from a microphone using "dd .... > sample.au" and
play it back
     after, ther is no sound.
     Why ?

2 - When I use the midi player whith ".mid" files it seems to work fine(bar
graphs)
     but there is no sound.

Post by Arun Bhall » Wed, 19 Nov 1997 04:00:00

: I have an AWE64 PnP card and RedHat linux 4.2

: I have dowloaded the awe driver 0.4.0 from
: http://bahamut.mm.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~iwai/awedrv.
: After that I have recompiled the kernel.
: I have installed then the midi player dowloaded from the same address.

: 1 - I have sound with "play" or "cat > /dev/audio" when using ".au" files
:      I have sound (very bad quality compared to the one under ....95)
:      When I record sounds from a microphone using "dd .... > sample.au" and
: play it back
:      after, ther is no sound.
:      Why ?

I'm not sure if I've experienced the same problem.  One thing I have noticed
is that I need to initialize the drivers by running 'cat /dev/sndstat >
/dev/null' at bootup if I want to hear any output from the CD-ROM.  I'm not
quite sure why this is the case.  It seems to be a bug.  Perhaps the
initialization or reset phase needed after the bootup is not a part of
the module's initialization function.

: 2 - When I use the midi player whith ".mid" files it seems to work fine(bar
: graphs)
:      but there is no sound.

You need to run 'sfxload' first to initialize the SoundFonts on the card.
This program is a part of the awesfx package on the same site.  You can
run 'sfxload' by itself to use the ROM SoundFonts, or you can
pass a SBK filename as an argument.  You might find synthgm.sbk in your
\Windows\System directory on your DOS partition, or where your Creative Labs
programs are located.

Arun Bhalla