Large IDE Hard Drive as a Second Hard Drive

Large IDE Hard Drive as a Second Hard Drive

Post by Ralph Chapma » Sat, 06 May 1995 04:00:00

We are running Linux on an AST Bravo MS 4/66d 486 PC. Currently we have
installed a 524 MB IDE drive.  We need to add a second hard drive and I
have attempted to add a 1.08 GB IDE drive. The drive geometry for the
second drive is 16 heads, 2100 cylinders and 63 sectors.  The AST BIOS
will not permit a user defined  drive entry of greater than 16 heads and
1024 cyclinders.  However, the BIOS in auto-detect mode asigns the drive
entry of 64 heads, 525 cylinders and 63 sectors.  MSDOS will recognize
the drive.  When Lilo loads it reads the drive geometry from the BIOS and
ignores the second drive, the 1.08 GB drive.  The Linux error message is
the drive geometry is greater that 16 heads.  I have attempted to pipe
the drive geometry to Lilo by entering the true drive geometry in the
Lilo.conf as outlined in the Linux FAQ.  Linux will not recognize the
second drive.

1. How to merge two hard drive into one logical hard drive for Linux

Hi everybody,
I have two hard drives, their capacities are 4.3 Giga byte and 3.2 Giga
byte. And I would like to merge these two hard drives into one hard
drive in order to mount them to directory "/usr" in Linux . But I don 't
know how to do that. please tell me what softwares I can use for that,
and where I can download them as well as how to set up it. If you have
spare time, please tell me as much details as posible.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Ha Le (Vietnam)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Installing 4.3R - slice creation does not work

3. Two hard drives to a single hard drive

4. Can you get RPM that runs under Slackware ????

5. Large IDE hard drive & "Big IDEs" HOWTO

6. Bootable extended partition?

7. can't mount hard second hard drive

8. no cd

9. copying hard drive to hard drive

10. Can SUSE 7.2 be installed from a local hard drive to a local hard drive

11. Hard Drive to Hard Drive Copy

12. Disk Druid , mount hard drive, partitioning hard drive

13. Once a Linux Hard Drive ALWAYS a Linus Hard Drive???