Which CD Burner for Redhat 7.2 - 8.0

Which CD Burner for Redhat 7.2 - 8.0

Post by Ja » Sat, 07 Dec 2002 16:53:39



This is probably a very common question but i'm looking for a new cd
burner. I've looked in the redhat hardware list but didn't find an
answer. I don't want to spent more than $100 (or 100 euro). At this
time i have redhat 7.2 but i want to upgrade to 8.0. At this moment i
cann't because my current burner is dead so i cann't burn the 8.0
cd's. Does anyone as a sugestion which burner i need to buy?

Thanks in Advance ,

Jan

 
 
 

Which CD Burner for Redhat 7.2 - 8.0

Post by Lenar » Sat, 07 Dec 2002 22:15:35



Quote:> This is probably a very common question but i'm looking for a new cd
> burner. I've looked in the redhat hardware list but didn't find an answer.
> I don't want to spent more than $100 (or 100 euro). At this time i have
> redhat 7.2 but i want to upgrade to 8.0. At this moment i cann't because
> my current burner is dead so i cann't burn the 8.0 cd's. Does anyone as a
> sugestion which burner i need to buy?

> Thanks in Advance ,

> Jan

Just about any of the current mmc compliant SCSI or ATAPI burners will work.
A pretty good list of them can be found at;

http://www.fokus.gmd.de/research/cc/glone/employees/joerg.schilling/p...

(watch out for word-warp the above link is one long line)

 
 
 

Which CD Burner for Redhat 7.2 - 8.0

Post by Dances With Crow » Sat, 07 Dec 2002 22:27:44


On 5 Dec 2002 23:53:39 -0800, Jan staggered into the Black Sun and said:

Quote:> I don't want to spent more than $100 (or 100 euro).

With hardware, you get what you pay for.  More expensive CD-RWs tend to
be more reliable.  See if you can find a lower-speed Plextor; they are
high-quality and their older models (12/10/32A) should be about $100
now.

Quote:> time i have redhat 7.2 but i want to upgrade to 8.0. At this moment i
> cann't because my current burner is dead so i cann't burn the 8.0
> cd's. Does anyone as a sugestion which burner i need to buy?

Any IDE or SCSI CD-RW will work; you just need to decide whether you
want to buy something cheap that'll die when the warranty runs out, or
something more expensive that won't.

--
Matt G|There is no Darkness in Eternity/But only Light too dim for us to see
Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /
http://www.brainbench.com     /  "He is a rhythmic movement of the
-----------------------------/    penguins, is Tux." --MegaHAL

 
 
 

Which CD Burner for Redhat 7.2 - 8.0

Post by morde » Sun, 08 Dec 2002 11:15:47



> On 5 Dec 2002 23:53:39 -0800, Jan staggered into the Black Sun and said:

> >I don't want to spent more than $100 (or 100 euro).

> With hardware, you get what you pay for.  More expensive CD-RWs tend to
> be more reliable.  See if you can find a lower-speed Plextor; they are
> high-quality and their older models (12/10/32A) should be about $100
> now.

> >time i have redhat 7.2 but i want to upgrade to 8.0. At this moment i
> >cann't because my current burner is dead so i cann't burn the 8.0
> >cd's. Does anyone as a sugestion which burner i need to buy?

> Any IDE or SCSI CD-RW will work; you just need to decide whether you
> want to buy something cheap that'll die when the warranty runs out, or
> something more expensive that won't.

If I remember correctly IDE burner will hang the machine (or at least
the bus) for the duration of fixation. Which is about 30sec+ for a 700MB CD.
 
 
 

Which CD Burner for Redhat 7.2 - 8.0

Post by Douglas Bollinge » Mon, 09 Dec 2002 07:17:05



> If I remember correctly IDE burner will hang the machine (or at least the
> bus) for the duration of fixation. Which is about 30sec+ for a 700MB CD.

This is bull crap.  I've been using IDE burners for years and have never
seen this.

I've already compiled kernels while burning cdroms, before the burners came
with burn-proof technology.  No problems, just remember to set the u and d
flags with hdparm and have the hard drive and cd burner on separate cables.

