Advice wanted: Dell Optiplex GXPro

Post by Paul Meur » Tue, 21 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Hi,
I am considering buying a Dell Optiplex GXPro 200 to run Linux. Does
anybody have experience with this box?
As for the video card, I can choose between a S3 Trio V+ 2MB PCI and a
(much more expensive) Imagine 4MB. Are both cards working well with Linux
(X)?

Thanks for your help

Paul

Post by Chris Hans » Wed, 22 Jan 1997 04:00:00

   Date: Mon, 20 Jan 1997 19:24:27 +0100

   I am considering buying a Dell Optiplex GXPro 200 to run Linux. Does
   anybody have experience with this box?
   As for the video card, I can choose between a S3 Trio V+ 2MB PCI and a
   (much more expensive) Imagine 4MB. Are both cards working well with Linux
   (X)?

The OptiPlex works well running Linux.

I have the Imagine card, which works OK with XFree86, but is a bit
slow since the driver is not accelerated.  I opted to buy the
Accelerated-X server, which is very nice.

I don't know anything about the S3 card.

1. Sound for Dell Optiplex GXPro

Hi,

I am trying to configure sound for a Linux box,
namely a Dell Optiplex GXPro. It should have a
build-in sound chipset based on Crystal CS4236.
I suppose this is a pnp chipset but pnpdump
detects no pnp cars at all.
When I do modprobe sound.o the module is
loaded but the chipset is not detected ?
How should I configure the sound driver ?
I tried this:

#define CS4232_BASE 0x220
#define CS4232_IRQ 5
#define CS4232_DMA 1
#define CS4232_DMA2 3
#define CS4232_MPU_BASE 0x330
#define CS4232_MPU_IRQ 9
#define SELECTED_SOUND_OPTIONS  0x00002000

I am using OSSFree.

Thanks in advance

Dominique Larchey
LORIA

2. Glidepoint support and Mouse problems.

3. Dell OptiPlex GXPro dual CPU system with linux

4. Copying a CD to hard drive

5. Installing Linux on a Dell Optiplex GxPro 200

6. RPC: Connection Refused

7. Dell OptiPlex GXpro 200 and LINUX

8. sun4u

9. HELP! - LINUX on a DELL Optiplex GXpro

10. Dell OptiPlex GXpro Linux problems

11. Sound on Dell OptiPlex Gxpro

12. Linux on Dell OptiPlex GXPro...

13. Dell OptiPlex GXPro Problems