IBM 3-button scroll mouse

Post by Richard Bru » Sun, 31 Mar 2002 10:33:48

Hello all -

I am at wits end.  I have read every "scroll-mouse" post back to 1998,
and cannot seem to find the right settings.  I have an IBM desktop
(300PL), with a PS/2 mouse.  This mouse had 3 buttons, and a scroll
knobbie thing, which I believe not only goes up and down, but
left-right as well.  I do not think the knobby thing is pressable,
however.  (So, 3 buttons, 4 scroll movements.)

I am currently running RH7.2 and KDE, altho GNOME is on the machine
also.  I have edited both XF86Config and XF86Config-4 numerous times,
but, again, no setting seems to do the trick.

Thanks for any assistance...

IBM 3-button scroll mouse

Post by Scott Alle » Sun, 31 Mar 2002 21:46:22

> I am at wits end.  I have read every "scroll-mouse" post back to 1998,
> and cannot seem to find the right settings.  I have an IBM desktop
> (300PL), with a PS/2 mouse.  This mouse had 3 buttons, and a scroll
> knobbie thing, which I believe not only goes up and down, but left-right
> as well.  I do not think the knobby thing is pressable, however.  (So, 3
> buttons, 4 scroll movements.)

> I am currently running RH7.2 and KDE, altho GNOME is on the machine
> also.  I have edited both XF86Config and XF86Config-4 numerous times,
> but, again, no setting seems to do the trick.

My IBM ScrollPoint mouse works fine for me under RH7.2
I have not yet found any applications that make use of the
right/left control of the scrollpoint.

Note that mine uses a PS/2 type connection. If your's is a serial mouse
(if there is a serial ScrollPoint mouse), then this may not work.

Here's what I did to get it working:

In file /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 under Section "InputDevice" containing
Identifier "Mouse0"

  change line:  Option  "Protocol" "PS/2"
  to:           Option  "Protocol" "IMPS/2"

  add line:     Option  "Buttons" "7"

  change line:  Option  "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
  to:           Option  "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"

So, the entire section reads:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
        Option      "Buttons" "7"
        Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "on"
        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
EndSection

--
**    Scott Allen   ***   Toronto, Ontario, Canada    **
** for correct mail address remove upper case letters **

IBM 3-button scroll mouse

Post by Ines Bachk?ni » Mon, 01 Apr 2002 04:39:06

<snip> very helpful informations </snip>

wow, great, my scrollpoint WORKS!!!!!

thanx for the tip with the XF86Config-4. i edited the XF86Config
nearly hundred times, but no change.
it was XF86Config-4 i needed!!

THX!!!!
greetings
ines

IBM 3-button scroll mouse

Post by Scott Alle » Mon, 01 Apr 2002 05:22:29

> Note that mine uses a PS/2 type connection. If your's is a serial mouse
> (if there is a serial ScrollPoint mouse), then this may not work.

Oops... Sorry to followup my own posting (it was early in the morning). I
noticed that the original article mentioned that is was a PS/2 mouse, so
forget the above.

Also, My mouse only has two buttons, not three. If yours has three, then
you don't need the line

 Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "on"

And it is correct that the scrollpoint is not pressable. It is, however,
pressure sensitive. The harder you push it, the faster the scroll action.

--
**    Scott Allen   ***   Toronto, Ontario, Canada    **
** for correct mail address remove upper case letters **

1. 3-button USB mouse w/o scroll wheel?

I've been looking for a long time for a simple, plain USB 3 button mouse,
hopefully something that will work easily with Linux. It seems that all the new
USB mice have that stupid scroll-wheel for the middle button, which is totally
useless for Linux, and I hate it anyway for tons of ergonomic reasons. I'm
currently using an ADB Logitech Mouseman, which as far as I can tell was the
last Mac 3-button mouse made without the scroll wheel. And when this dies (as it
will soon, its about 4 or 5 years old), I'm in trouble.

Any suggestions? TIA

2. XView, Motif, CDE

3. good 3-button mice (possibly with scroll wheel)

4. Linuxfeed...New Linux site looking for help

5. Can 2-button mouse do 3-button mouse works?

6. Kerberos version 5... Generally Available ?

7. : 2-button vs 3-button mouse

8. Incorrect Super Block

9. Middle button on 3-button mouse not registering

10. Combining 2-button trackball with 3-button mouse

11. Setting up 3-button mouse with the middle button as wheel?

12. Make a 2-button mouse function like 3-button?

13. Emulating 3-button mouse/trackball with a 2-button device?