Modem dialing automatically!?

Post by Bill Smit » Fri, 30 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Hello,

I am attempting to set up a new USRobotics 56k internal modem.  However,
when I enter the command "setserial /dev/ttyS2 16550A,"  the modem connects
to the phone line and dials out.  What is going on, and how can I get
through the rest of the configuration process?

Thanks for your help in advance

Bill Smith

Post by Abdullah Ramazanogl » Mon, 02 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> Hello,

> I am attempting to set up a new USRobotics 56k internal modem.  However,
> when I enter the command "setserial /dev/ttyS2 16550A,"  the modem connects
> to the phone line and dials out.  What is going on, and how can I get
> through the rest of the configuration process?

> Thanks for your help in advance

> Bill Smith

Could it be that modem is set up to auto-dial some number with DTR or
DSR pulse? I'm not sure but setserial might cause reassertion of one of
those lines (while resetting serial port).
--
Abdullah Ramazanoglu    [ aramazanoglu AT demirbank DOT com DOT tr ]

Post by root » Fri, 06 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> when I enter the command "setserial /dev/ttyS2 16550A,"  the modem connects
> to the phone line and dials out.  What is going on, and how can I get
> through the rest of the configuration process?

Bill,

I suspect your linuxconf has things set up so that there's an automatic redial
when connection is lost. Sorry I can't be more specific, but such a feature
can get enabled for some reason., and it's kind of obvious when you see it.
Somehow the neighboring feature to dial when the machine boots also became
enabled.  Rattled my cage for a while ;-)

--
    Haines Brown

      www.hartford-hwp.com

1. HELP my modem dials automatically on boot

I was having trouble getting my modem to work on my Linux bax to work
so I narrowed it down to the modem being a piece of crap and bought
another one. The modem is functioning, but it dials when I boot up
Linux and I am to new to Linux to figure out what it is trying to do.
It seems to do it right when it loads the PPP stuff on boot up. Can I
modify a script that will only let the modem dail when I want to go to
the Internet.

Keith

2. How to set DHCP client on linux

3. I would like to automatically logout a user dialing in on a modem

4. New linux user

5. Cable modem..56 modem dial up, 500K cable modem download stream...

6. Printer Description File Errors????

7. Modem Problems: dial-out is ok/dial-in is not ok (Solaris 2.6)

8. XDR freeware for NT - availability?

9. Challange: Sharing One Modem for both Dial In and Dial Out.

10. dialing program; modem receives dialstring but doesn't dial?

11. Can a modem be *both* dial-in and dial-out?

12. How to stop modem dialling when no dial-tone present