how to use MOD (Magneto Optical) drive under redhat 7.0?

how to use MOD (Magneto Optical) drive under redhat 7.0?

Post by alex » Mon, 07 May 2001 16:23:12

Hi ppl!

I have an ATAPI MOD drive Fujitsu 640MB on a generic i815-based
pc-machine with RH7.0 and updated kernel to 2.4.2

Unfortunately there's almost nothing in rh docs about MOD and all of it
is about SCSI versions.

How can I make this wonderful stuff work under linux?

Alexander

Post by Christian Garm » Mon, 07 May 2001 16:48:31

> I have an ATAPI MOD drive Fujitsu 640MB on a generic i815-based
> pc-machine with RH7.0 and updated kernel to 2.4.2

you should update to 2.4.4 ...

Quote:> Unfortunately there's almost nothing in rh docs about MOD and all of it
> is about SCSI versions.

> How can I make this wonderful stuff work under linux?

It should work fine as ATAPI TAPE or ATAPI DISK. Try to load the kernel
module or check "dmesg" after booting if the drive is recognized.

Maybe you must mount the disk as hdX4 such as the ZIP disks. The rest
should be equal to the SCSI thingie.

--
regards,

how to use MOD (Magneto Optical) drive under redhat 7.0?

Post by Ewald Pf » Mon, 07 May 2001 23:41:15

a> I have an ATAPI MOD drive Fujitsu 640MB on a generic i815-based
a> pc-machine with RH7.0 and updated kernel to 2.4.2

a> Unfortunately there's almost nothing in rh docs about MOD and all of
a> it is about SCSI versions.

a> How can I make this wonderful stuff work under linux?

I found that recent kernels have a problem with dos/vfat partitions on
MO drives under SCSI (could not read old disks anymore). Maybe this is
under SCSI only, not with IDE. I don't know, how you will find the
device with 'ATAPI' interface; maybe it is somewhere '/dev/hdx' - or but
it is some SCSI numbering again, as the term 'ATAPI' suggests somehow?

Under Linux you may make more efficient use of it, when you 'reformat'
the medium with ext2 filesystem, with no partitioning. Be aware that the
640 MB medium demands for 2048 bytes per block. So you end with
something like: 'mke2fs -b2048 -m0 /dev/hdx' (for a 'superfloppy'). Be
sure that '/dev/hdx' _is_ the drive and not some harddisk ('fdisk -l
/dev/hdx' for more info).

With the line in '/etc/fstab': '/dev/hdx /mnt/mo ext2 noauto 0 0' it is
mounted with 'mount /mnt/mo' then.

Post by Dave Stanto » Tue, 08 May 2001 16:15:00

> Hi ppl!

> I have an ATAPI MOD drive Fujitsu 640MB on a generic i815-based
> pc-machine with RH7.0 and updated kernel to 2.4.2

> Unfortunately there's almost nothing in rh docs about MOD and all of it
> is about SCSI versions.

> How can I make this wonderful stuff work under linux?

> Alexander

Have u looked at the optical HOWTO ?.

Dave

1. Support for MOD (Magneto Optical Disk) Drives ?

Hi all,

Does anyone have experience using MOD (Magneto Optical Disk)
drives with Linux ?

I would like to use a ISO10089A compatible drive
(Sony SMO-C501-00E version 3.02), for a format of
650 Mbyte, 512 byte/sector with an Adaptec SCSI host adapter.

Thanks for any help (preferrably by mail)

Juergen Schnitzler

----------------------------------

2. XF86R6 with Genoa 7400 and Sony CPD1404E

3. MOD magneto optical disc drives...

4. SUSE 8.0 and Netgear MA311

5. [Q}: Using Magneto-Optical drive with Solaris 2.2???

6. samba 2.0.7 +security=share +encrypted passwords +NT4-SP4

7. Problems Using Fujitsu Magneto-Optical Drive - Help

8. networking question fron Linux newbe

9. Magneto-optical drive as file system

10. HP 1300T Magneto Optical drive under Solaris, driver needed

11. Magneto-optical Drives

12. HP 1300T Magneto Optical drive under Solaris (summary)

13. Magneto-Optical drives ??