Linux and AIT Tape Drives (Sony or Seagate)?

Linux and AIT Tape Drives (Sony or Seagate)?

Post by Todd Featherst » Wed, 08 Apr 1998 04:00:00

I'm going to be getting an new tape drive soon
and would like to get one of the new AIT's.
I will be using it to back up a cluster of workstations
and a smallish LAN (30 or so GB total).  Everything
will be running on 100Mbs Fast Ethernet.
Am I correct in assuming that a SCSI tape drive is
a SCSI tape drive and should work "out of the box"
with Linux?
Does anyone have any expericence using either the Sony
SDX-300 or the Seagate Sidewinder 50 with Linux (RH5.0)?
Thanx
Todd

1. Adaptec 2940 and Sony AIT-2 Tape Drive Problems

I have been having some issues running backup on my Linux file server
the past few weeks. The server setup is as follows:

OS: Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 4 (Nahant)
SCSI Card: Adaptec 2940
Tape Drive: Sony SDX-500V (Internal AIT-2)
Backup Software: Bru (version 16.0)
The tape drive is the only SCSI device in the server

What happens is, it backs up perfectly fine for a while, backup,
verify, and restoring from tape works beautifly! Then all of a sudden
it starts giving an error, it still backs up, just the backup never
seems to finish completely:

/var/log/backup.log:
...[list of files being backed up]...
bru: [I109] attention - assuming end of volume 1 (unknown size)

Apparently it's asking for another volume, but since the job is running
in the background, it just aborts.

Here is what appears in the output of dmesg:
st0: Error with sense data: Info fld=0x676, Current st0: sense key
Medium Error
Additional sense: Write error
st0: Error with sense data: Info fld=0x40, Current st0: sense key
Medium Error
Additional sense: Write error
st0: Error with sense data: Info fld=0x40, Current st0: sense key
Medium Error
Additional sense: Write error
st0: Error with sense data: Info fld=0x40, Current st0: sense key
Medium Error
Additional sense: Write error
st0: Error with sense data: Info fld=0x1, Current st0: sense key Medium
Error
Additional sense: Write error
st0: Error on write filemark.

There are no messages in /var/log/messages

The same problem happened a few months ago, back then, we took the
server apart, cleaned everything, made sure all the SCSI settings were
correct, replaced the SCSI card, then replaced the SCSI cable with a
brand new one, none of that helped the problem... a week or so later,
it just kind of went away on it's own.

Anyone have any ideas on what may be causing this and what I can do to
try and stop these seemingly random periods of failures?

Thanks,
-- Dmitriy M

2. RocketModemII vs. Linux 2.6.0-test8

3. AIX 4.2.1 & Sony AIT tape drive

4. DOSEMU 0.52, IBM PS/VP with S3 card => Segmentation fault

5. Sony AIT tape drives

6. leadtek video card

7. Sony AIT Tape drive suppot ??

8. NEC CD and hdc3

9. Does AIX support Sony AIT-2 Tape drives?

10. Sony AIT tape/drive and using its MIC feature

11. Linux support for Sony AIT drive (SDX-300X)?

12. MIC in Sony AIT/SAIT tapes

13. Sony AIT-2 tape throughput