Major Hardware Mystery

Post by Vikram Baj » Tue, 20 Feb 1996 04:00:00

I have one system here as follows:

Ambra 486SLC-50 (no coprocessor)
WD/Paradise Video Card
10 Meg Memory
IDE 329 MB Maxtor Drive
3.5 Floppy

GVC NE2000 ethernet
SB16 Sound Blaster
Logicode Quicktel 28.8

Now, when I attempt to install anything on my system, I get persistent crc
errors.  I tried to install slackware from disk and a hard drive partition,
but gzip reported, again, crc errors, and I am certain that the disks were
fine.  I tried to do an ftp install of Red Hat, and crc errors were reported
there as well.

I took several steps to isolate the problem.  First, I made the slackware
floppies on another computer that I knew to be completely reliable.  The
results were the same.  Then, I removed all unnecessary hardware, but
there was no difference in the problem.

Finally, I removed my hard drive and network card.  I installed them both
on my Pentium, and I executed a flawless install of Red Hat via ftp.  The
system runs perfectly, but, when I try to install any package, I get
persistent crc errors again.  Obviously, this is, in some way,
related to my computer hardware.  I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,

Vik Bajaj
University of Pennsylvania

---
"I have become Death, the shatterer of worlds."

1. Major Hardware Problem!!

This isn't strictly a Linux specific problem, but I effects my Linux
box, too!

I have a Compaq Presario 4808 with the CD ROM drive that has no tray.
I.e., you just slip the CD ROM into the drive slot and it picks it up
(and swallows it?) and you're in business.

I ejected a CD earlier and didn't take it out immediately. The drive
sucked it back in and now it's holding it hostage! HELP!! How do I get
the CD out intact? (CD & drive, preferably).

David

2. syquest rmovable drives

3. Major hardware change (mobo)

4. Setting target ID on SCSI H/A

5. Hardware Error - Major 8 - What is it?

6. Newbie: Can't configure broadband on Solaris

7. MAJOR MAJOR PROBLEMS

8. a tale of two boxes (that hang)

9. NEED MAJOR HELP MAJOR FAST!

10. Need MAJOR HELP MAJOR FAST

11. block-major...char-major...probs

12. HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE

13. need to learn hardware troubleshooting - sound hardware conflict