Burners are commidity products now, and Linux will work with all the modern
ones.  Don't worry, get whatever you want.  I replaced the aging (but still
working fine) Yamaha 4416 in my headless Linux box with a new Cendyne unit
from the local OfficeMax for $60 - $30 rebate.  It works great!  And the
old Winchip 200 cpu still only sees .25 cpu activity, and none of these
* bologny.

--
The luck that is ordained for you will be coveted by others.

 
 
 

Which CD Burner for Redhat 7.2 - 8.0

Post by Dances With Crow » Mon, 09 Dec 2002 07:50:51


On Sat, 07 Dec 2002 17:17:05 -0500, Douglas Bollinger staggered into the
Black Sun and said:


>> If I remember correctly IDE burner will hang the machine (or at least
>> the bus) for the duration of fixation. Which is about 30sec+ for a
>> 700MB CD.

> This is bull crap.  I've been using IDE burners for years and have
> never seen this.
> I've already compiled kernels while burning cdroms, before the burners
> came with burn-proof technology.  No problems, just remember to set
> the u and d flags with hdparm and have the hard drive and cd burner on
> separate cables.

The "hang the machine" part is something I've never seen.  I have seen 3
different IDE CD-RWs hang the IDE bus they were connected to during the
fixation process.  This meant, if the CD-RW was on /dev/hdc , while
cdrecord displayed "Fixating...", /dev/hdd would be totally
inaccessible.  hdparm settings made no difference in this behavior.  If
I had / and /usr on /dev/hdd, and I tried to do almost anything while
the CD-RW was fixating, whatever process I tried to start would get
stuck in state D until fixation finished.

This is, I think, a problem with the IDE bus itself, in its pre-ATA100
incarnations.  You probably know that the IDE bus is brain-damaged since
only one device per bus can be active at any given time.  The behavior
of IDE CD-RWs while fixating is a great way to display this
brain-damage.  We can only hope for serial ATA to deliver us from this,
since real SCSI devices are still absurdly priced.

Quote:> Burners are commidity products now, and Linux will work with all the
> modern ones.  Don't worry, get whatever you want.  I replaced the
> aging (but still working fine) Yamaha 4416 in my headless Linux box
> with a new Cendyne unit from the local OfficeMax for $60 - $30 rebate.
> It works great!

With hardware, you typically get what you pay for.  I did the same thing
you did about 2.5 years ago--replaced a dead Philips with the cheapest
Cendyne OfficeHacks had on hand.  The Cendyne lasted for one week past
its warranty period before coughing up "Uncorrectable error.  Additional
sense key indicates: tracking servo failure" left and right.  So I use
and recommend Plextor drives, as I've had zero mechanical problems with
mine even 8 months after the warranty's expired.  YMMV, of course.

--
Matt G|There is no Darkness in Eternity/But only Light too dim for us to see
Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /
http://www.brainbench.com     /  "He is a rhythmic movement of the
-----------------------------/    penguins, is Tux." --MegaHAL

 
 
 

Which CD Burner for Redhat 7.2 - 8.0

Post by Douglas Bollinge » Tue, 10 Dec 2002 10:33:53



> The "hang the machine" part is something I've never seen.  I have seen 3
> different IDE CD-RWs hang the IDE bus they were connected to during the
> fixation process.  This meant, if the CD-RW was on /dev/hdc , while
> cdrecord displayed "Fixating...", /dev/hdd would be totally inaccessible.
> hdparm settings made no difference in this behavior.  If I had / and /usr
> on /dev/hdd, and I tried to do almost anything while the CD-RW was
> fixating, whatever process I tried to start would get stuck in state D
> until fixation finished.

> This is, I think, a problem with the IDE bus itself, in its pre-ATA100
> incarnations.  You probably know that the IDE bus is brain-damaged since
> only one device per bus can be active at any given time.  The behavior of
> IDE CD-RWs while fixating is a great way to display this brain-damage.  We
> can only hope for serial ATA to deliver us from this, since real SCSI
> devices are still absurdly priced.

This is can agree with.  With IDE, from what I understand, you really can't
use more than one device at a time on each ribbon cable.  That's why I
always make sure the hard drive(s) are on one cable, and the burner
(tape/zip) are on the other.  It makes drive to drive copies difficult; I
guess you would have to spring for another IDE card and get 2 more
channels.

It would be nice if IDE limitations, 3.5" floppies and the crappy BIOs
setup/limitations would die when the next-gen computer stuff comes into
use.

