ethernet Dlink DE-220 PCT not detected

Post by xavier coole » Tue, 03 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

I need help.
I am Linux-Newbie and run redhat 5.1 on 5 machines (building a linux
local
network in a high school :-)).
But the ethernet cards (Dlink DE-220 PCT, plug and play on m$ ) are not
detected by the redhat install.
The ethernet HOWTO says that those cards are supported (driver NE2000):
so
what now ?
Thanks for helping.

xavier coolen

Post by Alex Tayl » Thu, 05 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> I need help.
> I am Linux-Newbie and run redhat 5.1 on 5 machines (building a linux
> local
> network in a high school :-)).
> But the ethernet cards (Dlink DE-220 PCT, plug and play on m$ ) are not
> detected by the redhat install.
> The ethernet HOWTO says that those cards are supported (driver NE2000):
> so
> what now ?

The ne2000 driver needs to have the IO port address of the card manually
specified.  I'm not sure how this would work with plug'n'play - when I
was installing DE-220s, we always turned PnP off because it created more
problems than it solved.  You may need to use isapnptools to set it up.

In any case, once you know the card's I/O address (e.g. 0x300), you have to
specify it as a parameter on the line where the "ne" module is loaded
e.g. 'modprobe ne io=0x300'.

My syntax may be faulty but that's the general idea.

 Alex Taylor                  BA - CIS - University of Guelph