M-Audio Revolution 5.1/7/1 sound card under Linux?

M-Audio Revolution 5.1/7/1 sound card under Linux?

Post by ANT.. » Wed, 04 Aug 2004 14:36:06

Is anyone here using this sound card? If so, then how is the driver
support? Does the driver use all the features including EAX? I am
planning to use it for *, DVDs, and music playing.

Thank you in advance. :)
--
"The ants are my friends, they're blowin' in the wind. The ant, sir, is
 blowin' in the wind." --the misheard lyrics to Bob Dylan's "Blowin' in

   \ _ /      Nuke ANT from e-mail address if your e-mail was returned.
    ( )

Post by Clemens Ladisc » Wed, 04 Aug 2004 19:39:17

> how is the driver support? Does the driver use all the features

ALSA's snd-ice1724 driver supports all features of the hardware.

Quote:> including EAX?

EAX is implemented in software, and patented by Creative.
(short answer: no)

Regards,
Clemens

Post by ANT.. » Thu, 05 Aug 2004 12:27:28

> > how is the driver support? Does the driver use all the features
> ALSA's snd-ice1724 driver supports all features of the hardware.
> > including EAX?
> EAX is implemented in software, and patented by Creative.
> (short answer: no)

Dang, how do those Linux games with EAX work then? Does the game companies
supply EAX drivers for those games only?
--

Post by Stephane » Sun, 15 Aug 2004 05:32:17

> Is anyone here using this sound card? If so, then how is the driver
> support? Does the driver use all the features including EAX? I am
> planning to use it for *, DVDs, and music playing.

> Thank you in advance. :)

The commercial OSS drivers (http://www.veryComputer.com/) support this device and
it's much easier to configure/run these drivers compared to ALSA. I got fedup of
using ALSA's horrible mixers. The OSS drivers are free and you only need to pay
$20 if you want support.

ALSA is just too complicated for no good reason.

Later....

Steph.

Post by ANT.. » Mon, 16 Aug 2004 01:21:47

> > Is anyone here using this sound card? If so, then how is the driver
> > support? Does the driver use all the features including EAX? I am
> > planning to use it for *, DVDs, and music playing.

> > Thank you in advance. :)
> The commercial OSS drivers (http://www.veryComputer.com/) support this device and
> it's much easier to configure/run these drivers compared to ALSA. I got fedup of
> using ALSA's horrible mixers. The OSS drivers are free and you only need to pay
> $20 if you want support.

What? You have to pay for OSS drivers?? I thought the whole point of
Linux was opensource especially with drivers. I was hoping to get away
from Windows OS' for general desktop usage beside * which can't
be avoided.

Quote:> ALSA is just too complicated for no good reason.

Yeah, that is what I heard too years ago. I thought by now, it would be
improved.
--
      "I go out of my way to avoid stepping on ants." --Terry McGovern,
   daughter of Senator George and Eleanor McGovern, subject of the book

   \ _ /      Nuke ANT from e-mail address if your e-mail was returned.
    ( )

1. Get M-Audio Revolution 7.1 or Creative Lab's SoundBlaster Audigy2?

Hi. I am researching to find a new sound card to replace (currently a
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live! Platinum [LiveDrive not installed]
for my next computer upgrade (AMD64 or P4) in two months.

I heard a lot of great things about M-Audio Revolution 7.1's audio
quality, drivers, support, etc. However, its EAX support is very poor
especially in gaming. I am a big PC gamer (play a lot of newer games
like DOOM 3, UT2004, etc.).

I don't like Creative Lab's stuff because of poor/buggy driver, bad
support, and so-so quality. But its hardware EAX is nice for gaming.

Since I am still going to use my old Klipsch ProMedia v2-400 speakers
(4.1), I won't be using every features of the sound card like 7 speakers
support.

Please note that I will be planning to play Linux native games (Q3A,
UT2004, Enemy Territory, RTCW) as well so driver support is important. I
was not impressed with emu10k1 driver in Red Hat Linux 7.2. Quality and
support was bad. Not even EAX support!

Thank you in advance for any advices. :)
--
"The ants are my friends, they're blowin' in the wind. The ant, sir, is
 blowin' in the wind." --the misheard lyrics to Bob Dylan's "Blowin' in
                                                              the Wind"
  /\___/\

   \ _ /      Nuke ANT from e-mail address if your e-mail was returned.
    ( )

2. 3.2 to 4.0 upgrade

3. 0.9.2 alsa drivers and m-audio revolution HELP!

4. Linux 2.2.0 Kernel Announcement ?

5. 'still' no sound / M-Audio Audiophile 192 (Envy24 | ice1712) / alsa

6. COPS for BSD/OS 1.1 or 2.0?

7. M-audio usb audio interface and alsa

8. Sunday times article.

9. Linux driver for Terratec Aureon 5.1 fun sound card

10. Crystal SOUND card failure in LINUX, RED HAT 5.1

11. Linux drivers for the SB Live 5.1 sound card

12. ??: `cat sound.au >/dev/audio` Noisy After New Sound Card Installed??

13. M-audio programs??