Can Linux run on Pentium machine with MMX?

Can Linux run on Pentium machine with MMX?

Post by Shoji Takad » Sun, 06 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Hi everyones,

I am planning to buy a PC. Is there anyone who
used Linux on a Pentium machine with MMX?
If you did, can you tell me which machine it is?

Thanks

Shoji Takada

Can Linux run on Pentium machine with MMX?

Post by pyro » Tue, 08 Apr 1997 04:00:00

I use a Dell XPS M200s, it's a 200Mhz MMX and i'm running RedHat 4.1 and
have had no problems with it so far.

"Could someone give me a signature?"

Post by Matt Kirsc » Tue, 08 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> I am planning to buy a PC. Is there anyone who
> used Linux on a Pentium machine with MMX?
> If you did, can you tell me which machine it is?

Buy an MMX Pentium for Linux, but not for the MMX extensions.
They're not much more than marketing hype to sell the
unsuspecting consumer another chip that they do not necessarily
need. Intel says, "Buy an MMX and you too can dance around in
sequined clean-room suits." Linuxers say, "Buy an MMX because
it is a better optimized CPU, and it makes Linux scream along
at unbelievable speeds, even though Linux makes no use of MMX."

The MMX Pentiums do offer a signifigant performance increase
over regular Pentiums with their larger L1 on-chip cache, and
better branch prediction. MMX itself is useless in any OS. The
only place MMX is being used is in DOS video games.

--
Mathew E. Kirsch, CLSE (Certifiable Linux Systems Engineer)
*Opinions expressed herein do not reflect those of my employer.

"If you don't have time to read the FAQ, I don't have time to read it to
you."

Post by John Gluc » Tue, 08 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> Hi everyones,

> I am planning to buy a PC. Is there anyone who
> used Linux on a Pentium machine with MMX?
> If you did, can you tell me which machine it is?

> Thanks

> Shoji Takada

Hi

I don't have an MMX machine but there is no reason why linux should not
run on one.

MMX stnds for MultiMedia eXtensions. It's a "regular" pentium
instruction set with some extra instructions.

For the full scoop:

http://www.intel/com

John Gluck