SCSI CD-RW: yamaha 4416s: HowTo REWrite CD-RW's?

SCSI CD-RW: yamaha 4416s: HowTo REWrite CD-RW's?

Post by Carsten Cimande » Thu, 08 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I have a SCSI-CD-RW drive yamaha 4416s in my linux box
(4x write, 4x re-write, 16x read)
along with a SCSI CD-ROM TEAC CD-532S (/dev/scd0)

1) How to get it work with CD-RW's?
2) How to erase CD-RW's?
3) How to (re-)write?

I have cdrecord and xcdroast installed.

Many questions. I know

Any help is welcome.
Carsten

Post by Nektarios Lathiotaki » Sat, 10 Jul 1999 04:00:00

: Hi,

: I have a SCSI-CD-RW drive yamaha 4416s in my linux box
: (4x write, 4x re-write, 16x read)
: along with a SCSI CD-ROM TEAC CD-532S (/dev/scd0)

: 1) How to get it work with CD-RW's?
: 2) How to erase CD-RW's?
: 3) How to (re-)write?

: I have cdrecord and xcdroast installed.

: Many questions. I know

: Any help is welcome.
: Carsten

Hi,

If it works with Recordables it ll work with rewritables too.
I supose it does. I use :
          cdrecord dev=0,3,0 blank=fast speed=4
to erase a disk and Rewrite it with xcdroast in iso9660. Unfortunately erase
is not supported by xcdroast. See man page of cdrecord for details for
dev= numbers.

There is also an other filesystem (udf) designed for rewritables and
DVDs but although the filsesystem support is in good stage, the device
can be mounted read only and cant be used with rewritables (yet).
see http://trylinux.com/projects/udf/ for details about udf filesystem.
It is the filesystem that adaptec's directCD program uses in windows for
Rewritables.

Anyway, you can (re)write CD-RW in iso9660 format as if they were
recordables if you erase them each time.

good luck
Nektarios