DEC 21041 chip support with Kingston PCI ethernet

DEC 21041 chip support with Kingston PCI ethernet

Post by Salim Qadr » Thu, 22 May 1997 04:00:00

Hi,

I would like to know if the Kingston Technology bus mastering PCI card
called the EtheRx works with the generic DEC 2104x driver.  The
Ethernet HOWTO says that it _may_ run depending on how the
manufacturer programs some GPR.

If the Kingston driver does not work, could you please reccomend
another moderately priced ($50 US) card that I can buy from Datacomm
warehouse that is based on the same chip set.

PS. I am planning on installing Linux for the 1st time ever, and so I
would like to know if I have to reinstall it if I add an ethernet card
later.

Thanks,
Salim

--

"The totalitarian system of thought control is far less effective than the
 democratic one, since the official doctrine parroted by the intellectuals

Post by Donovan Read » Thu, 22 May 1997 04:00:00

> Hi,

> I would like to know if the Kingston Technology bus mastering PCI card
> called the EtheRx works with the generic DEC 2104x driver.  The
> Ethernet HOWTO says that it _may_ run depending on how the
> manufacturer programs some GPR.

> If the Kingston driver does not work, could you please reccomend
> another moderately priced ($50 US) card that I can buy from Datacomm
> warehouse that is based on the same chip set.

> PS. I am planning on installing Linux for the 1st time ever, and so I
> would like to know if I have to reinstall it if I add an ethernet card
> later.

> Thanks,
> Salim

Yes. We ship systems with the Kingston NIC, and have had only two fail
in over a year. Linux likes 'em!
--

Donovan Ready,
Lindsay Computer Systems

Before sending unsolicited e-mail, be sure to see
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/47/227.html

DEC 21041 chip support with Kingston PCI ethernet

Post by Scott Lai » Fri, 23 May 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

>I would like to know if the Kingston Technology bus mastering PCI card
>called the EtheRx works with the generic DEC 2104x driver.  The
>Ethernet HOWTO says that it _may_ run depending on how the
>manufacturer programs some GPR.

It works fine.  I've got about a half dozen of them in different Linux
boxes.

Scott

1. Driver for ethernet card with DEC 21041 Chip?

Hi,

I need a DR3 kernel which supports a Kingston ethernet card with a Digital
21041-PA chip. Could somebody supply me with such a kernel or give me
instructions how to build one with a changed tulip.c file (what are the
according the source files and where do I get them, how are they compiled,
where do they have to go, ...)

The Details:

I installed MKLinux DR3 on my PowerMac 4400/200. With some fiddling around
I managed to get it running, but only with the ethernet card removed. It is
from Kingston with the DEC 21041-PA chip. With the card it crashes with an
error message related to the ethernet card. Also I read some related docs
on the net about cards with this chip are not supported/cause problems. So,
I am pretty sure that this is the problem. To solve the problem it was
recommended to change the tulip.c file and to recompile the kernel. Now,
this is where I got stuck. I could not find the tulip.c file. Furthermore,
I don't know which files I need to build the kernel.

Thanks a lot - Michael.
--
Dr. Karl-Michael Schindler
Martin-Luther-Universit?t Halle-Wittenberg

email: michael(AT)ep3.uni-halle.de

Tel. (0345) 55 25563  Telefax (0345) 55 27160

2. netscape dies...

3. Q:SMC EtherPower 10baseT PCI, with a DEC 21041 chip

4. reading core files

5. DEC 21041 PCI Ethernet configuration

6. Samba to accept other language files..

7. share IRQ of SMC PCI Ethernet Card(DEC 21041) + SCSI Host Adapter

8. bugtraq list

9. Debian Etch, DEC 21041 NIC chip set

10. Network Problem (DEC Chip 21041)

11. help setting up SMC etherpower pci with a 21041 chip.

12. Need help with a Linksys PCI Combo Board (DEC 21041 Tulip)