Need to restore Master Boot Record-forgot command-Help!

Need to restore Master Boot Record-forgot command-Help!

Post by Jame » Fri, 12 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I need to restore the Master Boot Record on an ide drive in dos to fix a
corrupted Linux install. It's been such a long time since I had to do
this I've forgotten the command. I'm pretty sure it uses the /mbr switch.
If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
Jim

Need to restore Master Boot Record-forgot command-Help!

Post by Jame » Fri, 12 Mar 1999 04:00:00

After a little more thought I tried...

fdisk /mbr

...in DOS. Fixed it up right away. Hope this helps anyone else with this
problem.

Jim

Quote:> I need to restore the Master Boot Record on an ide drive in dos to fix a
> corrupted Linux install. It's been such a long time since I had to do
> this I've forgotten the command. I'm pretty sure it uses the /mbr switch.
> If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it.

> Thanks,
> Jim

Need to restore Master Boot Record-forgot command-Help!

Post by Alle » Sat, 13 Mar 1999 04:00:00

You got that right!  the full command (in DOS) is fdisk /mbr

>I need to restore the Master Boot Record on an ide drive in dos to fix a
>corrupted Linux install. It's been such a long time since I had to do
>this I've forgotten the command. I'm pretty sure it uses the /mbr switch.
>If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it.

>Thanks,
>Jim

Allen

(email addy; user ID portion has a numeral one in place of word
onespoiler, and of course, delete the bogus secondary domain of nospam.)
PC/hardware Guru, and Linux Newbie--(how DO you exit vi?)

Post by Robin Schillewaer » Sat, 13 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> I need to restore the Master Boot Record on an ide drive in dos to fix a
> corrupted Linux install. It's been such a long time since I had to do
> this I've forgotten the command. I'm pretty sure it uses the /mbr switch.
> If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it.

> Thanks,
> Jim

Hello Jim,
Go to DOS and just type 'fdisk /mbr' and the master boot record should be
restored.
With regards  Robin Schillewaert

1. Need HELP - master boot record defective!

Hi,

I had Lilo installed in the master boot record and got usually a menu to
choose the operating system I want to boot. Actually, I only get 'LI' when I
turn the power on and then the system hangs. I think, the master boot record
could be defective. Do you know any tool (for DOS) that makes my hard disk
partition(s) bootable again? How can I delete Lilo from the MBR?

2. atapicam on FreeBSD 4.7-RELEASE #1

3. Need HELP!!! master boot record defective.

4. Compile/Rebuild Question

5. Need to load master boot record

6. Serial device driver msg blocks lost

7. Need to get LILO to re-write to the Master Boot Record

8. Remote Kernel Source Level Debugger

9. LILO in my Master Boot Record? HELP

10. Help! LILO overwrote my master boot record

11. HELP!! LILO Overwritten Master Boot Record!

12. Help: reinstalling DOS - LILO - Master Boot Record

13. HELP: My master boot record was trashed!!!