486DX DNS problem

Post by king » Sat, 16 Nov 2002 19:24:37

Hello,
I 've tried to install RH7.3 on a very old machine like:
TI486DX2-S 80Mhz, 16M RAM, Controller SCSI
Adaptec AT/SCSI Version 3.1, hdd, cdrom-scsi.
I'got message that I do not have enough RAM to install
Red Hat Linux on this machine.
How to resolve this problem. I've to install secondary
DNS on this machine. Could I do this using RH7.3
or I should try other Linux? Do I need special
driver for Adaptec to install system.

Help, Rafi

486DX DNS problem

Post by Tauno Voipi » Sat, 16 Nov 2002 20:23:22

> Hello,
> I 've tried to install RH7.3 on a very old machine like:
> TI486DX2-S 80Mhz, 16M RAM, Controller SCSI
> Adaptec AT/SCSI Version 3.1, hdd, cdrom-scsi.
> I'got message that I do not have enough RAM to install
> Red Hat Linux on this machine.
> How to resolve this problem. I've to install secondary
> DNS on this machine. Could I do this using RH7.3
> or I should try other Linux? Do I need special
> driver for Adaptec to install system.

The minimum installation of Red Hat is huge.

Debian and Slackware have smaller minimum installations. With 16M RAM, you
should use the text mode installation tool (no X).

The SCSI disk system needs its own drivers. Most installation kernels
provide an option of special drivers for the installation. The details
depend on the distribution.

HTH

Tauno Voipio

486DX DNS problem

Post by king » Sat, 16 Nov 2002 20:36:30

I've made a disk from RH7.0 and installation goes till the moment I've to
give a disk driver for my scsi controller. It is: Adaptec AHA 1542B and I've
not found a driver for it on web sites adapec or redhat. Who knows where
from
I can get this driver.
Thanks

486DX DNS problem

Post by Tauno Voipi » Sat, 16 Nov 2002 22:07:41

> I've made a disk from RH7.0 and installation goes till the moment I've to
> give a disk driver for my scsi controller. It is: Adaptec AHA 1542B and
I've
> not found a driver for it on web sites adapec or redhat. Who knows where
> from
> I can get this driver.

The Red Hat driver disks are a nuisance. Also, Red Hat 7.x may be totally
too bloated to fit your 486.

Please try again with e.g. Debian.

Tauno Voipio

486DX DNS problem

Post by Cono » Sat, 16 Nov 2002 22:16:37

Quote:> Hello,
> I 've tried to install RH7.3 on a very old machine like:
> TI486DX2-S 80Mhz, 16M RAM, Controller SCSI
> Adaptec AT/SCSI Version 3.1, hdd, cdrom-scsi.
> I'got message that I do not have enough RAM to install
> Red Hat Linux on this machine.
> How to resolve this problem. I've to install secondary
> DNS on this machine. Could I do this using RH7.3
> or I should try other Linux? Do I need special
> driver for Adaptec to install system.

If you stick in 64MB which is the minimum requirement you'll have no
problem.

--
_________________________
Conor Turton

ICQ:31909763
_________________________

486DX DNS problem

Post by Joe » Sun, 17 Nov 2002 02:46:57

> Hello,
> I 've tried to install RH7.3 on a very old machine like:
> TI486DX2-S 80Mhz, 16M RAM, Controller SCSI
> Adaptec AT/SCSI Version 3.1, hdd, cdrom-scsi.
> I'got message that I do not have enough RAM to install
> Red Hat Linux on this machine.
> How to resolve this problem. I've to install secondary
> DNS on this machine. Could I do this using RH7.3
> or I should try other Linux? Do I need special
> driver for Adaptec to install system.

Try one of the minimal distros designed for firewalls etc.
Check google or freshmeat for them.

486DX DNS problem

Post by Martin Blum » Sun, 17 Nov 2002 03:27:19

Quote:

> The minimum installation of Red Hat is huge.

> Debian and Slackware have smaller minimum installations. With 16M RAM, you
> should use the text mode installation tool (no X).

