Ygg F94 barfs on NEC260 on GW2K p560, help!

Ygg F94 barfs on NEC260 on GW2K p560, help!

Post by Srikar Srina » Wed, 08 Feb 1995 16:47:37

Hi all,

Heres my hardware config:

Gateway 2K P5-60 with 16M RAM w/ PCI bus and IDE controller
Master Conner IDE 540M HD
Slave Western Dig. 730 M HD
NEC-CDR 260 CD-ROM IDE)
and so on...

I have Yggdrasils FAll 94 dist CD-ROM and Im trying to plug it in and
play with it.

Well, to start with, it doesnt recognise my CD-ROM drive so I did the
recommended thing and tried to start up by running RUNLINUX.BAT from
the  CD drive under DOS.

This seems to have a problem with EMM386. With EMM386 loaded EMS or
NOT) I get the error message:
EMM386: Unrecoverable privileged operation, Error #00: Press Enter to
reboot

Disabling EMM386 i.e. remming the line out of config.sys, and then
running RUNLINUX causes the machine to hang.  The CD-ROM lights flash
briefly and then the system hangs, not even responding to
Ctrl-Alt-Del.

Has anyone with the above config gotten past this stage at all? If so,
how? I think its time to turn to Slackware if I cant figure this out
soon.

Any help would be appreciated. I wouldl like to make the 39.95 I spent
count for something.

-S

Post by Harry Broomha » Thu, 09 Feb 1995 09:39:44

>Hi all,

>Heres my hardware config:

>Gateway 2K P5-60 with 16M RAM w/ PCI bus and IDE controller
>Master Conner IDE 540M HD
>Slave Western Dig. 730 M HD
>NEC-CDR 260 CD-ROM IDE)
>and so on...

>I have Yggdrasils FAll 94 dist CD-ROM and Im trying to plug it in and
>play with it.

>Well, to start with, it doesnt recognise my CD-ROM drive so I did the
>recommended thing and tried to start up by running RUNLINUX.BAT from
>the  CD drive under DOS.

>This seems to have a problem with EMM386. With EMM386 loaded EMS or
>NOT) I get the error message:
>EMM386: Unrecoverable privileged operation, Error #00: Press Enter to
>reboot

>Disabling EMM386 i.e. remming the line out of config.sys, and then
>running RUNLINUX causes the machine to hang.  The CD-ROM lights flash
>briefly and then the system hangs, not even responding to
>Ctrl-Alt-Del.

>Has anyone with the above config gotten past this stage at all? If so,
>how? I think its time to turn to Slackware if I cant figure this out
>soon.

   First of all, I don't have exactly that combination.
I have a SCSI disk instead of the EIDE.  I used
linux hdc=cdrom root=/dev/hdc with the rev.F Ygg
boot disk, and the cdrom mounted OK.

   On the ms-dross side - I believe that you must
remove *all* drivers (including himem), only
leaving enough to get the cdrom to talk.  But
I haven't tried this.

   Regards,
      Harry.

--
Harry Broomhall                                  Telephone: 01892-539282

#include "silly.ascii.graphics"

Ygg F94 barfs on NEC260 on GW2K p560, help!

Post by Shrie » Thu, 09 Feb 1995 12:00:16

: >Hi all,
: >
: >Heres my hardware config:
: >
[...]

I tried that, yanking all my TSRs out and leaving in MSCDEX and MSDOS
so my CD drive mounted and DOS started up. Well, running RUNLINUX then
produces a row of dots. WHen the dots hit the right edge of my screen
my system reboots and comes up as a DOS machine again. While the dots
are being printed I can see the CD accesslights light up.

Not sure what to try beyond that unless theres a string at the boot
prompt I can type.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Counting down before the switch
to Slackware...

Thanks a lot,

-S

--
-- _/ --------------------------
  _/    Srikar "Shrieks" Srinath

    _/  http://ftp.netcom.com/pub/sr/srikar/shrieks.html
-- _/   "Free your mind and your ass will follow." - George Clinton --
--
-- _/ --------------------------

Post by Dean Edmon » Fri, 10 Feb 1995 02:39:53

>I have Yggdrasils FAll 94 dist CD-ROM and Im trying to plug it in and
>play with it.

>Well, to start with, it doesnt recognise my CD-ROM drive so I did the
>recommended thing and tried to start up by running RUNLINUX.BAT from
>the  CD drive under DOS.

>This seems to have a problem with EMM386. With EMM386 loaded EMS or
>NOT) I get the error message:
>EMM386: Unrecoverable privileged operation, Error #00: Press Enter to
>reboot

>Disabling EMM386 i.e. remming the line out of config.sys, and then
>running RUNLINUX causes the machine to hang.  The CD-ROM lights flash
>briefly and then the system hangs, not even responding to
>Ctrl-Alt-Del.

I seem to remember someone else saying that you had to remove ALL memory
managers from your system before RUNLINUX would work. In other words, if
you have HIMEM.SYS installed then get rid of that as well.

Note that you still need all of your CD-ROM drivers installed (e.g. MSCDEX,
etc).

  - deane

1. Ygg F94 PASSWD: Help!

Hi all.
I'm a newbie of Linux and I got the Ygg Fall94 version.
I installed it successfully on my 486/40 with matsushita CD.
I changed all  things that are written in the "Errata" file fetch at
ftp.yggdrasil,com and everything works except for passwd.
I mean: I setup my personal login, called leo, as they describe in the
manual, by copying the contents of guest directories in leo:
cp ~r guest ~leo
chown -R leo ~leo
I also edit my /etc/passwd to insert the new account:
leo::20:50:Leopoldo Saggin:/home/leo:/bin/bash

I copied passwd from //system_cd/usr/bin  to  /bin
I set /usr/bin/passwd with chmod 4755

Now when I try to log as leo and set a passwd, it says to me:
Can't open /etc/ptmp after I re-type my passwd.
If I set the root passwd or I set leo passwd from root everything is ok.
It seems a problem of permission. Where I am wrong (or Ygg fails)?

Second question:
In the errata no. 7 they say to change the following permission:

# chmod +x /usr/src/linux/drivers/pcsnd/configure /usr/src/linux/makever.s

When I give this command, Linux reply that
There are no such files or directory
Is there any spelling mistake in the Ygg F94 errata relating to this?

Thank you in advance.
Please mail to:

Leopoldo Saggin

because I've problems to access to newsgroups.

2. Help - Send me your XF86Config file

3. Ygg. F94 install - x hosed

4. RH doesn't see my Millenium II Card

5. How do I change INFO color scheme?

6. IDE HDs + Panasonic 562B: cannot even install Ygg F94

7. Anyone got EXPECT working for Linux?

8. Ygg/Gateway 2K/NEC260 trouble

9. NEC260 IDE CDROM - help!

10. help: can't mount nec260 cdrom

11. NEC260 CDROM not RECOGNIZED AS i install LINUX!help!

12. On installing linux on Gateway p560