Asus A7Pro or Abit KT7?

Post by Charle » Tue, 12 Dec 2000 05:46:54

Hi,

I'm building a Duron linux/BSD box, and I cannot decide which motherboard to
use. Has anyone had any troubles or good experiances with either the Asus
A7Pro or Abit KT7? These are the two boards I have narrowed it down to. Are
either of these boards incompatible with linux/BSD? Thanks.

Charles

Asus A7Pro or Abit KT7?

Post by acl.. » Tue, 12 Dec 2000 09:50:38

I have used and had great success with the Asus A7V.  I highly recommend it.

Aaron Cline

Quote:> Hi,

> I'm building a Duron linux/BSD box, and I cannot decide which
motherboard to
> use. Has anyone had any troubles or good experiances with either the Asus
> A7Pro or Abit KT7? These are the two boards I have narrowed it down
to. Are
> either of these boards incompatible with linux/BSD? Thanks.

> Charles

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Asus A7Pro or Abit KT7?

Post by Michael Sierchi » Tue, 12 Dec 2000 13:17:59

> I have used and had great success with the Asus A7V.  I highly recommend it.

Me too.  I'd rething using the Duron, since the T-birds are pretty
inexpensive now:

Thunderbird-750...........................$135
Thunderbird-800...........................$159

etc.

Asus A7Pro or Abit KT7?

Post by Natali » Tue, 12 Dec 2000 16:26:58

Hello guys, according to Asus's URL for A7V, it supports
ATA66/100
http://www.asus.com/products/motherboard/socketa/a7v/index.html

But i keep seeing people having so much problems getting Linux to even
boot from CD and installing on a ATA66/100 drives.

Since both of you have successfully installed it, It would be nice
if you could state what other hardware you have in there.

The only thing thats stopping me from upgrading my hardware is this
ATA66/100 thingy.

/natalie

> > I have used and had great success with the Asus A7V.  I highly recommend it.

> Me too.  I'd rething using the Duron, since the T-birds are pretty
> inexpensive now:

> Thunderbird-750...........................$135
> Thunderbird-800...........................$159

> etc.

Asus A7Pro or Abit KT7?

Post by Michel Talo » Tue, 12 Dec 2000 17:56:30

Quote:> Hi,
> I'm building a Duron linux/BSD box, and I cannot decide which motherboard to
> use. Has anyone had any troubles or good experiances with either the Asus
> A7Pro or Abit KT7? These are the two boards I have narrowed it down to. Are
> either of these boards incompatible with linux/BSD? Thanks.
> Charles

I have an AbitKT7. Works very well with Linux, FreeBSD and Windows. For sure
the Asus is very good also. To get better performance the Abit BIOS needs some
tweaking, for example putting the ram settings to Turbo. You can get an Abit
card with a Raid HighPoint controller for very cheap, and it is supported by
FreeBSD.

--
Michel Talon

Asus A7Pro or Abit KT7?

Post by Michel Talo » Tue, 12 Dec 2000 17:58:45

Quote:> Hello guys, according to Asus's URL for A7V, it supports
> ATA66/100
> http://www.asus.com/products/motherboard/socketa/a7v/index.html
> But i keep seeing people having so much problems getting Linux to even
> boot from CD and installing on a ATA66/100 drives.
> Since both of you have successfully installed it, It would be nice
> if you could state what other hardware you have in there.
> The only thing thats stopping me from upgrading my hardware is this
> ATA66/100 thingy.
> /natalie

I don't know with RedHat, but Mandrake installed without any problem on ata66
drives, and uses them at full speed. Idem for FreeBSD.

--
Michel Talon

Asus A7Pro or Abit KT7?

Post by Chuck McCrobi » Wed, 13 Dec 2000 16:11:34

I have the Abit KT7 with 700 MHz Thunderbird.  I'm not sure if its the
Intraserver SCSI/Ethernet combo card I have or the motherboard, but the
system refuses to even consider booting off the SCSI card.  The
SCSI/Ethernet sits behind a PCI/PCI bridge - maybe its the combination
of firmware between the card and motherboard.

Other than that, I have had no problems with the Abit/Thunderbird combo.

> Hi,

> I'm building a Duron linux/BSD box, and I cannot decide which motherboard to
> use. Has anyone had any troubles or good experiances with either the Asus
> A7Pro or Abit KT7? These are the two boards I have narrowed it down to. Are
> either of these boards incompatible with linux/BSD? Thanks.

> Charles

Asus A7Pro or Abit KT7?

Post by Peter Mutsaer » Thu, 14 Dec 2000 19:47:34

    N> Since both of you have successfully installed it, It would be
    N> nice if you could state what other hardware you have in there.

It's in the FreeBSD-stable kernel since a few months now.
It's not yet in the normal Linux kernels, AFAIK, but several
"distributions" deliver non-standard (patched) kernels; some of those
might have the ATA-100 driver included.

--
Peter Mutsaers  |  Dbendorf    | UNIX - Live free or die

1. Abit KT7 / Asus V6800 Deluxe boot probs

Hi all,

I've just installed this brand new machine with Thunderbird 800, 256mb
ram,
Abit KT7 mainboard, Asus V6800 Deluxe (GeForce), 300W power supply, etc.
etc.
(no complete system, it's built from individually chosen parts).

Unfortunately, the bloody thing won't even boot a simple DOS, the only
thing
that came even halfway to running was tom's rootboot, after removing
everything
but the VGA card, floppy drive and a single 20gb eide drive (samsung).

BIOS settings are conservative, nothing fancy.

Any ideas what might be wrong?

I still have to try booting with a different VGA card, but I'm somewhat
bothered that this combination doesn't run immediately...

Greetings, Eric

2. Solstice AdminSuite 2.2 and Solaris 6

3. Q: MB -- Abit KT7-RAID against Asus A7V

4. Hauppauge TV card and FreeBSD3.2

5. ASUS A7PRO Motherboard

6. XDM + FVWN problem

7. Linux 2.4.5: serial problems with ASUS A7PRO PCI (VIA VT82C686A)

8. X windows problems on Solaris 2.5

9. All In Wonder, Asus A7Pro

10. IDE-DMA on an ASUS A7PRO

11. Disk corruption - Abit KT7, 2.2.19+ide patches

12. UDMA write warnings on Abit KT7

13. LILO problems with RH7.1 and ABit KT7-Raid