Question: PCI Bios messages (Unknown PCI device, IRQ probe failed)

Question: PCI Bios messages (Unknown PCI device, IRQ probe failed)

Post by Richard Ma » Fri, 29 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Does anyone know what is causing the following messages?  Should I be worried?

1) Unknown PCI device:

Probing PCI hardware.
Unknown PCI device. PCI Vendor id=1c. PCI Device id=5511. PLEASE MAIL

2) IRQ probe failed:

hdc: IRQ probe failed (0)
hdc: IRQ probe failed (0)

I just bought a new ASUS P55SP4 motherboard, rev. 1.4, Award Bios version 3.03
(flash file SS5I303.AWD).  I am running linux kernel 1.2.8.  I have an ATI
WinTurbo video card with PCI Mach 64 Bios (EPROM number 113-25408-200 1994)
and a Quantum Fireball 1080A disk.  I don't have any other hardware.

Thanks for any ideas,
        Richard.

Post by Tamran Lengy » Tue, 16 Jan 1996 04:00:00

>Does anyone know what is causing the following messages?  Should I be worried?
>1) Unknown PCI device:
>Probing PCI hardware.
>Unknown PCI device. PCI Vendor id=1c. PCI Device id=5511. PLEASE MAIL

>2) IRQ probe failed:
>hdc: IRQ probe failed (0)
>hdc: IRQ probe failed (0)
>I just bought a new ASUS P55SP4 motherboard, rev. 1.4, Award Bios version 3.03
>(flash file SS5I303.AWD).  I am running linux kernel 1.2.8.  I have an ATI
>WinTurbo video card with PCI Mach 64 Bios (EPROM number 113-25408-200 1994)
>and a Quantum Fireball 1080A disk.  I don't have any other hardware.
>Thanks for any ideas,
>    Richard.

Hello Richard,  I do not have a solution to your problem but
considering I have the same problem mabey we can help each other out.
I have an ATI mach64 Xpression (2meg DRAM) and an ASUS pentium 120
(triton chip set).  This is very similar to your configuration.
All I have found out so far is that there is some way to reconfigure
the kernal in order to force a detection.  It is best to get this
problem figured out or there is no x-windows.  I couldn't get it to
run even in monochrome or VGA.  If anyone out there has any ideas
please Email me  (and of course Richard).

P.S.  My friend has the same video card but his X-windows workes fine,
so I think it must be the motherboard.

Post by Oddgeir Kvi » Sat, 20 Jan 1996 04:00:00

>>Does anyone know what is causing the following messages?  Should I be worried?

>>1) Unknown PCI device:

>>Probing PCI hardware.
>>Unknown PCI device. PCI Vendor id=1c. PCI Device id=5511. PLEASE MAIL

>Hello Richard,  I do not have a solution to your problem but
>considering I have the same problem mabey we can help each other out.
>I have an ATI mach64 Xpression (2meg DRAM) and an ASUS pentium 120
>(triton chip set).  This is very similar to your configuration.

I have a similar problem. Linux don't recognice my Adaptec 2940, my
3Com PCI card and my PCI PCI display adapter. This computer was
bought yesterday to be used as a server for everyone in our office and
I cant put Linux on it since it dont recognice any of the PCI cards.

The Mainboard is a PCI PENTIUM SI4, with SIS chipset and AMI bios.

I was hoping to get this thing up and running in the weekend, but ....

- Oddgeir -