usb adsl modem and mandrake 9.1 help???

Post by Hyperio » Thu, 21 Aug 2003 08:12:06

Hi all :)

 I am a fairly new begginer to linux, having only installed it once or
twice before, and finaly settling with mandrake.

I just installed it tonight, and for the life of me I cant figure out
why my adsl modem conection isnt working.

Its pppoe with details as follows in winxp...

Device Name -  Zoom USB ADSL WAN Aapter
Device Type - isdn
Sever type - ppp
Transports - tcp/ip
Authetication - MD5 CHAP
Compression - None
ppp multilink framing - off

its got a bunch of other stuff in the control panel that came with the
modem, like.....

ppp over ATM VCMUX[RFC2364]

I get the power light for the modem on, but its simply not recognising
that there is a usb adsl modem at the port.....???

I would appreciate any help in setting it up , anything that anyone can
tell me about what to put in config files and were?

I can edit config files its just that I nead to no which ones to edit
and what to put in them.

The distro version is Mandrake 9.1

Cheers all
Hyperion out

Post by Benoit Delcou » Fri, 22 Aug 2003 22:01:37

> I get the power light for the modem on, but its simply not recognising
> that there is a usb adsl modem at the port.....???

usb adsl modems usually require a firmware. Check for a driver for yours
in the mandrake installer (dunno its name)

Post by Clive Dov » Fri, 22 Aug 2003 22:05:16

> Hi all :)

>  I am a fairly new begginer to linux, having only installed it once or
> twice before, and finaly settling with mandrake.

> I just installed it tonight, and for the life of me I cant figure out
> why my adsl modem conection isnt working.

> Its pppoe with details as follows in winxp...

> Device Name -  Zoom USB ADSL WAN Aapter
> Device Type - isdn
> Sever type - ppp
> Transports - tcp/ip
> Authetication - MD5 CHAP
> Compression - None
> ppp multilink framing - off

> its got a bunch of other stuff in the control panel that came with the
> modem, like.....

> ppp over ATM VCMUX[RFC2364]

> I get the power light for the modem on, but its simply not recognising
> that there is a usb adsl modem at the port.....???

> I would appreciate any help in setting it up , anything that anyone can
> tell me about what to put in config files and were?

> I can edit config files its just that I nead to no which ones to edit
> and what to put in them.

> The distro version is Mandrake 9.1

> Cheers all
> Hyperion out

People will be better able to help you if they know the make and model of
the dsl modem and whether your isp uses PPPoE or PPPoA.

1. Mandrake 9.1 and SpeedTouch ADSL modem

Hi all,

Brand new to Linux and already having problems...I have a SpeedTouch USB
ADSL modem provided by BT Internet as part of the Home 500 package and I
cannot get Mandrake 9.1 configured to use it properly - hence posting this
through Windows :-(.  Could some kind soul post (or email) a detailed
explanation of how to get it configured (with instructions simple enough for
a Linux newbie to follow!).

Cheers,

Dennis Freshwater
***Remove XYZ to reply***

2. win cd iso9660 mount from linux box

3. USB Prolink modem on Mandrake 9.1

4. replace field with sed/awk

5. Help: Transcend 7 in 1 Card Reader (USB 2) on Mandrake 9.1

6. Printing PostScript Files

7. SOLUTION: got adsl-start, dsl working with Mandrake 9.1

8. Where is jni.h file ?

9. No USB peripherials works with Mandrake 9.1

10. Belkin USB 2.0 Card/Mandrake 9.1 issues

11. SpeedTouch USB ADSL modem and Mandrake 8.1 connected but not working

12. Mandrake Control Center in Mandrake 9.1 not working