Mouse Systems Optical Mice supported by Linux 2.0 kernel?

Mouse Systems Optical Mice supported by Linux 2.0 kernel?

Post by Dale G. Fri » Fri, 21 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Linux Gurus:

Are the Mouse Systems optical mice (serial, 3 buttons) supported by
Linux 2.0?  I see that "Mouse Systems" is supported (according to
Hardware-HOWTO on tsx-11), but is that their optical mouse?  They told
me on the phone today that it is not, but perhaps they are too lazy to
test it.

Any info is appreciated.  Thanks.

-Dale

Dale Fried

--
Dale Fried, proud husband-to-be of DIANA FANTI

77 Massachusetts Ave                    617-253-4863 (phone)

Post by Marti » Sat, 22 Feb 1997 04:00:00

> Linux Gurus:

> Are the Mouse Systems optical mice (serial, 3 buttons) supported by
> Linux 2.0?  I see that "Mouse Systems" is supported (according to
> Hardware-HOWTO on tsx-11), but is that their optical mouse?  They told
> me on the phone today that it is not, but perhaps they are too lazy to
> test it.

I've used their optical mouse on two different Linux systems, one with
XFree86 and the other with X-inside's X server.  Works great.  If you
are unfortunate enough to have to use Windows NT, however, you will have
to flip the button on the bottom that forces it to act like a 2-button
Microsoft mouse.  If you don't, NT will disable your mouse and you will
have to flip the switch then reboot NT.

--
Martin M. Hunt

Post by Geoff Sho » Sat, 22 Feb 1997 04:00:00

:
: Are the Mouse Systems optical mice (serial, 3 buttons) supported by
: Linux 2.0?  I see that "Mouse Systems" is supported (according to
: Hardware-HOWTO on tsx-11), but is that their optical mouse?  They told
: me on the phone today that it is not, but perhaps they are too lazy to
: test it.

Yes, MouseSystems refers to the protocol as well as the company.  (The
other main serial mouse protocol is Microsoft.)  The optical setup is
just hardware - the communication is the same as with all three-button
mice, so it will work fine.  If it has a switch for 2/3 buttons, all
the better.  If not, any problems can be solved in the Serial mouse
mini-HOWTO, from your local sunsite.unc.edu mirror or from:
        http://kipper.york.ac.uk/mouse.html

        Geoff
Ever sit and watch ants? They're always busy with                Geoff Short

can't identify with that kind of work ethic. http://kipper.york.ac.uk/~geoff

Mouse Systems Optical Mice supported by Linux 2.0 kernel?

Post by Ray Curti » Sat, 22 Feb 1997 04:00:00

dgf> Linux Gurus:
dgf> Are the Mouse Systems optical mice (serial, 3 buttons) supported by
dgf> Linux 2.0?  I see that "Mouse Systems" is supported (according to
dgf> Hardware-HOWTO on tsx-11), but is that their optical mouse?  They told
dgf> me on the phone today that it is not, but perhaps they are too lazy to
dgf> test it.

I am using that very one right now on RedHat linux system with much sucess.
It is the Optical 3 button mouse, just remember to add the protocol
MouseSystems. It seems like a very nice mouse.

--

Key fingerprint =  FC 2A C0 3E 73 B8 1F 59  3A D0 00 9B CB AF 5C 1D

An idea is not responsible for the people who believe in it.