UPS for LINUX

Post by rust » Thu, 26 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Hi All
I'm currently shopping around for a UPS for our Linux server. (Red Hat
5.2)
I want one that can communicate with The server for automatic shutdown.
Battery life is not as important to me as is price.  I just want to have
the server do a clean
shutdown in case of brown and black outs.

APC has models starting at $259 going up to $879 (depending on battery
life
and outlet count).  These are the "Smart-UPS" series they come with
shutdown software for
Windoze Boxes. Does anyone know if there are Linux  ports of the
software for these devices or
where I might look to find out.?
If not do you know of any other makes or models that might do what I
want.

Thanks
Rusty

UPS for LINUX

Post by John Henderso » Thu, 26 Aug 1999 04:00:00

I bought a MGE ES2+ from Fry's for $50 and used a Linux driver from
MGE's web page.  It works.

> Hi All
> I'm currently shopping around for a UPS for our Linux server. (Red Hat
> 5.2)
> I want one that can communicate with The server for automatic shutdown.
> Battery life is not as important to me as is price.  I just want to have
> the server do a clean
> shutdown in case of brown and black outs.

> APC has models starting at $259 going up to $879 (depending on battery
> life
> and outlet count).  These are the "Smart-UPS" series they come with
> shutdown software for
> Windoze Boxes. Does anyone know if there are Linux  ports of the
> software for these devices or
> where I might look to find out.?
> If not do you know of any other makes or models that might do what I
> want.

> Thanks
> Rusty

UPS for LINUX

Post by Jeremy Finch » Thu, 26 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>I bought a MGE ES2+ from Fry's for $50 and used a Linux driver from
>MGE's web page.  It works.

From fry's?  Where's that?  Is there a URL?

Thanks,
Jeremy

----------------------------------
If i ever forget to capitalize a proper noun, forgive me.  i'm a big fan of ee
cummings

My ICQ # is 28153190. My AIM/AOL name is either jemfinch02 or Cassius80.
Have a good day, and good luck in your endeavors!

UPS for LINUX

Post by Ronald Bru » Thu, 26 Aug 1999 04:00:00

:>I bought a MGE ES2+ from Fry's for $50 and used a Linux driver from
:>MGE's web page.  It works.
:>
:
:From fry's?  Where's that?  Is there a URL?

Ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha [wild maniacal laughter].

Check out "Dave's Experiences at Fry's Electronics" web pages at

  <http://www.accesscom.com/~dave6592/frys.html>

before visiting an actual store.  My favorite TITLE, at least, is on Page
10:  "I HATE FRY'S MORE THAN GIANT RED AMAZONIAN FIRE ANTS STINGING ME IN
THE EYES!!!!!!!"  BTW, they don't REALLY do body cavity searches before
you leave, although it comes close.

You can sometimes get pretty decent prices at Fry's--if you're an expert,
know EXACTLY what you want, and are willing to put up with the "help".  I
doubt you can beat the prices from places like www.buybuddy.com, but if
you need to get your hands on it NOW, Fry's is a very popular place.
Since I'm often in that situation, where Fedex would kill my savings, I
shop there a lot.

They do NOT have a web page.  That would be like waving a red flag in
front of a bull, especially for Linux users ;-)

--Ron Bruck

UPS for LINUX

Post by Bobby D. Bryan » Fri, 27 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> Hi All
> I'm currently shopping around for a UPS for our Linux server. (Red Hat
> 5.2)
> I want one that can communicate with The server for automatic shutdown.
> Battery life is not as important to me as is price.  I just want to have
> the server do a clean
> shutdown in case of brown and black outs.

> APC has models starting at $259 going up to $879 (depending on battery
> life
> and outlet count).  These are the "Smart-UPS" series they come with
> shutdown software for
> Windoze Boxes. Does anyone know if there are Linux  ports of the
> software for these devices or
> where I might look to find out.?
> If not do you know of any other makes or models that might do what I
> want.

You might be able to use the cheaper BackUPS 500 or 650.  I believe the
going rates in the USA are $150 and $200 respectively.  (They also have
models in this line with ratings < 500 VAm, but only the 500 and 650 have
the cable outlet for autoshutdown.  That applies *only* to the BackUPS
line, not to the more expensive BackUPS Pro or SmartUPS models.  I'm not
positive about the difference between the BackUPS, BackUPS Pro, and
SmartUPS models; apparently the more expensive ones can reboot your
computer as well as shut it down, and some may send self-monitoring info to
your computer as well.)

I just bought the BackUPS 650, and find that it will support two whole PCs
for 6 minutes before the "battery low" alarm is triggered, so the 500
should be power enough for most single systems.

I plan to hook it up with a cable for autoshutdown, but haven't done it
yet.  (It's not entirely clear which of their many cables I should use.
The Windows software is obtained by sending in a form, and there was a
*hint* that they may send a cable as well, so I sent in the coupon and now
I'm waiting to see what actually shows up.)

At any rate, there are several daemons available for Linux.  When I get the
cable I'm going to try the apcupsd, but of course I can't actually
recommend it yet.  There are several other alternatives if that one doesn't
work out.