Quote:> With hardware, you typically get what you pay for.  I did the same thing
> you did about 2.5 years ago--replaced a dead Philips with the cheapest
> Cendyne OfficeHacks had on hand.  The Cendyne lasted for one week past its
> warranty period before coughing up "Uncorrectable error.  Additional sense
> key indicates: tracking servo failure" left and right.  So I use and
> recommend Plextor drives, as I've had zero mechanical problems with mine
> even 8 months after the warranty's expired.  YMMV, of course.

I suppose it depends how much you use the burner.  The Yamaha lasted until
it was obselete and if this one lasts a year until I get a DVD burner, that
would be fine.  I guess if it dies I could always reinstall the old Yamaha
again. :) The point I was trying to get across is that all the modern
burners, cheap IDE or otherwise, work great in Linux.

--
Dirksen's Three Laws of Politics:
        (1) Get elected.
        (2) Get re-elected.
        (3) Don't get mad, get even.
                -- Sen. Everett Dirksen

 
 
 

Which CD Burner for Redhat 7.2 - 8.0

Post by morde » Wed, 11 Dec 2002 04:27:14




> >The "hang the machine" part is something I've never seen.  I have seen 3
> >different IDE CD-RWs hang the IDE bus they were connected to during the
> >fixation process.  This meant, if the CD-RW was on /dev/hdc , while
> >cdrecord displayed "Fixating...", /dev/hdd would be totally
> inaccessible.
> >hdparm settings made no difference in this behavior.  If I had / and /usr
> >on /dev/hdd, and I tried to do almost anything while the CD-RW was
> >fixating, whatever process I tried to start would get stuck in state D
> >until fixation finished.

That's what I meant by "hang the machine". HTM=make comp inaccessible
for the duration of fixation which is not all that short. This does not
happen with scsi burners.

Quote:

> >This is, I think, a problem with the IDE bus itself, in its pre-ATA100
> >incarnations.  You probably know that the IDE bus is brain-damaged since
> >only one device per bus can be active at any given time.  The behavior of
> >IDE CD-RWs while fixating is a great way to display this
> brain-damage.  We
> >can only hope for serial ATA to deliver us from this, since real SCSI
> >devices are still absurdly priced.

Well, I stick with this compromise: small (18gb or less) SCSI disk for
booting and data (can be had for about $130), SCSI CDROMS and DVD
drives, ide drives for audio and video where you need space and crashing
is not as big a deal.
Unfortunately my 10k rpm SCSI drive is too noisy for a home comp but
I'm unwilling to dump it in favor of a quiet 5400 rpm ide drive
because I don't want unreliable drive holding OS & data :-(((((

Quote:

> This is can agree with.  With IDE, from what I understand, you really
> can't
> use more than one device at a time on each ribbon cable.  That's why I
> always make sure the hard drive(s) are on one cable, and the burner
> (tape/zip) are on the other.  It makes drive to drive copies difficult; I

What difficulties do you have with copying from one ide drive to
another? I have two on one channel in my home box and have no
problems whatsoever... The only time I get problems is when I
play some video and have another heavy IO user on the same drive. But
that's not specific to ide I guess and playing with -cache in mplayer
may help. No time to try it out yet.

Quote:

> guess you would have to spring for another IDE card and get 2 more
> channels.

> It would be nice if IDE limitations, 3.5" floppies and the crappy BIOs
> setup/limitations would die when the next-gen computer stuff comes into
> use.

Hmm, I've just got Toshiba S103 from Worst Buy for $750 (I know, it's
$650 now) and it does NOT have a floppy (though there is a slot for it).
I'm not sure I'm all that happy about this setup. The only ways outside
are through the modem or ethernet. I don't know how much of it works
just yet. But RedHat 7.3 surely does hang during PCMCIA detection :-]
Slackware 8.1 boots with no problems whatsoever and pcmcia command works.
Are CDROMs and harddisks on one channel in notebooks or they're
typically on separate channels? Or does it vary from one notebook model
to another?

