S3 virge DX chipset and redhat 5.0 install problems

S3 virge DX chipset and redhat 5.0 install problems

Post by Christophe Miche » Mon, 22 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Hello everybody
-----------------

    As a new linux user, I enthusiastically bought Red Hat 5.0 to work
with my AMD K6 233 computer. Hurricane distribution.

    Unfortunately, this great operating system never worked with my
machine and I am still sticked to stinky Windows 95. The
problem is, I am sure the following: Xwindows doesn't recognises my PCI
graphics card S3 Virge DX chipset. I keep receiving
some 'Xserver is going down, No such graphics server' when trying to
launch X with startx command.

    I am now sure that DX chipset is not recognized by S3V Xserver.

My question is therefore the following: does anybody knows how I could
do to fix this bug, I would have liked to force the
installation of SVGA server but my knowledge in linux is so little......
This was made impossible for me because the redhat
installer, once a S3 graphics detected automatically installs S3V
server.

If you can verbosely (I am a beginner) explain to me how to install SVGA
instead of S3V server either how to make linux work
with S3V and a DX S3 virge i would be grateful

Mucha thanks a lot

                        Christophe

S3 virge DX chipset and redhat 5.0 install problems

Post by Ruben He » Mon, 22 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Hi

I have the same svga card. My monitor is a CTX and about 6 years old. The
X-server had a problem with the resolution. The monitor couldn`t handle the
frequentie at what the card was set. I told the X-server I had a 640x480
monitor at 60Hz or something and it would work.
Try different resolutions and frequencies.
Good luck.
If you get it fixed, I would appreciate your solution.

>    As a new linux user, I enthusiastically bought Red Hat 5.0 to work
>with my AMD K6 233 computer. Hurricane distribution.

>    Unfortunately, this great operating system never worked with my
>machine and I am still sticked to stinky Windows 95. The
>problem is, I am sure the following: Xwindows doesn't recognises my PCI
>graphics card S3 Virge DX chipset. I keep receiving
>some 'Xserver is going down, No such graphics server' when trying to
>launch X with startx command.

>    I am now sure that DX chipset is not recognized by S3V Xserver.

>My question is therefore the following: does anybody knows how I could
>do to fix this bug, I would have liked to force the
>installation of SVGA server but my knowledge in linux is so little......
>This was made impossible for me because the redhat
>installer, once a S3 graphics detected automatically installs S3V
>server.

>If you can verbosely (I am a beginner) explain to me how to install SVGA
>instead of S3V server either how to make linux work
>with S3V and a DX S3 virge i would be grateful

>Mucha thanks a lot

>                        Christophe

1. S3 virge Dx chipset and redhat 5.0

Hello everybody
-----------------

[...]

2. SM56 modem and RH 7.2

3. s3 virge Dx chipset& redhat 5.0

4. What are you feeding? sys to newsgroups translator

5. redhat 5.0 and S3 virge DX chipset

6. .tar files

7. s3 virge Dx chipset& redhat

8. Changing passwords w/ C

9. S3 ViRGE/DX and S3 ViRGE/GX: is one better than the other?

10. SiS 530 / 5595 chipset and S3 ViRGE DX

11. S3 Virge DX Chipset

12. Redhat Linux 5.2 and S3-Virge DX problems

13. S3 Virge/DX Chipset