You can get more info on UPSen and the various daemons by searching
dejanews for mentions of UPS in this newsgroup.

Good luck,

Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas

UPS for LINUX

Post by yan seine » Fri, 27 Aug 1999 04:00:00

APC is really the only way to go.  They make the best stuff.  Why buy a
second rate UPS?  If you don;t need the performance, save teh money
altogether.

There is an excellent apcups daemon available for linux as well.  Search
for apcupsd - I think the curren tversion is something like 3.6.2

Yan

> Hi All
> I'm currently shopping around for a UPS for our Linux server. (Red Hat
> 5.2)
> I want one that can communicate with The server for automatic shutdown.
> Battery life is not as important to me as is price.  I just want to have
> the server do a clean
> shutdown in case of brown and black outs.

> APC has models starting at $259 going up to $879 (depending on battery
> life
> and outlet count).  These are the "Smart-UPS" series they come with
> shutdown software for
> Windoze Boxes. Does anyone know if there are Linux  ports of the
> software for these devices or
> where I might look to find out.?
> If not do you know of any other makes or models that might do what I
> want.

> Thanks
> Rusty

UPS for LINUX

Post by tjm » Fri, 27 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Hi.  I'm using a couple of APC Backups on
my system at home (a 500 and a 1200).  I'm
using the genpower package on a Debian
system that will shutdown the systems after
a predefined time period.  The Backups don't
give battery life reports, I don't think.
Anyway, the genpower package had some docs
on making cables for several types of power
supplies and these worked out very well for
me.  Also, check the apcupsd package which
is more specific to the APC stuff and also
has cable information for making cables and
for using the stock APC cables.  APC is supposed
to be releasing Powershute software for Linux
sometime in the near future.

  http://www.apcc.com/products/management/pcp_linux.cfm

Also, there have been good reports about Best Power
UPS's and there is downloadable software on their
web site for Unix, including Linux.

  http://www.bestpower.com/

--
tony mollica

UPS for LINUX

Post by Eric Lawso » Sun, 29 Aug 1999 04:00:00

http://www.exploits.org/~rkroll/smartupstools/

has UPS software for several different UPS boxes.

UPS for LINUX

Post by Mark J. Marshal » Thu, 02 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> http://www.exploits.org/~rkroll/smartupstools/

> has UPS software for several different UPS boxes.

I have a Back Ups Pro 650 hooked up to my home PC running Red Hat 60.
Connect it to an available serial port using the *black* cable in the
box, and download the Linux Power Chute software from APC's website,
www.apcc.com.  (The software install was pretty brainless.)  The
executable for the front end is "xpowerchute".  This is used to
configure what the UPS will do when the power goes out, when the battery
gets low on power, etc.  You can also use xpowerchute to test the UPS,
do a run-time callibration, simulate a power failure, force the server
to go down, and do various other diagnostics.

Good luck!
Mark

UPS for LINUX

Post by B'iche » Sat, 04 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>I have a Back Ups Pro 650 hooked up to my home PC running Red Hat 60.
>Connect it to an available serial port using the *black* cable in the
>box, and download the Linux Power Chute software from APC's website,
>www.apcc.com.  (The software install was pretty brainless.)  The
>executable for the front end is "xpowerchute".  This is used to

Cool! Now being I never had a Ups like that and I know Linux is
finally getting the respect it deserves. I have several questions
        Is that software in the standard .tar.gz or .tgz format or
only .RPM? I run Slackware 3.9 so I NEED .tar.gz or .tgz packages? 2.
is it libc5 or glibc based? I rather stick with libc5 over here
whenever possible.

--
                A pearl of wisdom from the y2K newsgroups:
Y2K appears to be the Baby Boomers mid-life crisis, and it has the

                        B'ichela
                        N O T E
                ---------------------

1. Anyone using a Best Patriot UPS with Linux?

        I am conducting some research (but without an NFS grant ;) on
what UPS to get for my Linux Pentium workstation.  The APC models are
cheap (and the "smart" driver for Linux just came out, making the
Back-UPS sound pretty good).  But I've heard a number of recommendations
for the Best models.  If I get a Patriot (400VA), can it support
(using powerd or another driver/daemon) functions like aborting a
shutdown if the power returns quickly?  What is it that make the
Fortress models about twice as expensive?  I intend to run a Pentium
system (and not much more, probably) off the UPS, and all I need to
have is about 5 minutes to shutdown the system.  And what about
batteries?  Are the batteries in the Best units easily replacable?
How often do they need to be replaced?  Any help would be greatly
appreciated!

-Michael

2. how do you delete a file?

3. Best UPS under Linux?

4. Printing on Solaris 2.6, SunOS4.X

5. UPS with Linux

6. chown and symbolic links

7. Which UPS for Linux?

8. SSH Tunneling - How?

9. Recommend an UPS that Linux can talk through serial port and network

10. Please recommend UPS for Linux

11. UPS for Linux

12. Recommend a UPS for Linux Server?

13. Anyone use an MGE UPS with Linux?