Quote:

> >With hardware, you typically get what you pay for.  I did the same thing
> >you did about 2.5 years ago--replaced a dead Philips with the cheapest
> >Cendyne OfficeHacks had on hand.  The Cendyne lasted for one week
> past its
> >warranty period before coughing up "Uncorrectable error.  Additional
> sense
> >key indicates: tracking servo failure" left and right.  So I use and
> >recommend Plextor drives, as I've had zero mechanical problems with mine
> >even 8 months after the warranty's expired.  YMMV, of course.

> I suppose it depends how much you use the burner.  The Yamaha lasted until
> it was obselete and if this one lasts a year until I get a DVD burner,
> that
> would be fine.  I guess if it dies I could always reinstall the old

Just make sure you get a DVD burner that can burn CD-Rs. You seem to be
assuming that all of them can do it but I suspect some(most?) don't.
I'd get a separate CD and DVD burners. CD burners are relatively
inexpensive and it will probably get a lot more mileage than DVD burner.

Quote:> Yamaha
> again. :) The point I was trying to get across is that all the modern
> burners, cheap IDE or otherwise, work great in Linux.

It's a moot point, because they're crappy hardware as Matt had
explained. A sweet price/quality point for CD burners (ide or scsi) in
the US seem to be around $100. Can't comment on usb burners. Only
HP8200 seem to be supported by the kernel.
 
 
 

Which CD Burner for Redhat 7.2 - 8.0

Post by Dances With Crow » Wed, 11 Dec 2002 10:36:40


On Mon, 09 Dec 2002 11:27:14 -0800, morden staggered into the Black Sun
and said:



>> >The "hang the machine" part is something I've never seen.  I have
>> >seen 3 different IDE CD-RWs hang the IDE bus they were connected to

> That's what I meant by "hang the machine". HTM=make comp inaccessible
> for the duration of fixation which is not all that short. This does
> not happen with scsi burners.

Must be a difference in terminology then.  "Hang" = "Machine is totally
unresponsive, and requires massive nastiness to get back to normal."  If
it's temporary and goes away after a while, it's not nearly as serious.
Still *y annoying though.

Quote:>> again. :) The point I was trying to get across is that all the modern
>> burners, cheap IDE or otherwise, work great in Linux.

> It's a moot point, because they're crappy hardware as Matt had
> explained. A sweet price/quality point for CD burners (ide or scsi) in
> the US seem to be around $100. Can't comment on usb burners. Only
> HP8200 seem to be supported by the kernel.

USB CD-RWs that follow the USB Mass Storage standards should work just
fine; they're seen as SCSI devices after all!  The HP 8200 support you
noticed is actually an option for enabling specifically for these
drives, since the HP drives use a slightly weird chip.  I'm currently
burning a CD on a Plextor drive with a USB connection using
cdrecord+mkisofs... no problems so far!

--
Matt G|There is no Darkness in Eternity/But only Light too dim for us to see
Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /
http://www.veryComputer.com/     /  "He is a rhythmic movement of the
-----------------------------/    penguins, is Tux." --MegaHAL

 
 
 

1. Need help installing CD Burner on RH 7.2

Hi,

I just bought a CD-RW ( brand is Que ) and would like to install it on
my Redhat 7.2 system.

I have been scouring the web all day reading docs and checking stuff out
and have made zero progress.  First, I am using Grub, not Lilo.  Second,
I don't know if the Default RH7.2 workstation installation has scsi
emulation.

I have upgraded the kernel using up2date, but besides that Im no expert
on kernels.

I would love to find a CURRENT howto on this stuff.  Do I have to
rebuild my kernel?  I seem to remember some GUI tool to configure all
the kernel params, but cannot remember the name....

Can anyone offer any suggestions on what to do and where to go?

Thanks!
Bryan

2. GTE Cable modems and how much they suck

3. Can LG CD-RW CED-8080B write audio CD's in RedHat 7.2?

4. Setting up environment variables for CGI scripts run under apache

5. USB CD burner in Mandrake 8.0

6. My solution for undefined Xsetlocale issue

7. configuring gcc-2.7.2.x on redhat 7.2

8. Asus Riva TNT on Red Hat 5.0 (Hurricane)

9. RedHat 7.2 on THinkPad 7.2

10. program list for redhat 7.2 CDs

11. getting burner to work in 7.2

12. Redhat 7.2 panics booting from install CD, Athlon XP machine

13. Configuring IDE CD-RW drive on RedHat 7.2