I managed to install SuSE 6.4 (kernel 2.2.14) on 33MHz 486 with 12 MB RAM
and 200 MB HDD.
There are still around 40MB of HDD space left and I run Apache / sendmail on
it for the family.
I started with a minimum installation, stripped it further down (although
Yast, SuSE's installer tool, complained a lot) and installed only the bare
minimum. No X though, this would take ages to start up.
The OP didn't mention his harddisk space, but for a minimal installation of
Linux, you'd need around 200 - 300 MB for the major distros. If you roll it
yourself, you can do with much less, but you have to know what you are
doing.

Quote:> I've made a disk from RH7.0 and installation goes till the moment I've to
> give a disk driver for my scsi controller. It is: Adaptec AHA 1542B and
I've
> not found a driver for it on web sites adapec or redhat. Who knows where

The driver is called aha1542 and has the following parameters
(says my SuSE 64 docu). Don't ask me what buson, busoff means. You should
find the driver on your RH installation or modules disk. It is usually
sufficient to give only the driver name, not any parameters.

Regards
Martin

486DX DNS problem

Post by Scott Hemphil » Sun, 17 Nov 2002 07:10:08

Quote:> > not found a driver for it on web sites adapec or redhat. Who knows where
> The driver is called aha1542 and has the following parameters
> (says my SuSE 64 docu). Don't ask me what buson, busoff means. You should
> find the driver on your RH installation or modules disk. It is usually
> sufficient to give only the driver name, not any parameters.

/*
 * LILO/Module params:  aha1542=<PORTBASE>[,<BUSON>,<BUSOFF>[,<DMASPEED>]]
 *
 * Where:  <PORTBASE> is any of the valid AHA addresses:
 *                      0x130, 0x134, 0x230, 0x234, 0x330, 0x334
 *         <BUSON>  is the time (in microsecs) that AHA spends on the AT-bus
 *                  when transferring data.  1542A power-on default is 11us,
 *                  valid values are in range: 2..15 (decimal)
 *         <BUSOFF> is the time that AHA spends OFF THE BUS after while
 *                  it is transferring data (not to monopolize the bus).
 *                  Power-on default is 4us, valid range: 1..64 microseconds.
 *         <DMASPEED> Default is jumper selected (1542A: on the J1),
 *                  but experimenter can alter it with this.
 *                  Valid values: 5, 6, 7, 8, 10 (MB/s)
 *                  Factory default is 5 MB/s.
 */

You don't need to give parameters if the I/O port is jumpered to 0x330
(which will conflict with MIDI, if you have it) or 0x334.  I use 0x334.

Scott
--

"This isn't flying.  This is falling, with style."  -- Buzz Lightyear

486DX DNS problem

Post by Kevin Smar » Sun, 17 Nov 2002 17:01:21

>>Hello,
>>I 've tried to install RH7.3 on a very old machine like:
>>TI486DX2-S 80Mhz, 16M RAM, Controller SCSI
>>Adaptec AT/SCSI Version 3.1, hdd, cdrom-scsi.
>>I'got message that I do not have enough RAM to install
>>Red Hat Linux on this machine.
>>How to resolve this problem. I've to install secondary
>>DNS on this machine. Could I do this using RH7.3
>>or I should try other Linux? Do I need special
>>driver for Adaptec to install system.

> If you stick in 64MB which is the minimum requirement you'll have no
> problem.

I have installed RH7.3 on a Pentium box with 32M RAM,
of which 16M was borrowed for the install.
Post install, it runs fine on 16M RAM.

Kevin

486DX DNS problem

Post by John Thompso » Sun, 17 Nov 2002 04:56:00

>> I 've tried to install RH7.3 on a very old machine like:
>> TI486DX2-S 80Mhz, 16M RAM, Controller SCSI
>> Adaptec AT/SCSI Version 3.1, hdd, cdrom-scsi.
>> I'got message that I do not have enough RAM to install
>> Red Hat Linux on this machine.
>> How to resolve this problem. I've to install secondary
>> DNS on this machine. Could I do this using RH7.3
>> or I should try other Linux? Do I need special
>> driver for Adaptec to install system.
> Try one of the minimal distros designed for firewalls etc.
> Check google or freshmeat for them.

Another option might be NetBSD.  My son set up my DHCP/DNS machine on a
5x86/133 with 32MB on NetBSD-1.5.2 and it all fit on a 250MB HD, with
about 30MB to spare...